Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport request - help holidays booked

Passport request - help holidays booked

Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: Passport request - help holidays booked

Couldn't you arrange for a friend to drop them off and pick them up two weeks later while you're gone? It would work something like this:

1. Fly to Canada.
2. Courier your PPT back to said friend.
3. Thursday said friend drops it in London and 2 weeks later picks it up again.
4. Said friend couriers it back to you in Canada.

You then have two options:
1. Hop over to the USA and back again to land while you're in Canada. or
2. Wait til you go over with your family and all of you land then. (keeping in mind you HAVE to land before your medicals expire)

The only potential glitches I would think to this would be that while you're in Canada, you can't LEAVE Canada because your passport is in England.

But if you search the forums, there have been people talk about having someone else dropping off/picking up the passports for them. If your family needs their passports to travel to Russia, they would have to so the same as you (courier them back and forth).

It would cost a bit more, but might solve your problem if a case-specific email requesting an extension doesn't get the desired result.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The only problem with that is two lots of postage with massive potential for it all to go horribly wrong if post is lost, mis placed or held up for any reason...its too tight timescale wise. You might then get stuck in Canada unable to meet your flight deadlines. I would worry more about doing it that way
Stef

Originally Posted by Kynn
Couldn't you arrange for a friend to drop them off and pick them up two weeks later while you're gone? It would work something like this:

1. Fly to Canada.
2. Courier your PPT back to said friend.
3. Thursday said friend drops it in London and 2 weeks later picks it up again.
4. Said friend couriers it back to you in Canada.

You then have two options:
1. Hop over to the USA and back again to land while you're in Canada. or
2. Wait til you go over with your family and all of you land then. (keeping in mind you HAVE to land before your medicals expire)

The only potential glitches I would think to this would be that while you're in Canada, you can't LEAVE Canada because your passport is in England.

But if you search the forums, there have been people talk about having someone else dropping off/picking up the passports for them. If your family needs their passports to travel to Russia, they would have to so the same as you (courier them back and forth).

It would cost a bit more, but might solve your problem if a case-specific email requesting an extension doesn't get the desired result.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Many thanks for all your replies. I have now made a case specific telephone call and email. The problem is simply that they are closed next Thursday. If they wern't or they can offer me an alternative day next week, then no problem. I am in London and I can get to the Embassy. If I am going to be forced to wait until the following Thursday, the 8th of July, assuming it takes them two weeks to turnaround, means I can't collect them until the 22nd, we need them by the 21st. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

I am sure I have read on here somewhere either the immigration page or the canada page that someone went to the embassy and they were also flying out on holiday and the people there put it in a bag that had 1 week on it, so it can be done, might be worth a go!

Just had a look and its on this forum, i have put a note on it to bump it up.

Last edited by daisychain; Jun 25th 2010 at 2:50 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisychain
I am sure I have read on here somewhere either the immigration page or the canada page that someone went to the embassy and they were also flying out on holiday and the people there put it in a bag that had 1 week on it, so it can be done, might be worth a go!

Just had a look and its on this forum, i have put a note on it to bump it up.
You have my sympathy we have a similar situation! My hubby is working in Afghanistan and Immigration have asked for our passports. I can take them to London due to work commitments and we are in the North. We have had to post them to London and pray we get them back quickly so I can send hubby's passport back to him in time for him to make his leave at the end of July - I put a letter in explaining the situation but am not hopeful!!!! I will grey by the time we move
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by laser558
Many thanks for all your replies. I have now made a case specific telephone call and email. The problem is simply that they are closed next Thursday. If they wern't or they can offer me an alternative day next week, then no problem. I am in London and I can get to the Embassy. If I am going to be forced to wait until the following Thursday, the 8th of July, assuming it takes them two weeks to turnaround, means I can't collect them until the 22nd, we need them by the 21st. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again.
Hello... did you hear back from them... I to would like to drop my passport this thursday, but as it's Canada Day it's closed... I was hoping to see if I could if by any chance drop it off on Wednesday... As I fly on the 19th July
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Hello all,

