Passport renewal for next IEC

Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jmboot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport renewal for next IEC

Hello,

I have a slight problem in regards to my girlfriend's passport as it expires April 2015.

We are currently living in BC on our IEC 2014 visa and are planning on going for a second year. I suppose my question is, if we apply for her IEC 2015 on her current passport, will it be rejected on the grounds her passport won't be valid later on?

If this is the case, we could send her passport off to be renewed now, but then what would happen to her current work permit stapled into her passport? We're planning on going home in March '15 when our visas expire to see family, so we can always renew the passport then while we're in London.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Jason
Old Aug 7th 2014, 5:51 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal for next IEC

Hi

Originally Posted by Jmboot
Hello,

I have a slight problem in regards to my girlfriend's passport as it expires April 2015.

We are currently living in BC on our IEC 2014 visa and are planning on going for a second year. I suppose my question is, if we apply for her IEC 2015 on her current passport, will it be rejected on the grounds her passport won't be valid later on?

If this is the case, we could send her passport off to be renewed now, but then what would happen to her current work permit stapled into her passport? We're planning on going home in March '15 when our visas expire to see family, so we can always renew the passport then while we're in London.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Jason
The FAQ pretty much answers your question

"1. What kind of passport is accepted under IEC?

IEC applicants must have a U.K. passport with British citizenship that will remain valid throughout the period of their stay in Canada. U.K. passport holders without British right of abode are not permitted to apply.

2. I am currently renewing my passport. May I submit my application with a photocopy of my previous passport and a letter stating that my passport is being renewed?

No. You must submit a photocopy of the appropriate pages of your new passport, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

That doesn't really solve my problem.

1. Can I send away a passport that has an active work visa for renewal and will I get the work permit back?

2. If no to 1. then can I apply for (not activate) IEC with a passport that is due to expire within 12 months? We wouldn't pass through the border and activate the second IEC until we had the new passport.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:02 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to use a staple remover.

Edit: ok, I probably shouldn't be quite so facetious. Photocopy her passport ID page, remove the work permit. Keep these items with you in Canada. Then submit her passport for renewal now, not in March. You'll then receive back her new and old cancelled passports after a 6-8 week wait.

Last edited by BTJ; Aug 8th 2014 at 3:06 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

BTJ, that had crossed my mind. I wasn't sure whether we could remove the permit or not.

I guess that's resolved, thank you.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:29 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, you just travel with both passports. My friend had to do that in France when her passport expired. Her study permit was still valid but the passport was not, so she just travelled with both passports for a year until she left France.