British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Passport request and I am not ready! need extension. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/passport-request-i-am-not-ready-need-extension-704622/)

Nimra Feb 9th 2011 9:10 am

Passport request and I am not ready! need extension.

Hello to all,
And The brown envelop arrived!

Iam the oldest one in this que applied December 2005.one medical expired, other was requested last year, Now I got request for passport, but there are some issues beyond my control, Even validating my visa seems difficult.
Can I ask for extension? is it difficult to get an extension?
Thanks

christmasoompa Feb 9th 2011 10:00 am

Re: Passport request and I am not ready! need extension.

Originally Posted by Nimra (Post 9163659)
Hello to all,
And The brown envelop arrived!

Iam the oldest one in this que applied december 2005.one medical expired, other was requested last year, Now I got request for passport, but their are some issues beyond my control, Even validating my visa seems difficult.
Can I ask for extension? is it difficult to get an extension?
Thanks

You are aware that you don't actually have to move to Canada yet? You can just land to activate your PR status, then turn around and get on the next plane back if you want to. You've then got approx 3 years before you actually have to go and live in Canada.

Don't believe you can ask for an extension either.

Nimra Feb 9th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9163742)
You are aware that you don't actually have to move to Canada yet? You can just land to activate your PR status, then turn around and get on the next plane back if you want to. You've then got approx 3 years before you actually have to go and live in Canada.

umn ya, I don't think I would be able to validate this year,way too expensive to go and back.Iam planning to move permanantly but only after this year.

I think i have read previously some one requested extension,searching threads:)

christmasoompa Feb 9th 2011 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Nimra (Post 9163796)
umn ya, I don't think I would be able to validate this year,way too expensive to go and back.Iam planning to move permanantly but only after this year.

I think i have read previously some one requested extension,searching threads:)

I know people have requested extensions before if they've had PPR very close to their medicals expiring, but it's always been refused. We recently had somebody that only had two weeks to land after receiving PR before their medical expired, they still didn't get an extension.

Got to ask but if you can't even afford the flight then how are you going to show proof of funds and afford the move?

Have seen from your other threads that you've also applied for an Australian visa, so if you're no longer interested in moving to Canada then perhaps you shouldn't bother even getting the PR?

Nimra Feb 9th 2011 10:54 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9163742)

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9163860)
I know people have requested extensions before if they've had PPR very close to their medicals expiring, but it's always been refused. We recently had somebody that only had two weeks to land after receiving PR before their medical expired, they still didn't get an extension.

Got to ask but if you can't even afford the flight then how are you going to show proof of funds and afford the move?

Have seen from your other threads that you've also applied for an Australian visa, so if you're no longer interested in moving to Canada then perhaps you shouldn't bother even getting the PR?

Thanks christmasoompa, At this stage Iam double minded.so confused, for Canada I have applied a long time ago and don't want to miss some thing coming to my way.I wish i get extension I try my best.thanks any way.

christmasoompa Feb 9th 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Nimra (Post 9163879)
Thanks christmasoompa, At this stage Iam double minded.so confused, for Canada I have applied a long time ago and don't want to miss some thing coming to my way.I wish i get extension I try my best.thanks any way.

But as I said, even if you do get the extension (unlikely) then how are you going to be able to show proof of funds if you don't even have the money for a flight?

Nimra Feb 9th 2011 11:08 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9163886)
But as I said, even if you do get the extension (unlikely) then how are you going to be able to show proof of funds if you don't even have the money for a flight?

we do have funds just simply don't want to waste on going and coming back thing.I need a year time to settle things up before leaving for good.

christmasoompa Feb 9th 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Nimra (Post 9163917)
we do have funds just simply don't want to waste on going and coming back thing.I need a year time to settle things up before leaving for good.

Ah, I see. Don't think it would be a waste of money - if you don't 'land' to activate your PR then you lose it, so it is kind of essential!

You can land and then return for the year or so you need before moving for good, no problem.

james.mc Feb 9th 2011 11:28 am

I'm in christmasoompa's camp.

Surely the cost of a return flight to trigger your PR, at low season, is money well spent when you consider the time and effort plus the wait (6 years) you have put in applying for PR in the first instance.

Waggle Feb 9th 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9163860)

I concur. The cost of the flights are a small % of the total costs of doing this, and it IS required so it's not wasted money. Why not use the recce trip to investigate employment and accomodation in the area you intend to live?

Anyway, never heard of an extension being granted, so you have 1 year from date medicals were completed to land. Try to look at something off-season, you can land anywhere in Canada so Nova Scotia from the UK is likely to be cheaper flights than Vancouver, for example.

Wayne.

iaink Feb 9th 2011 2:35 pm

Another in the "cost of flight to land and leave again is a drop in the bucket" camp...

james.mc Feb 9th 2011 2:37 pm

Can I just clarify something here, as this thread is the first time I've seen mentioned... not that I was searching for it, but the importance hit me when I read it.

I believe the question is still on topic for this thread...

A PR must be triggered within one year of the date the medical was completed and not one year from the date the PR Visa was issued?
(note: Not sure on the validity of the visa but you hopefully see what I'm asking)

Zoe Bell Feb 9th 2011 2:37 pm

your medicals are only valid for a year , full stop. So if you do get an extension ( which I've never heard of happening) then you will have to factor in the cost of new meds.

As has been pointed out , you just need to activate your PR , you have several years before you need to move. If you really aren't planning to move to Canada then do everyone who is still waiting a favour and say so. Canadian visas work on a quota system and I can guarantee there is someone who could use it.

iaink Feb 9th 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 9164335)
Can I just clarify something here, as this thread is the first time I've seen mentioned... not that I was searching for it, but the importance hit me when I read it.

A PR must be triggered within one year of the date the medical was completed and not one year from the date the PR Visa was issued?
(note: Not sure on the validity of the visa but you hopefully see what I'm asking)

Correct... you have to land before the medical expires.

Waggle Feb 9th 2011 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 9164335)

Yes. 1 year from the date you took your medical, since the medicals are valid for 1 year. This means that the length of time it takes visa office to issue your visa (PPR then visa) is deducted from the 1 year you have.

So for most people you're looking to have 10 months or so by the time you actually receive your visa.

Wayne.