I just thought I would update. As you know, I made a case specific telephone call and email. Last Friday, I received a call from the Canadian High Commission who told me not to worry, it won't be a problem. He advised me to drop the passports into number one Grosvenor Square in London one morning the following week. I did this on Monday morning and met the chap I had been speaking to. He was very nice and told me that they would be ready possibly Tuesday but definitely Wednesday, today 30th June. So I hopped on a bus, popped into the Embassy and picked up my passports for myself and family containing the visas. After three years of waiting. The biggest irony of all, mind you, I received the passport request letter the day before I was made redundant from my employer whom I had been with for 27 years! Ever thought things were meant to be?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

perfect!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

not sure if anyone has suggested this yet... can you get an emergency passport??

i've met an irish couple who had their passport stolen in mexico and they were travelling on emergency passports issued to them overseas. maybe something like that could apply in this case?

and just as i type this, ive read that you've solved your problem. congrats!!!

Last edited by david_oz; Jun 30th 2010 at 10:19 am.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Hello all,

I just thought I would update. As you know, I made a case specific telephone call and email. Last Friday, I received a call from the Canadian High Commission who told me not to worry, it won't be a problem. He advised me to drop the passports into number one Grosvenor Square in London one morning the following week. I did this on Monday morning and met the chap I had been speaking to. He was very nice and told me that they would be ready possibly Tuesday but definitely Wednesday, today 30th June. So I hopped on a bus, popped into the Embassy and picked up my passports for myself and family containing the visas. After three years of waiting. The biggest irony of all, mind you, I received the passport request letter the day before I was made redundant from my employer whom I had been with for 27 years! Ever thought things were meant to be?
Congratulations. Glad it was all sorted out.

Ray
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic......thats you set to go now....and with a few quid in your pocket.....you see....sometimes...things work out just fine.....good luck with the move over
lol
Stef
Hello all,

Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Stef,

We probably won't move out until April and then I'll stay out there decorate, get furniture and receive the pr cards etc. Yes, the money is useful but we were only a small company and that reflects in the amount but I am very grateful for it and the opportunity and of course, the timing.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

But you could land...if you are off to Canada now? In Ontario there is a wait for Healthcare of 3 months...if you land and come back...when you go in April you should have cover and save having to buy cover for the first 3 months. Not sure where you are going...but thought this may be of help
Good luck
lol
Stef
Thanks Stef,

We probably won't move out until April and then I'll stay out there decorate, get furniture and receive the pr cards etc. Yes, the money is useful but we were only a small company and that reflects in the amount but I am very grateful for it and the opportunity and of course, the timing.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
But you could land...if you are off to Canada now? In Ontario there is a wait for Healthcare of 3 months...if you land and come back...when you go in April you should have cover and save having to buy cover for the first 3 months. Not sure where you are going...but thought this may be of help
Good luck
lol
Stef
It doesn't quite work like that for OHIP.

AND, generally speaking

* you make your primary place of residence in Ontario;
* you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence);
* you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Kev_Fran is an unknown quantity at this point

I know there is bound to be someone out there to help this man in dire need of assistance. Today we received our passport requests. The letter informs us that we have 45 days to submit passports and that it could take up to 6 weeks to get them back. They also advise not booking holiday during this period. Well, we already have, at the start of the year. In fact, we will be away for about 6 weeks in Canada and other spots. What shall I do? They have also asked for more non-passport photographs. Why? We have already sent four of each of us with the initial application and several for the medicals. I cannot work out why they need further copies. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it and/or does anyone have an email address or contact telephone number for immigration in London. Many thanks.
Quick question, what happens if your living in Canada and applying for residency, they request for your passports which are being sent to London UK and the working visa expires before we get our passports back???

I'm assuming that would be big trouble??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.