Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport submission - Home and away

Wikiposts

Passport submission - Home and away

Old Aug 1st 2011, 5:12 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport submission - Home and away

What can my OH and I do about submitting passports when requested by London VO, as I am still here in the UK and he is in Canada working?
If I am still here and haven't tied up our personal affairs by the time the request comes, I would want to go to London and submit my passport in person, but he cannot be here to do that as he could not take such a long time off work.
We also could not post them together, as we are not in the same country!
Does it matter if I get mine in person and his by post?
Could he send his passport to me and could I take them both to the VO or does each person need to take their own?
If anyone knows about this or has any experiences which are relevant I would be very grateful.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 5:20 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport submission - Home and away

Originally Posted by helcat12
What can my OH and I do about submitting passports when requested by London VO, as I am still here in the UK and he is in Canada working?
If I am still here and haven't tied up our personal affairs by the time the request comes, I would want to go to London and submit my passport in person, but he cannot be here to do that as he could not take such a long time off work.
We also could not post them together, as we are not in the same country!
Does it matter if I get mine in person and his by post?
Could he send his passport to me and could I take them both to the VO or does each person need to take their own?
If anyone knows about this or has any experiences which are relevant I would be very grateful.
He can post them to you before you go drop them off in person.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Hi Helcat,

We were in a similar situation and asked our attorney if my hubby could courier the passport to me in UK, she said it was fine and I then went in person got the visas, two weeks later collected them and couriered it back to him no problem.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:02 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much to both of you for replying.
Thankfully, it seems simple, which is unusual for this process so far!!
I could do with something that is straightforward and doesn't involve loads of stress and waiting longer than expected, so dropping the passports off would have been my method of choice. I was just worried that there would be something that prevented me taking such a simple route, but it seems not.
Hurrah!!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
He can post them to you before you go drop them off in person.
That's right, but she'll also need a letter of authorisation from her husband, allowing her to drop it off on his behalf. At least, the Buffalo office does, I'd imagine London would have the same requirement.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:53 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Mhut
Hi Helcat,

We were in a similar situation and asked our attorney if my hubby could courier the passport to me in UK, she said it was fine and I then went in person got the visas, two weeks later collected them and couriered it back to him no problem.
Thanks, Mhut for letting me know about this experience.
Did you need any letter of authorisation, as mentioned by wolstie in the previous post?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:17 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
That's right, but she'll also need a letter of authorisation from her husband, allowing her to drop it off on his behalf. At least, the Buffalo office does, I'd imagine London would have the same requirement.
You don't need that in London. Well, we didn't so i imagine it's the same all round.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:29 am
Island life at last

You don't need that in London. Well, we didn't so i imagine it's the same all round.
Thanks for that! I assumed that either you or Mhut would have mentioned it if you had needed such a thing, but I thought I had better check. I am hoping for meds very soon now and then with house sale, probably new Police checks to get and cats to ship I just need to know exactly what I am doing about all the steps so I can be prepared.
It'll probably all come at once, knowing my life!
Why is it that things never seem to space themselves out in a nice, easily-managed kind of way?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Hi - I think PA or spouse can deliver or pick up the passports.

We went with both of us, but only 1 of us was allowed in anyway so I had to wait outside both times!

Wayne.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by helcat12
Thanks, Mhut for letting me know about this experience.
Did you need any letter of authorisation, as mentioned by wolstie in the previous post?
Hi Helcat,

You are welcome and no did not need any letter from hubby, I just took all our family passports and docs requested and handed them in. In return I got a raffle ticket and a info letter when to pick them up, which is after two weeks.

They will ask you to read the file number when you are handing in the Passports, don't forget to put the names and file number at the back of each photo.

Regards

Last edited by Mhut; Aug 2nd 2011 at 6:16 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:10 am
Island life at last

Brilliant! Thanks Mhut, el richo and Waggle for you personal experiences. So kind of you to post and help me put my mind at rest.