Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Partner's goods/Returning resident's goods to follow?

Partner's goods/Returning resident's goods to follow?

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Partner's goods/Returning resident's goods to follow?

Hi all,

Mr B is landing shortly after issuance of his sponsored common-law visa. We are only staying 48hrs and will return to Canada permanently in May.

We have not finalised what we're taking and what's staying but obviously Mr B needs to have his goods to follow list finalised by his landing, regardless.

As I returning resident I can also bring back personal posessions tax-free and need to provide an accompanying goods/goods to follow when I become resident in May.

My question is this - is it unwise to make Mr B's list nothing more than the clothes he owns, everything else can go on my returning resident's list when we know what we're actually taking? Or should we split the household possessions in half and put half on his list, half on mine...and if we have things on there that we're not actually taking with us it won't matter, as long as there isn't extra stuff on there?

Confusedly,

Biiiiink

P.S. I've never actually been a resident but for the purposes of this definition I assume it applies to me (Canadian citizen born abroad)??
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner's goods/Returning resident's goods to follow?

Bumpity-bump...

Anyone with recent experience of landing and goods-to-follow lists with your sponsored spouse/partner?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

colleend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Bumpity-bump...

Anyone with recent experience of landing and goods-to-follow lists with your sponsored spouse/partner?
Hi Biiiiiink... I am brand new to this forum and interested to learn how you did your lists as we are in the same situation. My common-law partner is a returning resident (after 4 years) and I am being sponsored. We will be landing at the end of March and hve just begun the packing/listing process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

-Colleen
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by colleend
Hi Biiiiiink... I am brand new to this forum and interested to learn how you did your lists as we are in the same situation. My common-law partner is a returning resident (after 4 years) and I am being sponsored. We will be landing at the end of March and hve just begun the packing/listing process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

-Colleen
Hi Colleen,

Nobody answered so I just muddled through! We thought it would have been a bit odd for Mr B to land with absolutely no accompanying goods and no list of goods to follow, so we put some of the possessions onto a goods to follow list for him - not a great deal, just a few bits and pieces and his clothes...etc. It was hard to split as all our stuff is jointly owned, so we chose a few key pieces of furniture to keep it simple.

So, the majority of the stuff will go on my returning residents list. It's going to be better for us that way as as the time of Mr B's landing, we hadn't (and still haven't!) finalised what will come with us and what will be sold/charity shopped/eBayed...

We had a removal company quote us yesterday and their rep said it was better if the bulk of the stuff was in a citizen's name but I think that's nonsense, didn't believe a word of it myself

Hth!

Biiiiink
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Hi Biiiiiink

I hope to land in Canada at the end of April. Can you please let me know the structure of the goods to follow list.

Do you have to list every single item or can you simply list them in a group? eg for clothes, do you list all the items of clothing individually or can you simply say clothes!

Thanks

Confused Kay

Hi Colleen,

Nobody answered so I just muddled through! We thought it would have been a bit odd for Mr B to land with absolutely no accompanying goods and no list of goods to follow, so we put some of the possessions onto a goods to follow list for him - not a great deal, just a few bits and pieces and his clothes...etc. It was hard to split as all our stuff is jointly owned, so we chose a few key pieces of furniture to keep it simple.

So, the majority of the stuff will go on my returning residents list. It's going to be better for us that way as as the time of Mr B's landing, we hadn't (and still haven't!) finalised what will come with us and what will be sold/charity shopped/eBayed...

We had a removal company quote us yesterday and their rep said it was better if the bulk of the stuff was in a citizen's name but I think that's nonsense, didn't believe a word of it myself

Hth!

Biiiiink
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We used this form, B4 - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4/README.html

We put our UK address instead of the Canadian one (as we're not actually resident there yet) and customs didn't like that so rewrote our topsheets.

We put stuff in this format:-

Blue and white rug, $2000
Dining table and 8 chairs, $5000
Box of personal documents, no commercial value
6 boxes male clothing and shoes, $5000
10 boxes paperbacks, $1000

...etc etc Anything with a serial number (like a computer) they like to have the serial number listed too.

- and all was fine. Good luck with your landing

Biiiiink
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Biiiiiiink

Many thanks for this. I'm not sure how many boxes I'd be taking to Canada as yet. Does it matter if you don't list the quantity but just the items and the amounts?

Kay

We used this form, B4 - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4/README.html

We put our UK address instead of the Canadian one (as we're not actually resident there yet) and customs didn't like that so rewrote our topsheets.

We put stuff in this format:-

Blue and white rug, $2000
Dining table and 8 chairs, $5000
Box of personal documents, no commercial value
6 boxes male clothing and shoes, $5000
10 boxes paperbacks, $1000

...etc etc Anything with a serial number (like a computer) they like to have the serial number listed too.

- and all was fine. Good luck with your landing

Biiiiink
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

AnnetteL is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband in a Canadian citizen, so I'll be placing most of our things on his list (does he actually have to have a list when he comes back?), and just a few things on mine. Does his list have to be as detailed as my Goods to Follow list?

Annette
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Contact Veetal or Venka,

I think I posted a GToF- B4 Form on this Forum that you need to fill on the airport. But if you can do it in advance then that will help you to save your nerves at the airport.

Regards
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AnnetteL
My husband in a Canadian citizen, so I'll be placing most of our things on his list (does he actually have to have a list when he comes back?), and just a few things on mine. Does his list have to be as detailed as my Goods to Follow list?

Annette
Yes, assuming he's classes as a returning resident, or else he'll have to pay duty on anything he brings in to Canada. See this link, lots of good information straight from the horse's mouth http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/former-e.html

Biiiiink
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

AnnetteL is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, assuming he's classes as a returning resident, or else he'll have to pay duty on anything he brings in to Canada. See this link, lots of good information straight from the horse's mouth http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/former-e.html

Biiiiink
Thank You! I've been looking for something like this for a while.

Annette
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kki6
Biiiiiiink

Many thanks for this. I'm not sure how many boxes I'd be taking to Canada as yet. Does it matter if you don't list the quantity but just the items and the amounts?

Kay
I don't know, we just guessed. I mean we haven't even got the boxes from the moving company, so who knows what will fit in them!!

B
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Partner's goods/Returning resident's goods to follow?

Thanks for that. Will just have to do a guesstimate of the things to follows.

I don't know, we just guessed. I mean we haven't even got the boxes from the moving company, so who knows what will fit in them!!

B
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:15 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

B
Fill out the list as you pack the boxes, as you don't submit the goods to follow list until you land.

PMM
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

Fill out the list as you pack the boxes, as you don't submit the goods to follow list until you land.

PMM
Hi Pmm,

Mr B landed and left within 48hrs as his visa had a short validity, we won't move for several months, hence the guesswork with the boxes Nothing is packed yet!

Biiiiink

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.