Passport application

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Rugbygirl65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport application

I'm filling out the application form for my British passport and I'm a bit confused. Under note 12 under "documents to be produced" it doesn't look like I need to submit anything other than my current passport, I haven't changed my name or appearance (other than a few wrinkles) . Yet on the next page it says If you were born in UK before Jan 1983 (which I was) you need to send your longform Birth Certificate.
So, do I need to send my birth certificate or don't I?

Also, when I went online it says that if you are over 16 and haven't changed name or appearance you don't need a countersignature.

Any advice appreciated
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport application

Hi Rugbygirl, is the name because of the game or the town?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future

no help with the answer to this, sorry , but i would be very interested if someone had the answer as im having the same problem
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:46 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Are you applying in the UK or from Canada?

If from Canada:
According to the how to apply for a renewal page, you don't need anything else, but there are other pages that contradict this. From what I can tell, you only need your birth certificate if you are applying for a new passport.

You could include it anyway and then ask them to return it?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

ek84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent off my passport renewal a couple weeks ago - I just sent my old passport with the application, but I did get new photos countersigned, mostly because I wanted to change my old photo. I haven't heard anything, but I'm assuming for now that means there are no problems (I hope).
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ek84
I sent off my passport renewal a couple weeks ago - I just sent my old passport with the application, but I did get new photos countersigned, mostly because I wanted to change my old photo. I haven't heard anything, but I'm assuming for now that means there are no problems (I hope).
All of my family have renewed UK passports from Canada in the past 12 months - I sent no docs other than expired passport but I did get photos countersigned. We got the new passports.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:59 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
...but I did get photos countersigned.
Apparently, even that isn't required any more provided there has not been a significant change in your appearance.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

ek84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
All of my family have renewed UK passports from Canada in the past 12 months - I sent no docs other than expired passport but I did get photos countersigned. We got the new passports.
That's good to know, thanks
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Rugbygirl65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all.....you were very helpful. I will just send the passport (expired last month) and photos with a counter signature. My trip to Mexico is looking like it might become a reality.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

The UK passport guidance is not clear. When renewing, you normally just need to send in the old UK passport.

When you get your first passport, or if you passport has been lost/stolen, then you need to send in the "supporting documents" like birth certificates or naturalization certificates.