Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport expires when im in Canada, Please help

Passport expires when im in Canada, Please help

Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Jamesdavid3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport expires when im in Canada, Please help

Hi all,

Right so I already have a IEC 1 years working Visa which I am going to fly over to Canada and activate in Jan 2012. As we all know that is valid for 1 year so i am going to extend that for another year because its 2 years total if needed. So my time will have ran out in Jan 2014. After this process i plan for my girlfriend to sponcer me over there on that visa.

Heres my problem during all this process my passport expires on May 2014. So for the 1st year of my IEC working visa that wont be a problem at all however should i apply for a new passport during that first year to use in my second year as i am planning to be over in Canada for a long time and if i fill out all these visa forms with my old passport number and during that time i get a new passport it will cause serious problems?

I would apply for a new passport right now before i even start to goto canada but i cant as my IEC visa is linked to my current passport i think?

Is it possible to also enter Canada with my old passport, get a new passport sent to me visa post and then just use that one from them on as that would be ideal

Thanks
James
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Passport expires when im in Canada, Please help

I would renew in the UK

I just applied for my son's passport renewal from Canada - you have you send it to Washinton and the cost ;

Passport fees in the United States are:
Adult passport
• 32-page passport - US$211
• 48 page passport - US$255
Child Passport
• Child passport (32 pages) - US$134
Courier Fee – Each customer will be required to pay a courier fee to cover the cost of the return of supporting documents from Washington DC and for the return of the passport from the UK.

Courier fee – US $33
Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesdavid3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport expires when im in Canada, Please help

That doesnt really answer my question.

I am going to be in Canada when my passport expires, when i go over in Jan 2012 I plan to stay over there for 5+ Years. My Passport expires in May 2014.

I dont know anything about what I can do before i go over as the Visa i have applied for is linked to my current passport i think, so if i just got a new one i dont think i would be allowed in for this first year

*Information found**

I have replaced the passport under which my Letter of Introduction was issued (because it was damaged/ lost/ stolen/ I got married) and am about to travel to Canada. May I still use the Letter of Introduction to obtain my work permit?

Yes, as long as the validity period of the Letter of Introduction has not expired. When entering Canada, you must notify the border service officer of this change so that your work permit may be issued in accordance with your current passport information. We recommend that you bring a photocopy of your previous passport along with your current valid passport for presentation at the port of entry. If you changed your passport because you got married, please also bring a copy of your marriage certificate.

Last edited by Jamesdavid3; Oct 8th 2011 at 7:19 pm.