Passport renewal

Old Oct 19th 2015, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport renewal

Does anyone know if you can apply for the IEC with one passport and then enter the country with another. (I was going to post this specifically in the IEC thread but supposed it would be probably relevant for anybody in the process of immigration application who needs to renew their passport within the next year or 2).
What I mean is my passport runs out at the beginning of 2018. I have been umming and ahing about whether or not to get it renewed because it seems a shame to pay the £75 or whatever it costs when I have 2 years left. But if I do apply for the IEC 2016 and we an get 2 year visas this time, and lets say I don't enter until June or July, the immigration guy at the border would only give me until the passport runs out, maybe 14 months or something instead of the whole 24 (which again seems a waste).
So is it possible to leave my passport as is and apply for the IEC with it, then when I get my letter of introduction and store it away until needed, I can apply for a new passport just a month or 2 before I leave thus avoiding either wasted passport years and/or wasted months of IEC eligibility.
Apologies for the long winded postKind regardsCray
Old Oct 19th 2015, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal

Basically you apply for the IEC with a valid passport and when you get to a POE to activate your work permit that is when the passport has to have at least 2 years or more validity.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Basically you apply for the IEC with a valid passport and when you get to a POE to activate your work permit that is when the passport has to have at least 2 years or more validity.
Many thanks for your response Former Lancastrian.
But does the passport you apply for the I.E.C with have to be the same as the one you enter the country with?
I.E can you renew your passport in between applying for the IEC and entering Canada to activate it.
I'm sorry if I'm naiive and your passport number stays the same when you renew it and get a new one, I would just assume it changes. I imagined the nightmare scenario where the border patrol guy looks at the passport number on your application and looks at the one on your passport, sees that they're different and says sorry no deal. Or something along those lines hehe.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CRAY
Many thanks for your response Former Lancastrian.
But does the passport you apply for the I.E.C with have to be the same as the one you enter the country with?
I.E can you renew your passport in between applying for the IEC and entering Canada to activate it.
I'm sorry if I'm naiive and your passport number stays the same when you renew it and get a new one, I would just assume it changes. I imagined the nightmare scenario where the border patrol guy looks at the passport number on your application and looks at the one on your passport, sees that they're different and says sorry no deal. Or something along those lines hehe.
No the same passport you apply with doesn't need to be the same one you enter the country with.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No the same passport you apply with doesn't need to be the same one you enter the country with.
Great! Useful concise answer, and exactly what I wanted to hear. Much appreciated FL.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CRAY
Great! Useful concise answer, and exactly what I wanted to hear. Much appreciated FL.
Unless CIC change the rules