Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which party is more pro-immigrant?

Which party is more pro-immigrant?

Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which party is more pro-immigrant?

Originally Posted by JAJ
But how can a drivers licence prove you are a Canadian citizen?
It didn't. I wasn't. They took it anyway. There used to be a presumption that Canadian residents were friendly and would go home. That rather changed with the war in Iraq and Canada not joining. I suppose we can say that the Conservatives would have avoided this problem as they would have involved Canada in the war but I don't think easy border crossings are worth Canadians dying for.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
And it is not Bush who forced certain restrictions and requirements all over the world - it is the terror and terrorists who kill innocent people for the sake of whatever they believe in.
On this final point. Harper would have killed Canadians for what he believes in. He would have sent soliders to die invading Iraq. Isn't that reason alone why the Liberals are better for Canadians, be they immigrants or native born ?
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

For crying out loud - why don't you go vent your politics somewhere else? This is a forum about immigration to Canada and I don't think people want to read political activist propaganda here.

Originally Posted by dbd33
On this final point. Harper would have killed Canadians for what he believes in. He would have sent soliders to die invading Iraq. Isn't that reason alone why the Liberals are better for Canadians, be they immigrants or native born ?
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bartM
For crying out loud - why don't you go vent your politics somewhere else? This is a forum about immigration to Canada and I don't think people want to read political activist propaganda here.
It's an explicitly political thread, it asks for opinions on the parties. I have to say the idea of an immigrant not voting Liberal strikes me as bizarre but, still, the thread header invites us to squabble about it. You could, of course, have chosen not to read it since the nature of the thread is stated in the title.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:39 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You obviously didn't pay attention to my reply earlier and are still spreading unfounded rumors.

We Canadians can still go to US without passports at least till the October 2006 (if flying) and till October 2007 if crossing land border - all we need is proof of Canadian citizenship and picture ID. Exactly same applies to Americans returning from Canada or Mexico to US.

It has and never had anything to do with Canada joining or not joining war in Iraq. It has all to do with changes due to 9/11.

But for your information Canada sent navy ships to the Persian Gulf to assist coalition, we just didn't send ground troops (except small number of so called "observers"). And Canada sent more troops to Afganistan to relieve US troops moved from there to Iraq. So, we have assisted and are still assisting coalition in Iraq, even if the very same Liberal government plays "hate Bush" game in public, especially when running negative ads about Harper on Canadian TV.

Your obvious hate of current US administration is blinding you completely my friend. Just like with your post (nota bene debunked by me already) about amnesty in US. You have very selective memory.

It didn't. I wasn't. They took it anyway. There used to be a presumption that Canadian residents were friendly and would go home. That rather changed with the war in Iraq and Canada not joining. I suppose we can say that the Conservatives would have avoided this problem as they would have involved Canada in the war but I don't think easy border crossings are worth Canadians dying for.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say the idea of an immigrant not voting Liberal strikes me as bizarre
Once you become a Canadian citizen then you are no longer an 'immigrant', at least by any sensible definition of the term.

Jeremy
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

For all I know, my little friend, you're a liberal party member or protege who's desperately trying to fish some votes in the eve of party defeat. Nihil novi sub sole, but you're doing it using such blatant lies (as Andrew Miller pinpointed before) that it's not even funny. It is clear that you're not interested in serious discussion of immigration politics, only in bashing of the US and conservatives. Why don't you take it to the streets and smash some McDonalds windows instead?

It's an explicitly political thread, it asks for opinions on the parties. I have to say the idea of an immigrant not voting Liberal strikes me as bizarre but, still, the thread header invites us to squabble about it. You could, of course, have chosen not to read it since the nature of the thread is stated in the title.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Is Paul Martin killing Canadians in Afghanistan then , by sending them there ?

Or is the cause justified in your opinion ? And dont call it peacekeeping, because we are involved in a war over there.

I am a Canadian. In practise I was not asked for any proof of anything when crossing the border before the current administration, now I often am and what is requested is a passport. It may be that the passport requirement does not come into full force until October 2007, but it's now the document of choice, whereas five years ago it was extremely uncommon to be asked for one.

To think that border security wouldn't tighten after 911 is ludicrous.

Last edited by Spongebob; Jan 16th 2006 at 12:42 am.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point

How can anybody here talk to a person with a deep hatred for US or Harper?

It's like talking to a wall.

Go to a political forum and rant your hatred there.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Fingerprinting is an intrusion. It provides the US with nothing but intimidates visitors. It's about creating an unwelcoming climate.
Utter unadulterated bollocks!

