Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Partner and family moving to Canada

Partner and family moving to Canada

Old Aug 31st 2019, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

MacCanuck76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner and family moving to Canada

Hello all,
Firstly, it's good to be back on the BE site again. I remember using this site when looking to immigrate myself. Celebrated my 10th Canniversary in June!

So, I'm now a citizen of 3 yrs and my girlfriend is planning to move over to Canada from England next year. Very excited about that. Things have changed since my PR application from 2005-2009. I'm trying to assist with the PR application, so on my girlfriend's behalf, I've completed the:
- IM0008 (General Application Form)
- IMM5669 (Schedule A - Background/Declaration)

On the Document Checklist, we have pretty much all the photocopies in the lower section, except the Temporary Resident Permit.

Questions:
- Do you need to have this before applying for PR? From my research the TRP is only issued to persons who are inadmissible for a number of reasons
- Is the Express Entry now the only way to apply for PR?

We've looked into the sponsorship route, but as we're not yet married and don't quite meet that criteria right now, so I thought I'd reach out to the source I trusted many years ago!
Cheers,
Michael
Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner and family moving to Canada

TRP is only for those inadmissible. To qualify as common law you need to have lived together for 12 consecutive months and have proof such as joint bills, insurance policies and anything else that shows you lived together as partners as opposed to a room mate.

Use link below for various routes to PR as not all are Express Entry

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

There is also the temporary foreign worker, student or IEC routes that could lead to PR.
When you say she is moving over what exactly do you mean? A lot more info is needed before we can suggest how to proceed.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply...
The aim is to get married next year, and then she (and at least 1 of her 3 children - all under 22) will be moving to Canada to live and study. If sponsorship a process that can be done once we're married, and be done while they're here (as she would be my wife), then that works.
What visa would they need to be able to remain in Canada?
It sounds like the Temporary Foreign Worker may suit her status while the application is in process.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 1st 2019, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacCanuck76
Hello all,
Firstly, it's good to be back on the BE site again. I remember using this site when looking to immigrate myself.
Welcome back. If you message me with your original username, I can get your accounts merged.

On the Document Checklist, we have pretty much all the photocopies in the lower section, except the Temporary Resident Permit.
Document checklist for what? You mention EE, so does this mean your girlfriend has already applied, and been given an Invitation to Apply? Is this her personalised checklist you're referring to?

The aim is to get married next year, and then she (and at least 1 of her 3 children - all under 22) will be moving to Canada to live and study. If sponsorship a process that can be done once we're married, and be done while they're here (as she would be my wife), then that works.
What visa would they need to be able to remain in Canada?
It sounds like the Temporary Foreign Worker may suit her status while the application is in process.
You can sponsor her once married, but if she's about to apply for PR under EE as you seem to imply above, then she will get that before your marriage next year, so you won't need to sponsor her.

For a Temporary Work Permit she'll need a job offer and LMIA first (the LMIA is something the employer has to apply for, at a cost of $1000 to them, to prove they've been unable to find a Canadian able to do the job). So she'll need to get job hunting if she wants to go down that route, but again she should have PR under EE within 6 months anyway, so probably not much point tbh as the LMIA is likely to take a few months.

If she doesn't already have permission from the children's father to remove them from UK jurisdiction, then make sure she gets that underway asap in case it takes longer than anticipated.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 1st 2019 at 5:20 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Welcome back. If you message me with your original username, I can get your accounts merged.

Document checklist for what? You mention EE, so does this mean your girlfriend has already applied, and been given an Invitation to Apply? Is this her personalised checklist you're referring to?

You can sponsor her once married, but if she's about to apply for PR under EE as you seem to imply above, then she will get that before your marriage next year, so you won't need to sponsor her.

For a Temporary Work Permit she'll need a job offer and LMIA first (the LMIA is something the employer has to apply for, at a cost of $1000 to them, to prove they've been unable to find a Canadian able to do the job). So she'll need to get job hunting if she wants to go down that route, but again she should have PR under EE within 6 months anyway, so probably not much point tbh as the LMIA is likely to take a few months.

If she doesn't already have permission from the children's father to remove them from UK jurisdiction, then make sure she gets that underway asap in case it takes longer than anticipated.

HTH, good luck.
Thank you so much. Don't worry about merging the accounts. That was then, this is now

Re: Document Checklist. Was trying to complete the EE application (for Permanent Resident) but haven't yet had the Invite To Apply. Just opened the form again and realized it's not the right one we needed.

From the info gathered so far, I think sponsorship would be the easiest method. We were trying to apply under EE (even engaging the services of a representative), but I think it might be less expensive overall.

Would she need the LMIA once she's in Canada to be able to work while the spousal application is in process? And would she/they need a visa during this time too?

Many thanks!
Old Sep 1st 2019, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Was trying to complete the EE application (for Permanent Resident) but haven't yet had the Invite To Apply.
Ah, I see. What's her score on the CRS? Is it enough to get an invite to apply? Don't fill in any forms yet, it's not like the old system. Now it's all online, and she'll get a tailored checklist if/when she gets an ITA.

From the info gathered so far, I think sponsorship would be the easiest method.
Easiest, yes probably.

We were trying to apply under EE (even engaging the services of a representative), but I think it might be less expensive overall.
It will be slightly cheaper to do spousal sponsorship, visa fees are a bit higher but you'll save on not needing things like an ECA etc. No need for a consultant whichever route you use though, both are straightforward so unless there are complicated circumstances, just use BE!

