Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport expiring....Can I still enter the States?

Passport expiring....Can I still enter the States?

Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default Passport expiring....Can I still enter the States?

My British passport expires in May but am planning a trip down to the States in March (passport is currently in London at the embassy, awaiting its arrival any day now with PR visa)

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you need at least 3 months on your passport to enter the U.S? Does anyone know if this is true or if I'll have a hard time crossing into the states. I am only going down for 4 days and will have a return ticket...although I'll be crossing the border by car then flying out of Buffalo.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:41 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport expiring....Can I still enter the States?

Hi

Originally Posted by canglish
My British passport expires in May but am planning a trip down to the States in March (passport is currently in London at the embassy, awaiting its arrival any day now with PR visa)

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you need at least 3 months on your passport to enter the U.S? Does anyone know if this is true or if I'll have a hard time crossing into the states. I am only going down for 4 days and will have a return ticket...although I'll be crossing the border by car then flying out of Buffalo.
Passport Note
(a) For nationals included in the Visa Waiver Program (see Visas), passports must be valid for at least 90 days from date of entry.

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun...f-America.html
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Passport Note
(a) For nationals included in the Visa Waiver Program (see Visas), passports must be valid for at least 90 days from date of entry.

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun...f-America.html
Not quite true:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv.html#niv108

My passport is not valid for six months does this matter if I'm traveling visa free?

With the exception of passport holders of Brunei, Lithuania, and Slovakia, the requirement that a passport be valid for six months beyond the holders stay in the United States is waived. If your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires. Note: Citizens of Brunei, Lithuania, and Slovakia, are not covered by this ruling and must be in possession of passports valid for at least six months from the date on which they depart the United States, regardless of their proposed length of stay.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road

So to clear this up....I can or cannot enter with 2 months on my passport???

Passports
Valid passport required by all nationals referred to in the chart above; validity varies - for most countries the passport must be valid for at least six months from the date on which the holder enters the USA. If not, the holder will be admitted until the expiration date on the passport;

So...from what I can gather from this, I'll be allowed to enter, until the date my passport expires? Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

We crossed in May last year my husbands british passport expired in July and my canadian one as well in July, each time we crossed they said "do you know your passport is going to expire" and each time we said "yes we are aware of it, but thank you for telling us"
As long as your return is before your expiration date you should have no problems.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:41 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canglish
So to clear this up....I can or cannot enter with 2 months on my passport???
If you're a fully endorsed UK citizen, then yes you can.

You will be given 2 months leave at POE instead of the usual 90 days though.