Wikiposts

Passport expiring

Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:39 am
Just Joined

HelloVancouver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport expiring

Hello,

Me and the OH just got our passport request (yay!)

We had meds in September and plan to land for week or so in January 08.

Then my passport expires in Aug 08.

So my question is when we go back to Canada to live (latest Jan 09) I'll have a new passport which wont have the visa in it! We should have PR cards though.

Will they let me in?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Passport expiring

In your passport request letter did they not specify that the passport should be valid for at least one year from the date you complete the medical exam (our letter stated that)?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:47 am
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Sorry, no definite answer to your question, though I don't think this should be a problem. It's bound to happen to many people! Of course you can always renew your passport early.

I assume you applied as skilled worker? Would you mind sharing your time line with everyone? When did you apply and when did you receive your AOR?

Thanks very much.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:59 am
Just Joined

My dates are at home, I'll post them up later.

So far it's taken almost three years from sending off the application.

It says on my passport letter that we have to land either 1 year from the medicals or, if any passport in our application expires before then, everyone must land before the expiry date that's on that one passport.

So me and my OH have to land before august 08, because that's when my passport expires.

I was going to get a new passport before the postal strikes. I could still, but I'm worried because my whole application/medicals have been done under my current passport.

I don't want to rock the boat!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

Yes, I didn't want to rock the boat as I applied using my Trinidadian passport for my application as most of my documents were in my maiden name and then my dog chewed it so I sent my British one which does not seem to pose a problem just send a covering letter explaining the situation and you may even want to send both passports if you feel that you would be better covered as you should get your old passport back with the corners clipped
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I changed passports mid application whilst in Canada. Took 19 days door to door, being sent to British High Com. in Ottawa.

I just kept both passports with me when we did the swing round the flag pole for new WP. IO didn't bother at all. I just wrote to BC PNP with a copy of my new passport details.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Your visa is valid one-time only, as soon as you land it gets cancelled (big line crossed through it) so it doesn't matter if you don't have a passport with a (cancelled) visa in it in subsequent trips.

Obviously when you get the visa put in your passport it will not be valid for the usual year, it will only be valid to the expiry date of your passport.

Originally Posted by HelloVancouver
port expires in Aug 08.

So my question is when we go back to Canada to live (latest Jan 09) I'll have a new passport which wont have the visa in it! We should have PR cards though.

Will they let me in?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks all.

Can I ask one more thing, does the PR card have passport details on it? Ie do you need to renew PR card if you get a new passport?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Here's my timeline BTW (not complete yet, our paperwork is all over the place)

I know, I know it should all be burned into my memory, but it's fast becoming a big blur
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:36 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I got my Passport over the Internet, no problem, took a few weeks, first time application .
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelloVancouver
Thanks all.

Can I ask one more thing, does the PR card have passport details on it? Ie do you need to renew PR card if you get a new passport?
No. It has a code for your nationality but that's all.

Picture of a card here.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks again all. Once again, this site has saved me from insanity

I think I'll stick with my old passport and get a new one once I've got landing out of the way.

Doesn't sound like it will be a problem.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

icedcoffee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi a quick question My passport and PR card are both in my single name .. can I change both to married name now,

thanks in advance

icedcoffee