Would she need the LMIA once she's in Canada to be able to work while the spousal application is in process? And would she/they need a visa during this time too?
Yes to both, if she wants to work. Spousal sponsorship will take about a year (EE is quicker at approx 6 months), once you're married you can apply. If she wants to move to Canada between marriage and getting PR (rather than just visiting), the yes, she'll need a visa allowing her to do so.

HTH, good luck.

​​​​​​​
Old Nov 10th 2020, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Hello all! Hope you're safe and well . Wanted to provide an update to this thread/story.

So, since there had bee some lockdown back home, my fiance's IELTS test kept getting postponed. Then they screwed her booking which we thought was for September gone, but had been confirmed in their system (really peeved about that). It's now booked for 21st November. But, I entered some mock test results on the EE and she's just short of having enough points for the ITA. (If only there was a "fiance in Canada" category in the Family in Canada section. We have receipts and booking confirmation for our planned wedding next July).

Should we still continue with the application?

We have a Plan B in case an application that is submitted, doesn't get approved in time for her to come to Canada, and that is to get married in England in April, and then do a Spousal Sponsorship application.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hello all! Hope you're safe and well . Wanted to provide an update to this thread/story.

So, since there had bee some lockdown back home, my fiance's IELTS test kept getting postponed. Then they screwed her booking which we thought was for September gone, but had been confirmed in their system (really peeved about that). It's now booked for 21st November. But, I entered some mock test results on the EE and she's just short of having enough points for the ITA. (If only there was a "fiance in Canada" category in the Family in Canada section. We have receipts and booking confirmation for our planned wedding next July).

Should we still continue with the application?

We have a Plan B in case an application that is submitted, doesn't get approved in time for her to come to Canada, and that is to get married in England in April, and then do a Spousal Sponsorship application.
When you say she's short of points, exactly how many do you think she'll be scoring once she's got her IELTS results? Has she got her ECA already? If you can give us a breakdown of her points, we can help you work out if she stands a chance, or if you're better off just applying via spousal sponsorship.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
When you say she's short of points, exactly how many do you think she'll be scoring once she's got her IELTS results? Has she got her ECA already? If you can give us a breakdown of her points, we can help you work out if she stands a chance, or if you're better off just applying via spousal sponsorship.
Hi Christmasoompa,
Good to hear from you again! I think she'll do well and score say 8-9-7-7. The sign in page for GCKey is down at the moment so I'll reply once I can get back in and do it again. Thanks for offering to help with points breakdown.

With current travel restrictions, we may not be able to have the wedding we want to in Canada with the people that should be there. I think things are pointing towards Plan B. I'll reply back later.

Cheers!
Michael
Old Nov 10th 2020, 4:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Christmasoompa,
Good to hear from you again! I think she'll do well and score say 8-9-7-7. The sign in page for GCKey is down at the moment so I'll reply once I can get back in and do it again. Thanks for offering to help with points breakdown.

With current travel restrictions, we may not be able to have the wedding we want to in Canada with the people that should be there. I think things are pointing towards Plan B. I'll reply back later.

Cheers!
Michael
Hello there, welcome back!

That would be her IELT test result numbers (theoretically) - but does she qualify for being classed as a FSW (minimum of 67) and what is her CRS score? She will need around 460 to be in with a chance of being selected from the EE pool. Full explanation of the above - with links to the tools - in a lovely post in our Wiki by Chrismasoompa - just follow the steps to get the numbers https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

Old Nov 11th 2020, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello there, welcome back!

That would be her IELT test result numbers (theoretically) - but does she qualify for being classed as a FSW (minimum of 67) and what is her CRS score? She will need around 460 to be in with a chance of being selected from the EE pool. Full explanation of the above - with links to the tools - in a lovely post in our Wiki by Chrismasoompa - just follow the steps to get the numbers https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration
Hi Siouxie,

Ok, I was able to log in and obtain a CRS score. It's 323. I'm working through the links and looking at the FSW section and doing an assessment now. Thanks for link to the Wiki post
Old Nov 11th 2020, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Hi Siouxie,

Ok, I was able to log in and obtain a CRS score. It's 323. I'm working through the links and looking at the FSW section and doing an assessment now. Thanks for link to the Wiki post
The EE score breakdown was as follows:
Core/Human capital factors = 248
Spouse = 0 (sucks that even our 2 year relationship and engagement doesn't count)
Skill transferability = 75

Old Nov 11th 2020, 8:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK, so absolutely no point in her carrying on with her EE application IMO then, she's just too far short on points. You can save a few hundred pounds by cancelling the IELTS/ECA, and just concentrate on spousal sponsorship.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much! It most certainly does help! Makes sense as well. From what I was seeing, she can stay in Canada once we're married, and do the inland spousal sponsorship. Is that correct?
If so, would she need to obtain an open work permit to work in Canada whilst the PR application is in progress?
Old Nov 11th 2020, 11:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you so much! It most certainly does help! Makes sense as well. From what I was seeing, she can stay in Canada once we're married, and do the inland spousal sponsorship. Is that correct?
If so, would she need to obtain an open work permit to work in Canada whilst the PR application is in progress?
'Inland' applications are for those already in Canada on another legal status i.e. work permit, study permit etc. I would personally advise against an inland application if she's only a visitor, I'd do an outland application and then she can travel to Canada under 'dual intent' once you are approved as a sponsor - full details of both options in the Wiki.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.