Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Partner and family moving to Canada

Partner and family moving to Canada

Old May 12th 2021, 2:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner and family moving to Canada

To obtain a temporary work permit (TWP) - which are issued on entry to Canada, with a Letter of Intruduction- she would have to be offered a job and the employer would most likely need to obtain an LMIA.. (consent to employ her, in effect - advertising and showing proof that there are no Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens throughout Canada willing or able to take the job). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-permit.html - but that's not going to be an easy route as it takes time and money for the potential employer to do so. Flags may go up if you have got married in the UK prior to applying for the TWP, as they may wonder why you haven't applied for SS 'Outland' instead of a TWP..

What is it she does for a living?

If she was able to get TWP then yes, you could apply for Inland SS.

Old May 12th 2021, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

MacCanuck76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
To obtain a temporary work permit (TWP) - which are issued on entry to Canada, with a Letter of Intruduction- she would have to be offered a job and the employer would most likely need to obtain an LMIA.. (consent to employ her, in effect - advertising and showing proof that there are no Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens throughout Canada willing or able to take the job). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk-permit.html - but that's not going to be an easy route as it takes time and money for the potential employer to do so. Flags may go up if you have got married in the UK prior to applying for the TWP, as they may wonder why you haven't applied for SS 'Outland' instead of a TWP..
Ah I see. A friend of mine knows of some work in my fiance's field and the employer are always looking for people to work. My thinking is that if there is some work available around the time of my then-wife's arrival - and they are willing to go through the LMIA given her experience - then they'll be able to assist with the TWP.
We can't do the outland SS as we're; not married yet, or common-law or conjugal partners

What is it she does for a living?
She's an Education/Teacher Assistant (specializing in SEN)

If she was able to get TWP then yes, you could apply for Inland SS.
Got ya. Good to know! Thank you so much again. I shall sit down with a cuppa and some Rich Tea biscuits and go through the Wiki again, and also check over my forms that I started to fill out
Old May 12th 2021, 11:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacCanuck76
Ah I see. A friend of mine knows of some work in my fiance's field and the employer are always looking for people to work. My thinking is that if there is some work available around the time of my then-wife's arrival - and they are willing to go through the LMIA given her experience - then they'll be able to assist with the TWP.
We can't do the outland SS as we're; not married yet, or common-law or conjugal partners

She's an Education/Teacher Assistant (specializing in SEN)

Got ya. Good to know! Thank you so much again. I shall sit down with a cuppa and some Rich Tea biscuits and go through the Wiki again, and also check over my forms that I started to fill out
She may need Certficatiion to be able to work in that field... has she looked into it?
https://www.workbc.ca/careers/4413

Job requirements

Education, training & qualifications

• Completion of secondary school is required.
  • Teacher assistants usually require completion of a 10-month college program in teaching assistance, educational assistance or other social science program.
  • Teacher assistants who help students with special needs usually require specialized training and experience.
She is very unlikely to obtain a valid job offer with LMIA for this type of job, unfortunately. They would have to prove that they have advertised for weeks and that nobody else in Canada (PR or Citizen) is able, willing nor qualfied to take the job.

You can apply for Outland SS as soon as you are married. (keep in mind that the children may also need to be sponsored as they are dependents, requiring examination regardless of whether they intend to move to Canada or not).

Last edited by Siouxie; May 12th 2021 at 11:38 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
She may need Certficatiion to be able to work in that field... has she looked into it?
https://www.workbc.ca/careers/4413

She is very unlikely to obtain a valid job offer with LMIA for this type of job, unfortunately. They would have to prove that they have advertised for weeks and that nobody else in Canada (PR or Citizen) is able, willing nor qualfied to take the job.

You can apply for Outland SS as soon as you are married. (keep in mind that the children may also need to be sponsored as they are dependents, requiring examination regardless of whether they intend to move to Canada or not).
Hello all! I hope everyone is well! So...a bit of an update and a question (last-minute doubts lol):

So, my wife and I got married Thursday gone and we're scheduled to fly back to Canada together this Thursday. (The wedding was really lovely and we had a great time!)
We did get our marriage certificate through the mail pretty quickly, but don't have the funds to start the SA just yet. However, we've been working on securing some work/job offers for her, and she has a meeting set up for when she lands with the view to work in the Behaviour Intervention field (I can ask them to provide proof the job posting that's been active for a while and that no-one from Canada so far has been found to take the job). I also have some work prospects lined up as well in her field of work. We have proof of the conversation regarding this potential work offer.

