British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Passport Request - Courier Services? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/passport-request-courier-services-634858/)

spooooook Oct 9th 2009 9:39 pm

Passport Request - Courier Services?

Sorry if this has been asked in a previous thread that I've missed.

I received my passport request today by e-mail :eek:

Due to the impending national postal strike, I am concerned about the Royal Mail being able to deliver/return my passport before it expires. With this in mind, can anyone advise me of a courier company that has a tracked delivery and prepaid return service? I've had a look at the websites of all the usual suspects like Fedex, UPS and TNT, but can't find this sort of service advertised in the UK.

If needs be, I will make two 500 mile return rail trips to London to submit and collect my passport, but you'll understand that for time and cost reasons I'd rather not if there was another reliable way of getting my passport delivered and returned within the 6 weeks.

mandymoochops Oct 9th 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Passport Request - Courier Services?

aaaaw can't offer any viable advice but just wanted to say

YAY I KNEW IT WOULD COME SOON
!!!

Well done and see you in Drum soon :)

spooooook Oct 9th 2009 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 8004631)
aaaaw can't offer any viable advice but just wanted to say

YAY I KNEW IT WOULD COME SOON
!!!

Well done and see you in Drum soon :)

Ta chuck :wub:

englishrose1 Oct 9th 2009 11:12 pm

I know what you mean about sending it by royal mail. I have a close friend who works at royal mail and she assures me even on strike days special deliveries are delivered. Recorded delivery is also delivered too. Apparently all the managers do the job of the every day postal worker. I sent mine by post special delivery last Monday. I am waiting for it to be returned, posters on the forum say their passports have been sent back in this way. I am in the same position as you distance makes it harder. I have taken the risk of the post anyway.

spooooook Oct 10th 2009 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by englishrose1 (Post 8004794)
I know what you mean about sending it by royal mail. I have a close friend who works at royal mail and she assures me even on strike days special deliveries are delivered. Recorded delivery is also delivered too. Apparently all the managers do the job of the every day postal worker. I sent mine by post special delivery last Monday. I am waiting for it to be returned, posters on the forum say their passports have been sent back in this way. I am in the same position as you distance makes it harder. I have taken the risk of the post anyway.

I was aware that Royal Mail prioritise Special/Recorded Delivery, so it's not so much sending the passport to London that concerns me. It's getting the thing back that is the problem. There doesn't appear to be a system in place whereby you can request return of the passport by Special/Recorded Delivery - it's not like you can include a prepaid Special/Recorded Delivery envelope with the submission package, as you have to go to a post office to send things this way. I would suspect that limited resources at CIC mean that they are unlikely to be prepared to do this!

Poppit Oct 10th 2009 3:45 pm

Passports are returned via recorded delivery - they need a signature. Send it Special Delivery for peace of mind.

Oh! and congratulations after so long.

Poppit

JAJ Oct 11th 2009 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Poppit (Post 8006294)
Passports are returned via recorded delivery - they need a signature. Send it Special Delivery for peace of mind.

Special delivery may be halted if the Royal Mail go on strike.

Cdnshaz Oct 11th 2009 9:47 am

We sent my husbands week ago Friday, they recieved it last monday am, we sent special delivery. They also sent me (after me emailing and requesting) our docs back by recorded, took 5 days from London to Essex...35 miles.

His passport request also asked for a self addressed envelope for return of passport, so we did pay for special delivery back and put it in envelope. If they use it fair enough, if not well can't help it.

Walsh Clan Oct 11th 2009 12:58 pm

Ours have been gone and delivered since 17th September, hopefuly they'll come this week., we need them for 28th October!