Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport Request letter -- Photo Specifications

Passport Request letter -- Photo Specifications

Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Diddley1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Request letter -- Photo Specifications

Hello can somebody help it seems the UK Candian commission has duplicated the second page of my passport request letter, therefore I do not have the photo specifications for the perminent residency visa card. I imagine they are the same type as those I sent with my application but can someone confirm as the High commission keep telling me to refer to the letter they sent me.

I am all ready to send them in but I am concerned about the photos I have obtained.

Please help
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Passport Request letter -- Photo Specifications

The photo specifications are a bit different from normal passport photos.
Our PPR letter states:
The two photographs must
- show a full front view of the person's head and shoulders, showing their full face centred in the middle of the photograph
- have a plain white background
- be identical (black and white or colour)
- be produced on single weight matte paper
- measure betwee 25mm and 30mm from chin to crown
- have a finished size of 35mm x 45mm

You also have to write your file number and the name of the person on the back of their photo - not in ball point pen.
This topic has come up often, and if you search PPR photos you should find the threads.
The important things seem to be WHITE background and MATTE paper - which you do not get as standard.
In the end, we got photos taken by a professional photographer exactly to those specifications.
Good luck.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, yes we got these done like this from the photographer but I had to download the spec.

But the other bits you mention about the back are very helpful thank you
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Diddley1969 View Post
Thanks for that, yes we got these done like this from the photographer but I had to download the spec.

But the other bits you mention about the back are very helpful thank you
HI

Are you in Canada? If yes go to Costco, they do them several times daily as I had mine done there all the time for immigration purposes. They know the specifications by heart as I was there with my measurements from the form. They knew instantly what i was talking about. Its about $6.99 for a set of 2 photos.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

canman will become famous soon enoughcanman will become famous soon enough

Hi had my PPR Thursday measured my passport pics I had left over and found no difference to the original ones I used, happy days. I'll send the same ones again
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:43 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibbye13 View Post
HI

Are you in Canada? If yes go to Costco, they do them several times daily as I had mine done there all the time for immigration purposes. They know the specifications by heart as I was there with my measurements from the form. They knew instantly what i was talking about. Its about $6.99 for a set of 2 photos.
I got mine done at Costco in Windsor on Thursday and they were going to give me the old spec of a face measurement of 35mm until I showed them the PPR letter with 30mm on it. So worth double checking that they are working to the new spec...
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by G77 View Post
I got mine done at Costco in Windsor on Thursday and they were going to give me the old spec of a face measurement of 35mm until I showed them the PPR letter with 30mm on it. So worth double checking that they are working to the new spec...
Strange as in your case you mentioned 30 mm for the face but in my PPR letter which i received last week it mentioned the specification for the face 35 mm as I took the letter with me to Costco.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

canman will become famous soon enoughcanman will become famous soon enough

Hi
My PPR Letter states measurements between 25mm and 30mm chin to crown and have a (finished size photo of 35mm by 45mm which is the overall size of the photo coloured section) hope this helps.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:55 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibbye13 View Post
Strange as in your case you mentioned 30 mm for the face but in my PPR letter which i received last week it mentioned the specification for the face 35 mm as I took the letter with me to Costco.
Which CIC office are you using? I suspect some probably haven't changed over to the "new" spec.... Certainly Costco were unaware of the change!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:37 am
Just Joined

japanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant futurejapanada has a brilliant future

25 - 30mm is the spec I received from CHC London this Tuesday.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Diddley1969 View Post
Hello can somebody help it seems the UK Candian commission has duplicated the second page of my passport request letter, therefore I do not have the photo specifications for the perminent residency visa card. I imagine they are the same type as those I sent with my application but can someone confirm as the High commission keep telling me to refer to the letter they sent me.

I am all ready to send them in but I am concerned about the photos I have obtained.

Please help
Well I went with the format that was their website, and I did get an email of the letter I was supposed to get from the embassy which seems to match.

Had a nightmare with the writing on the back, pencil did not work, and marker pens simply did not dry.

Went for ballpoint in the end (just lightly though) the only thing that would take.

Never seems straight forward this sort of thing.