Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport request-How long do you have to send it in?

Passport request-How long do you have to send it in?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Passport request-How long do you have to send it in?

I have been trying to search but not found info, so sorry if repeat question

We are applying for my husbands PR this year, I am cdn he is brit, living in UK. Now his application should be straight forward.

We wanted to do a bit of travelling this year, but as you can understand we don't want to book anything unless we know he will have passport.
We are not applying until June-July time.

Once they request his passport..how long do we have to send it in? We do realize it could be a couple months to year before they ask, but we dont want to plan weekend away then find out we missed a "date" to send in his passport. Am I making any sense?

This whole immigration thing is so confusing and we haven't even got past the reading stage!!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:23 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport request-How long do you have to send it in?

Hi

We had 60 days on the PPR letter, which seems to be standard template, so would guess this would be the same regardless of the type of application it is.

HTH
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

The letter my partner received in Dec 08 (Spousal PR via London) said he had 45 days to respond to their passport request or the application would be considered void. We were flying to Canada about 30 days after the letter was posted - due to Christmas and New Year, the in-person 10 day drop off and collect also wasn't a feasible option, and they suggest allowing up to 60 days for posted passports - so we sent it back from Canada to the UK the day after arriving. (Which was two weeks Tuesday and no, it hasn't come back yet.)

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

thank you for the answer, but may I ask when you get your passport back, will they mail it to your UK addy or cdn one? If your partner doesn't have PR yet, will he not have to leave Canada then return to validate his PR?
Sorry bit confused as to why you are in Canada but passport in UK.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Bettyboo63 is a jewel in the roughBettyboo63 is a jewel in the roughBettyboo63 is a jewel in the roughBettyboo63 is a jewel in the roughBettyboo63 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
thank you for the answer, but may I ask when you get your passport back, will they mail it to your UK addy or cdn one? If your partner doesn't have PR yet, will he not have to leave Canada then return to validate his PR?
We too had 60 days to return passports to London.
They send the passports back to whatever address you fill out on the form.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
No, there's a form included with the request where you can update your address, and we put our Canadian one. We don't have a UK address anymore. Although the application was processed via London - where we were living up until December 08 - he can validate (or 'land') his PR at any Canadian immigration, so we'll take a drive to New York State and get it done there.