Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport request for PR Visa - Can I post it from Canada?

Passport request for PR Visa - Can I post it from Canada?

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

craig_hoxton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport request for PR Visa - Can I post it from Canada?

Hello,
I have just received my "Request for Passports and Photos" from Canada House in London today just over three months after applying for Permanent Residency - Family Class.

Thing is, I'm already in Canada on a visitor visa (they stapled a Visitor Record into my passport giving me a maximum six month's stay - no working or studying, eh) as I moved with my Canadian GF to Toronto three weeks ago.

Can I post them my British passport and photos from Canada (anybody here done this?) and wait for them to send it back to me - or should I fly back to London, hand it over in person and then fly back to "land"?

If I choose the postal option - can I "flagpole" via the US or do I have to fly to the UK in order to fly back and "land"?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:48 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport request for PR Visa - Can I post it from Canada?

Courier it to London asking to be returned to your Canadian address. Then "flagpole".
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

We have just done this 3 wks ago.

We live in NZ and they would not courier our passports back to NZ. We had to have our passports couriered to an address in England and our friends then couriered them out to us.

They will not guarantee the passports or pay the excess courier fee.

Get someone in England to help you out here it would be a lot easier and your guaranteed to get the passports back

Hope this helps
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:09 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

CHC London will send them back to you in Canada. Thats what we did, as have many others...
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Wve already had them sent to us but not before I had to send them to friends in England.

The agency we were going through advised us that they would not send them to us as we are New Zealand. I suppose it might be different if it is Canada but otherwise we were told tht it had to an English address.

Ah well it might work for some but in our case it didnt, no harm in askin though.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Passport request for PR Visa

Guys thanks so much for your comments - it made my day!

Will post the stuff back to London and then wait for them to post back to Canada and then maybe go on a little trip to Cuba, as (surprise, surprise) I've had problems at the US border.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Just a (belated) update:

Got my passport back from Canada House about two weeks after sending it and then the following week, went on a trip to Niagara Falls with GF to leave Canada and then come back in to land.

Took 20 mins going through the landing process returning to Canada (US side took 40 mins waiting to fill in Visa Waiver).

So, PR application sent in May, request for passport and photos came in August, passport returned late-August and I "landed" on Sept 20.

In all, it took me about four months from applying for Family Class (Common Law) PR to actually getting it.