Passport Renewal

Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Hindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Renewal

Hey British Expats!

My passport is expiring next April 2015, I'm waiting for my final decision on PR right now and haven't sent in an application to renew my passport yet.

I'm from Northern Ireland and as a citizen of Northern Ireland am entitled to British and Irish Passports. I've just applied for my first ever Irish passport as I figured while the British one is away for renewal I'll have a passport to travel on.

My question is if I do travel with my Irish passport and have my work permit which is linked to my British Passport will I end up in a side room being questioned for this oddness?

Also when you get your final PR notice I heard they want to see your passport? Does it matter that theres not alot of time left on my British Passport passport? If at that time I show them my Irish Passport would that open a can of worms?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 3:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Renewal

Originally Posted by Hindsight
I'm from Northern Ireland and as a citizen of Northern Ireland am entitled to British and Irish Passports.
Citizen of Northern Ireland? Really, there's no such thing. Northern Ireland is not a sovereign state so does not have its own citizens.

My question is if I do travel with my Irish passport and have my work permit which is linked to my British Passport will I end up in a side room being questioned for this oddness?
Possibly. Anything out of the norm is likely to confuse immigration officials. It doesn't automatically mean you would be refused entry, but may be delayed.

If you have dual citizenship you should try to be consistent in what passport you use in other countries.