Question: Do we just go through the normal passport line at YVR and disclose the information, or go to Immigration? What should we say? She has a return ticket booked for April of next year.

Regarding the Certification, her qualifications she has transfer over well.

Warm regards,
Michael
Old Oct 5th 2021, 5:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MacCanuck76
Hello all! I hope everyone is well! So...a bit of an update and a question (last-minute doubts lol):

So, my wife and I got married Thursday gone and we're scheduled to fly back to Canada together this Thursday. (The wedding was really lovely and we had a great time!)
We did get our marriage certificate through the mail pretty quickly, but don't have the funds to start the SA just yet. However, we've been working on securing some work/job offers for her, and she has a meeting set up for when she lands with the view to work in the Behaviour Intervention field (I can ask them to provide proof the job posting that's been active for a while and that no-one from Canada so far has been found to take the job). I also have some work prospects lined up as well in her field of work. We have proof of the conversation regarding this potential work offer.

Question: Do we just go through the normal passport line at YVR and disclose the information, or go to Immigration? What should we say? She has a return ticket booked for April of next year.

Regarding the Certification, her qualifications she has transfer over well.

Warm regards,
Michael
I strongly suggest that you start the application before coming to Canada, particularly as your now wife (Congrats, by the way!) has applied for jobs and has an interview.

If CBSA see that she intends to remain in Canada and isn't a genuine visitor, they could refuse her entry. There are no guarantees that they will give her visitor status up to April of next year (i.e. 6 months) - it could be as little as a week! Does she have proof of ties to the UK? Proof of a reason to return - such as her job, a training course - a rental agreement etc., She needs to be able to prove she is a genuine visitor.

Please read the following section in our wiki.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...d:_Dual_Intent

A note for people who want to apply inland after entering Canada using Dual Intent

A February 2017 judgement, 'Mata vs Canada', outlines the case of an American who was issued an exclusion order after trying to enter Canada under dual intent with the intention of applying for Inland sponsorship but was turned away due to a lack of ties to the home country: Visiting Canada under Dual Intent / Intending Inland sponsorship - please read

Outland applicants generally don't run into this issue because they have already applied for permanent residency and can prove it, which is why this article recommends only entering Canada after Sponsor Approval, or at minimum an acknowledgement of receipt has been received. However since, by definition, inland applicants cannot apply from outside of Canada, they have an extra challenge to overcome when they enter, in that they must convince the officer that they are genuine dual intent applicants without having applied for PR at all. As in the Mata case, this is a massive risk and the potential consequence is an exclusion order.

So think very carefully about this when applying inland vs outland.
Also read carefully the official word.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...derations.html

With regards any job offer, the employer will need to apply for an LMIA a(not simply a case of saying they have advertised) unless you are able to make an Inland application for Spousal Sponsorship (with a work permit).

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 5th 2021 at 5:10 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the congrats Siouxie! We landed back last night. Great news indeed! We we praying the entire trip

For those travelling from the UK to Canada (particularly BC), make sure you have your vaccine card from your 2nd jab. My daughter and I are both double-vaxxed and have our ("Vaccinated") Vaccine Card with the QR Code, but be advised British Airways wanted to see a "certificate" with the dose info and date. My daughter showed her the screenshot of her card and that still wasn't good enough. She asked why she didn't have it with her in person. We were coming home to Canada. My wife was double-vaxxed in UK. It would've made more sense if Canadian rules didn't like UK vaccines. Anyhow, after standing there for about 2.5 hrs trying to check in, and the 1st check in agent went for her break. Another guy came and questioned why she did what did. The flight was closing but he checked us in right away (with all our overweight bags free of charge hahaha God is good!) We ran to the gate and had 10 mins to go before the gate closed.

Flight was fine - BA are now serving meals again on the flight.

Got to the border - explained our story honestly, and the guard (great guy) said we could extend her 6 month stay to cover the application processing time. Waved us on our way without another word! Thank God!

Application will be on its way asap. Thank you all for your help with this story to-date. Hoping to be more of an active member on the site Right, off to White Spot for our first breakfast as a new family!

Cheers,
Michael