Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport request - help holidays booked

Passport request - help holidays booked

Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default Passport request - help holidays booked

I know there is bound to be someone out there to help this man in dire need of assistance. Today we received our passport requests. The letter informs us that we have 45 days to submit passports and that it could take up to 6 weeks to get them back. They also advise not booking holiday during this period. Well, we already have, at the start of the year. In fact, we will be away for about 6 weeks in Canada and other spots. What shall I do? They have also asked for more non-passport photographs. Why? We have already sent four of each of us with the initial application and several for the medicals. I cannot work out why they need further copies. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it and/or does anyone have an email address or contact telephone number for immigration in London. Many thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:10 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Passport request - help holidays booked

Can you get down to London? From what I believe you can drop the passports off yourself and pick them up a couple of weeks later.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Thanks for that Engineer. It worries me that they say it can be up to six weeks though...do I risk that? We need the passports back by the 21st July. It does beg the question, how on earth do they expect you not to have planned anything, especially with the summer holidays coming along?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Hi
You can drop them off every Thursday and pick them up 2 weeks later. It is only if you send them that it can take a while to get them back. You would have to take them next Thursday to get them back in time.
The photos are needed for the paperwork that they give you back with your passport, that you need when you land.
You will also need to do your goods accompanying and goods to follow list for when you go next month - best get started, you're going to be busy!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Native. Okay, I might take that risk but of course, this coming Thursday is Canada Day, so I doubt that they will be open. Dropping them in the following Thursday is cutting it even finer. Don't worry, we are not moving to Canada quite yet but simply going on holiday. Oh, that's another thought, I imagine I will have to tell them that we are not landing or activating our visa's at that time simply visiting. Would you agree?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear, forgot about Canada Day, they will be shut
Your passport will not have a visa in it so you will just be a regular visitor to Canada this time.
I'm sure if you contact them they will be able to extend the time limit for you, like you said they can't expect you to put your lives on hold!
Fingers crossed it all works out for you, and by the way, many congrats on gaining PR!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by laser558
Oh, that's another thought, I imagine I will have to tell them that we are not landing or activating our visa's at that time simply visiting. Would you agree?
You could do that, but keep in mind that you must activate your PR visa within 12 months of medical, otherwise your visa wont be any good. The date will be on the visa that you need to activate it by. So, depending on when you had your medical, you may need another trip to Canada within the next 12 months (probably shorter) to activate the PR, unless you do it on this trip.

Ray
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

laa1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello we are in the same dilema, we too have our passport reqs, BUT fly out to Thailand on Tuesday. We have informed our immigration agent who have said this is not a problem, we are actually going to drop them off ourselves on our return has we only live 15-20miles away

Lee
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Ours went in mid/end may and we are still waiting, we posted them. We are due to go on holiday within the next 2 weeks don't think that is going to happen

If you can take them to London i would recommend it as like it has been siad before you can pick them up 2 weeks later.

Good luck to all those in the same boat as us!!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We sent ours to London by Special Delivery and enclosed a return prepaid Special Delivery envelope. We got them back in 3 weeks. If you can drop them off in London and pick them up two weeks later, then that would be the fastest method. It would be good to make that effort to get them before you go and you could then 'Land' when you go on holiday.
lol
Stef
Thanks for that Engineer. It worries me that they say it can be up to six weeks though...do I risk that? We need the passports back by the 21st July. It does beg the question, how on earth do they expect you not to have planned anything, especially with the summer holidays coming along?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

hi
Sorry, the photos will be for the forms they give you for landing...one for each of you with your photo on them (COPR forms) You will also be sent a form for each of the children (if you have any) for the doctor to complete re their immunisation records....Kids can't start school without their record of immunisation
Hope this helps
Stef
I know there is bound to be someone out there to help this man in dire need of assistance. Today we received our passport requests. The letter informs us that we have 45 days to submit passports and that it could take up to 6 weeks to get them back. They also advise not booking holiday during this period. Well, we already have, at the start of the year. In fact, we will be away for about 6 weeks in Canada and other spots. What shall I do? They have also asked for more non-passport photographs. Why? We have already sent four of each of us with the initial application and several for the medicals. I cannot work out why they need further copies. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it and/or does anyone have an email address or contact telephone number for immigration in London. Many thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can land and fly back out the next day...as long as you are there for the correct amount of time in the first 5 years. You should activate your visas as soon as you can as they will run out a year from when you took your medicals.
lol
Stef

Thank you Native. Okay, I might take that risk but of course, this coming Thursday is Canada Day, so I doubt that they will be open. Dropping them in the following Thursday is cutting it even finer. Don't worry, we are not moving to Canada quite yet but simply going on holiday. Oh, that's another thought, I imagine I will have to tell them that we are not landing or activating our visa's at that time simply visiting. Would you agree?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Stef for the reply. Yes, we plan on landing in April next year. We have until the 1st June to get things sorted. This imminent trip is just that and it is only me going over, my wife and son are off to Russia to see great grandma! But my worry is getting passports over to the embassy. No doubt this Thursday, it will be closed because it is Canada Day. The following Thursday means we will not get them back by the time we need them, which is Wednesday the 21st July. So it is a bit of a problem. They will have to be prepared to wait I think.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

asiablue is an unknown quantity at this point

I dropped my passports off today you need to be at the Canadian High Commission between 2 - 3pm you need to bring your passports and documents as advised by Cic and you definatly get it back in two weeks you have to go up on a Thursday and collect them 2 Thursdays Good luck
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hiya
Right two choices left now then.....send them in tomorrow by special delivery enclosing a special delivery prepaid return envelope....They will get them for sure on Monday (maybe Sat...but don't think so) before 1pm, enclose a note with your travel dates and request urgent...then pray
or
Send in a case specific e-mail and tell them and either ask for an extension or take whatever advice they give you.
Good luck and please let us know what happens
lol
Stef

Thanks Stef for the reply. Yes, we plan on landing in April next year. We have until the 1st June to get things sorted. This imminent trip is just that and it is only me going over, my wife and son are off to Russia to see great grandma! But my worry is getting passports over to the embassy. No doubt this Thursday, it will be closed because it is Canada Day. The following Thursday means we will not get them back by the time we need them, which is Wednesday the 21st July. So it is a bit of a problem. They will have to be prepared to wait I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.