Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport contains Maiden name!! - Mr Miller / PMM / Mr Humphries

Wikiposts

Passport contains Maiden name!! - Mr Miller / PMM / Mr Humphries

Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough
Default Passport contains Maiden name!! - Mr Miller / PMM / Mr Humphries

Hi

My wife who is my sponsor (born and bred canadian) and who is currently living in the UK with me still has her passport containing her maiden name.

In the spousal visa application forms, she as a sponsor, has stated her married name, although she has not legally changed her name.

My question is, should she state her maiden name within the applications (as in her passport), or should she quote her married name??

Surely, the CIC should put 2 and 2 together and figure out that as we are married, her name might be different on her passport before marriage.

please please help .......
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

gardengirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport contains Maiden name!! - Mr Miller / PMM / Mr Humphries

Originally Posted by Scoobsta
Hi

My wife who is my sponsor (born and bred canadian) and who is currently living in the UK with me still has her passport containing her maiden name.

In the spousal visa application forms, she as a sponsor, has stated her married name, although she has not legally changed her name.

My question is, should she state her maiden name within the applications (as in her passport), or should she quote her married name??

Surely, the CIC should put 2 and 2 together and figure out that as we are married, her name might be different on her passport before marriage.

please please help .......
Hi..I am not Mr Miller..But i can tell you what the CIC told me when i had phoned them about the very same issiu..They told me to just use my maiden name in the application..I had sponsored my husband from another country..so i was not sure if i should use my married name,or not,,sence i had not yet changed my maiden name to my married name...I have also read on another forum,,that a woman used her maiden name in the application,,and
she was being sponsored by her Canadian husband..There is a question in the application forms,,of any alias names,,and there they wrote in her married name..Now when she went to pick up her visa,,they called her by her married name,,because that was wrote into the alise name area of application,..Hope this helps you in some way...Gardengirl
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you wife change her last name anywhere? Driver's licence? If she did, they she should change her name in her passport too. If she changed her last name, then she needs to indicate her new name in her application too.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jassy
Did you wife change her last name anywhere? Driver's licence? If she did, they she should change her name in her passport too. If she changed her last name, then she needs to indicate her new name in her application too.
Thanks guys..so to confirm, my wife (my sponsor residing in the Uk with me), should use her maiden name, matching her passport, in the applicatioons.

The only issue I have here is that in the ' Application to Sponsor and Undertaking', it asks for her family name and name before marriage. Should we leave this blank then?.. Will this create confusion for the CIC whether we are married or not ??
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys..so to confirm, my wife (my sponsor residing in the Uk with me), should use her maiden name, matching her passport, in the applicatioons.

The only issue I have here is that in the ' Application to Sponsor and Undertaking', it asks for her family name and name before marriage. Should we leave this blank then?.. Will this create confusion for the CIC whether we are married or not ??

Hi..I am just looking at a copy of my application to sponsor,,and in that area i have put .... N/A...Please make sure you do not leave a single area in your application just blank,,if it does not apply to you,,, put N/A there,(((not applicatable))..Good luck to you...Gardengirl
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Hi..I am just looking at a copy of my application to sponsor,,and in that area i have put .... N/A...Please make sure you do not leave a single area in your application just blank,,if it does not apply to you,,, put N/A there,(((not applicatable))..Good luck to you...Gardengirl

OOOps..her family name ,,the name on her passport goes in that area,,and N/A in the other area
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gardengirl
OOOps..her family name ,,the name on her passport goes in that area,,and N/A in the other area
thanks for your help gardengirl..appreciated

Mr Miller / PMM / Mr Humphries - can you add anything or confirm the above?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:37 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your help gardengirl..appreciated

Mr Miller / PMM / Mr Humphries - can you add anything or confirm the above?
I am sure that she needs to put her maiden name, and not her married name!
thats wat they ask for!
cheers
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amancharan
I am sure that she needs to put her maiden name, and not her married name!
thats wat they ask for!
cheers
Thanks Amarcharan..One last question, as we are sending a spousal visa application outside Canada (from UK), do we qualify as Canada class or Family class??
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:54 am

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Amarcharan..One last question, as we are sending a spousal visa application outside Canada (from UK), do we qualify as Canada class or Family class??
U qualify fr the family class category, where the sponsor is living outside canada!
the In-canada class is fr people where both the sponsor and sponsoree are in canada and the sponsor is sponsoring his/her partner frm within canada!
hope this helps!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amancharan
U qualify fr the family class category, where the sponsor is living outside canada!
the In-canada class is fr people where both the sponsor and sponsoree are in canada and the sponsor is sponsoring his/her partner frm within canada!
hope this helps!
cheers
Old Mar 13th 2005, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Can you also please tell me what to do for question 6 on the 'Application for Sponsor and Undertaking'

Question 6 (a) asks for your address - my wife has put down our address in the UK. As I am applying through family class, she has to answer 6 (b) and 6 (c).

6(b) states ' if the address in 6a is NOT in the country of nationality of the person your sponsoring (me), has that person been lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year in the country where he or she is living?'
problem here is that the address IS in the UK where I live, so answering either Y or N does not make sense

please advise!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Can you also please tell me what to do for question 6 on the 'Application for Sponsor and Undertaking'

Question 6 (a) asks for your address - my wife has put down our address in the UK. As I am applying through family class, she has to answer 6 (b) and 6 (c).

6(b) states ' if the address in 6a is NOT in the country of nationality of the person your sponsoring (me), has that person been lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year in the country where he or she is living?'
problem here is that the address IS in the UK where I live, so answering either Y or N does not make sense

please advise!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:04 am

please advise!
In that question they just wanna know if u will be served by a visa post other than the country of ur citizenship! for example, if u are a british citizen, living in the US; u will have to write the US adress there! that way they will know that the visa post serving u would be Buffalo, and not London.
I think that its UR (the sponsoree) address that they ask fr! u have to fill in the UK address in 6(a) ! leave the section 6(b) blank and put N/A