Perhaps a tad harsh some might suggest however, whilst considering a more detailed response I quickly concluded that where you and your fanatical left wing bias is concerned such a response would be wasted on you.

Have a nice 'right of centre' day

Last edited by macadian; Jan 16th 2006 at 2:45 am.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once you become a Canadian citizen then you are no longer an 'immigrant', at least by any sensible definition of the term.

Jeremy
WHAT UTTER DRIVEL!!!

Of course we are still immigrants. We emmigrated here didnt we?, our accent hasnt changed, our personal views havent changed, our world experience hasnt changed!. We are just immigrants elligable to vote now.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
WHAT UTTER DRIVEL!!!

Of course we are still immigrants. We emmigrated here didnt we?, our accent hasnt changed, our personal views havent changed, our world experience hasnt changed!. We are just immigrants elligable to vote now.
Iain,

Just to be a little Facetious here (and to try and lighten the tone of this thread).

I imagine most of you that have been in Canada for a while will have moderated your accents just a tad.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What happened in this thread? First it is an explicitley political thread, we were invited to offer an opinion, and then when certain posters dont agree with the opinions and facts offered they come on all offended. Grow up people, not everyone will agree with you, and its a fact that Harper would have sent troops to Iraq.

Afganistan is a different case, the action there was sanctioned by the UN, and canadians are dying there...most noticable when a couple of US parttime jockies decided to let a couple of missiles lose at them.

If you arent questioning what the US is doing in Iraq, then I would respectfully suggest you take your head out of the sand and start to do so. Harper is much too close the US neocon political model for my taste.

Just cos someone is left of where you are doesnt give them a "fanatical left wing bias", they are just where the majority of canadian were coming from till the corruption stuff came to light.

Its easy, its like talking to anyone else, and its not a deep hatred for the US, its a deep concern for the politics of the US, I have no axe to gring with Americans as individuals, and I doubt dbb has either.

Are liberals not allowed to defend there views with some facts then? How is pointing out that the Tories would have had us in Iraq any different to the conservatives talking up the corruption...except that in the case of the corruption the Gomery report does not implicate Paul Matin with any impropriety?

All this stuff about the documentation previously and currently required at the border just goes to show how out of touch some of the people here are about the reality of what goes on at the border compared to what should happen according to the law. The written law and the practical everyday application of the law are not surprisingly two entirely different things. The purpose of forums like this should be to offer practical advice based on real world experiences of the posters, in addition to the theoretical legal view offered by the "experts". Just cos it shouldnt happen or didnt happen to you does not mean it hasnt happen to others, so dont go getting on your high horses denigrating the experiences of others.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 16th 2006 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Iain,

Just to be a little Facetious here (and to try and lighten the tone of this thread).

I imagine most of you that have been in Canada for a while will have moderated your accents just a tad.
My accents the same....my vocabulary has been modified though to avoid those blank looks!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What happened in this thread? First it is an explicitley political thread, we were invited to offer an opinion, and then when certain posters dont agree with the opinions and facts offered they come on all offended. Grow up people, not everyone will agree with you, and its a fact that Harper would have sent troops to Iraq.

Afganistan is a different case, the action there was sanctioned by the UN, and canadians are dying there...most noticable when a couple of US parttime jockies decided to let a couple of missiles lose at them.

If you arent questioning what the US is doing in Iraq, then I would respectfully suggest you take your head out of the sand and start to do so. Harper is much too close the US neocon political model for my taste.

Just cos someone is left of where you are doesnt give them a "fanatical left wing bias", they are just where the majority of canadian were coming from till the corruption stuff came to light.

Its easy, its like talking to anyone else, and its not a deep hatred for the US, its a deep concern for the politics of the US, I have no axe to gring with Americans as individuals, and I doubt dbb has either.

Are liberals not allowed to defend there views with some facts then? How is pointing out that the Tories would have had us in Iraq any different to the conservatives talking up the corruption...except that in the case of the corruption the Gomery report does not implicate Paul Matin with any impropriety?

All this stuff about the documentation previously and currently required at the border just goes to show how out of touch some of the people here are about the reality of what goes on at the border compared to what should happen according to the law. The written law and the practical everyday application of the law are not surprisingly two entirely different things. The purpose of forums like this should be to offer practical advice based on real world experiences of the posters, in addition to the theoretical legal view offered by the "experts". Just cos it shouldnt happen or didnt happen to you does not mean it hasnt happen to others, so dont go getting on your high horses denigrating the experiences of others.
And Libralism shall inherit the earth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.