Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport ..Jim/Andrew/other experts

Passport ..Jim/Andrew/other experts

Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

otarusnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport ..Jim/Andrew/other experts

I have just received my passport request letter for the visa stamp but my passport is about to expire in 4 months.
I am planning to renew my passport before I land.

Can I send my original old passport for the visa stamp now. After getting the original old passport returned to me, I will renew my passport. When I land in Canada, I will use my new passport but will be showing the officers the visa in my old passport.
Will this work? Do I need to use my old passport to land?

OR

Should I renew it now and then submit the new passport along with my original old passport for the visa stamp. Along with the passports, I will send a letter to inform the Buffalo immigration officer about the change in my passport. Do you see any problem with this?
Will they put the visa stamp on my new or old passport?

Please let me know if there is other option.

Thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

CanDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport ..Jim/Andrew/other experts

Hi,

Can you share your timeline pls.

Thanks

Originally Posted by otarusnow
I have just received my passport request letter for the visa stamp but my passport is about to expire in 4 months.

Can I send my original old passport for the visa stamp now. After getting the original old passport returned to me, I will renew my passport. When I land in Canada, I will use my new passport but will be showing the officers the visa in my old passport.

OR

Should I renew it now and then submit the new passport along with my original old passport for the visa stamp. Along with the passports, I will send a letter to inform the Buffalo immigration officer about the change in my passport. Do you see any problem with this?

Thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:10 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The visa office does not seem to have mentioned this to you. Perhaps the visas will expire before your passport does? When did you take the medical exam?

OR

Thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jim,

I had my medical done on July 15th, and received my passport request last Thursday. However, my passport will expire on April 7th, 2005.

Since my job occasionally requires me travelling overseas, I will have to renew my passport soon.

Can I renew my passport and then submit the new passport along with the old passport for the visa?
OR
If I renew my passport after I get the immigration visa to Canada and before I do my landing, is it enough to show the immigration officer my visa on the old passport and show him the new passport which is issued based on the original passport?

Thanks.

My Timelines:
-Applied in Nov,2003
-AOR in Dec, 2003
-IA in June, 2004
-Medical done in July, 2004
-Additional info submitted in August, 2004
-Passport Request in Nov, 2004

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The visa office does not seem to have mentioned this to you. Perhaps the visas will expire before your passport does? When did you take the medical exam?
Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:20 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, renew your passport now. Also write to the visa office if you expect that to take a lengthy time.

Hi Jim,

I had my medical done on July 15th, and received my passport request last Thursday. However, my passport will expire on April 7th, 2005.

Since my job occasionally requires me travelling overseas, I will have to renew my passport soon.

Can I renew my passport and then submit the new passport along with the old passport for the visa?
OR
If I renew my passport after I get the immigration visa to Canada and before I do my landing, is it enough to show the immigration officer my visa on the old passport and show him the new passport which is issued based on the original passport?

Thanks.

My Timelines:
-Applied in Nov,2003
-AOR in Dec, 2003
-IA in June, 2004
-Medical done in July, 2004
-Additional info submitted in August, 2004
-Passport Request in Nov, 2004
Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs.

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Yes, renew your passport now. Also write to the visa office if you expect that to take a lengthy time.