Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passport with Certificate of Can Citizenship

Passport with Certificate of Can Citizenship

Old May 7th 2009, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

dan_nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport with Certificate of Can Citizenship

I am Canadian living in UK for the past 20 years I have applied for a citizenship card for my 18 year old son who has a British Birth Certificate, it has now been 10 months and still waiting for the card. Do you know if I can apply for him to have Canadian passport without the citizenship card?? We are moving back to Canada in November and I always worry about the amount of time everything takes to do.

My Husband has his spousal visa already but we didn't think we would have to go down this road with our son?

Thanks Nicky
Old May 7th 2009, 5:29 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport with Certificate of Can Citizenship

Hi

Originally Posted by dan_nick
I am Canadian living in UK for the past 20 years I have applied for a citizenship card for my 18 year old son who has a British Birth Certificate, it has now been 10 months and still waiting for the card. Do you know if I can apply for him to have Canadian passport without the citizenship card?? We are moving back to Canada in November and I always worry about the amount of time everything takes to do.

My Husband has his spousal visa already but we didn't think we would have to go down this road with our son?

Thanks Nicky
You can apply for a limited validity passport at CHC London. Include proof of the application for proof of citizenship.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You can apply for a limited validity passport at CHC London. Include proof of the application for proof of citizenship.
Thanks I thought that might be the case
Old May 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMM
You might be able to get an emergency passport from the CHC london.

In the first year of life, they will issue a 2-year valid passport. But then after, passport canada apparently does not want them to issue normal passports without a CCC.

You should also see about applying for a SIN card through CHC. It is free and may be a useful alternative while waiting for the CCC.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:34 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by bewillow
You might be able to get an emergency passport from the CHC london.

In the first year of life, they will issue a 2-year valid passport. But then after, passport canada apparently does not want them to issue normal passports without a CCC.

You should also see about applying for a SIN card through CHC. It is free and may be a useful alternative while waiting for the CCC.
SIN cards are only in issued in Canada by Service Canada.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

rizzelator is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dan_nick

Thanks Nicky
Hey dan_naick,

I also applied for a citizenship card now 11 months ago, havent heard anything back yet, have you heard anything yet?
Old May 12th 2009, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rizzelator
Hey dan_naick,

I also applied for a citizenship card now 11 months ago, havent heard anything back yet, have you heard anything yet?
Sent the forms/payment off for my 2 year old in October 2008. We received supporting documents (UK birth certificate) back from CHC a few weeks later. We have heard nothing since.

I can't for the life of me remember how long it took for our two girls - we got their certificates a few years ago. I remember sending things off and then many months later receiving the cards. We weren't waiting for them that time so they just turned up one day and it was a pleasant surprise!

This time we are waiting for my PR to come through and want to move in the summer and it all seems to be taking ages! I'm reminded of the phrase "A watched pot never boils"

abaddon
Old May 12th 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

I emailed the CHC on Friday and they got back to me on the Monday, what speedy times. They told me that Citizenship cards are now taking 15 months, and then the passports are taking 15 days. If I have not had his card by early September I could apply for a temporary passport. They attached to the email the forms I needed to fill in to get a temporary Canadian Passport as long as I have proof that I applied for the citizenship card. If you PM me with your email address I could forward you on the temporary passport form if you are running out of time like me.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

dan_nick, i pm'd you my email address. It's ridiculous that the citizenship card takes so long to process, especially in the case of having citizenship by descent, it should be a two week thing!

thanks
rizz
Old May 13th 2009, 9:41 am
Just Joined

nhbiker is on a distinguished road

We applied for hubby's card 2 years ago and it took just over 14 months to finally arrive. Ludicrous length of time surely, but you are not alone )
Old May 13th 2009, 5:54 pm
jda
Just Joined

jda is an unknown quantity at this point

we were in a similar position. it took 11 months for our british born 2 year old to ge his citizenship card. for our 3 month old, i applied for the card and a temporary (two year) passport at the same time. the passport took took the usual 15 working days. i think the relevant canadian statute clearly says that people born to a canadian living overseas are automatically canadian, so you ought to be able to get the temporary passport while the application for citizenship card is being processed. be sure to submit long form birth certificate showing parent's names and canadian parents long form birth certificate.
Old May 13th 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

jda, when did you apply for your childs card that took 11 months?
Old May 13th 2009, 8:28 pm
jda
Just Joined

jda is an unknown quantity at this point

march/april 2008. when i applied the information on the website said 9-12 months. i have since heard from the passport office (london) that i can expect to wait 14 months for the next one, which i have just applied for, so maybe the backlog is increasing.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jda
march/april 2008. when i applied the information on the website said 9-12 months. i have since heard from the passport office (london) that i can expect to wait 14 months for the next one, which i have just applied for, so maybe the backlog is increasing.
It will probably increase further if they have not made any plans to deal with the surge of applications that will follow the new Citizenship Act reforms, from 17 April 2009.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

thanks jda, that gives me some hope if you applied say april 2008 and got it then march 2009? if I applied june 2008 then hopefully i shouldnt have to wait that much longer, it's going on 11 months for me and i noticed around christmas time the cic website stated that the waiting time was around 8 months

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.