Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport not yet returned, why??? (Jim, Andrew)

Wikiposts

Passport not yet returned, why??? (Jim, Andrew)

Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:01 am
Just Joined

abe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport not yet returned, why??? (Jim, Andrew)

Spouse sponsorship

My wife received her passport request on April 10th (it was dated March 21) and she forwarded her passport to the Canadian embassy in Bogota, where it was received on April 13th. Now it's been 7 weeks and we've yet to get the passport back.

My question is, is it normal for an embassy to take 7 weeks to stamp a passport? Also, why could it possibly take so long, i.e. what are they doing with it for 7 weeks?

We tried contacting the embassy by fax and phone but have not gotten any sort of response other than a general "We can't give answers to specific cases, but don't worrry".

I'm going on a trip next week in which she was going to join me, but she can't even join me for that since she doesn't have her passport. It just seems to me an incredebly insensitive thing for them to request the passport on March 21st and not have it back to us till now.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:20 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport not yet returned, why??? (Jim, Andrew)

Originally Posted by abe1
Spouse sponsorship

My wife received her passport request on April 10th (it was dated March 21) and she forwarded her passport to the Canadian embassy in Bogota, where it was received on April 13th. Now it's been 7 weeks and we've yet to get the passport back.

My question is, is it normal for an embassy to take 7 weeks to stamp a passport? Also, why could it possibly take so long, i.e. what are they doing with it for 7 weeks?

We tried contacting the embassy by fax and phone but have not gotten any sort of response other than a general "We can't give answers to specific cases, but don't worrry".

I'm going on a trip next week in which she was going to join me, but she can't even join me for that since she doesn't have her passport. It just seems to me an incredebly insensitive thing for them to request the passport on March 21st and not have it back to us till now.
The delay could be due to any reason, depending upon the procedures adopted by the visa office! If its the norm of the visa office to request the passport upfront (like the New Delhi visa office), then 7 weeks is a normal time! But if all the initial assessment has been made and an interview or interview waiver has been decided upon, then 7 weeks is a long time....
anyways, put more light on ur case if u want correct answers.... Plus, if u have faxed them, hopefully u will get a response from them.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:04 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Passport not yet returned, why??? (Jim, Andrew)

This was our worry too, that we would mail our passports off and never see them again for months! We decided that the best course of action was to actually take the passports in person and then collect them in person 2 weeks later. I would keep sending faxes until they contact you to let you know what is going on. 7 weeks sounds awfully long to me as all checks have been completed at this point so nothing should be holding it back.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:15 am
Just Joined

abe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport not yet returned, why??? (Jim, Andrew, please shed some light)

Thanks for the response Tiaribbon. I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience with the passport taking so long. In the letter we received dated March 21 the embassy basically stated that the immigrant visa was ready and to send off the passports.

We sent them a fax a couple of weeks ago but they havn't responded to it, and as I mentioned earlier they refuse to tell us over the phone if they still have the passport, or they've mailed it back and it's lost in the mail, or whatever, so we have no clue where the passport is (they refuse to answer questions regarding any specific case over the phone).

I don't know what else we can do to get an idea of where the passport is.

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
This was our worry too, that we would mail our passports off and never see them again for months! We decided that the best course of action was to actually take the passports in person and then collect them in person 2 weeks later. I would keep sending faxes until they contact you to let you know what is going on. 7 weeks sounds awfully long to me as all checks have been completed at this point so nothing should be holding it back.