British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Parents - extend landing deadline (grandfather on deathbed)? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/parents-extend-landing-deadline-grandfather-deathbed-789600/)

Phaedrus Mar 6th 2013 3:57 am

Parents - extend landing deadline (grandfather on deathbed)?

Hello,

My parents had to had to cancel their PR landing trip today - literally a couple hours before boarding the flight to Canada. My grandfather became seriously ill, he is in on life support and the Hospital Doctors have confirmed that he will not survive more than a couple of days.

Understandably, it is hard for my parents to deal with the imminent loss of a parent. I would like to explore the possibility of requesting CIC for granting an extension of the deadline for landing for my parents. Their immigrant visa (landing deadline) expires at end of March 2013.

Has anyone come across a scenario where CIC has approved an extension of the PR visa expiration date due to the death of an immediate family member of the principal applicant?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Humphries Mar 6th 2013 4:27 am

Re: Parents - extend landing deadline (grandfather on deathbed)?

I have not heard of any such exception so my advice would be that they come to Canada, land and immediately return home. Others may also be able to shed some light here. PMM comes to mind.

Phaedrus Mar 7th 2013 7:31 pm

Thank you for your response. I have been unable to get through to the CIC call center - heavy call volumes keep kicking me off the queue :(

To be safe, I am assuming what you said is true unless I can get a CIC agent to confirm an extension.

christmasoompa Mar 7th 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Phaedrus (Post 10590562)
To be safe, I am assuming what you said is true unless I can get a CIC agent to confirm an extension.

Just so you know, if you do get through to the CIC call centre, you won't be speaking to an immigration officer - just somebody with a script that usually has very little immigration knowledge. It's best not to rely on what they say, if you want a definitive answer then contact an immigration lawyer.

FWIW, I agree with Jim.

Phaedrus Mar 7th 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10590576)
Just so you know, if you do get through to the CIC call centre, you won't be speaking to an immigration officer - just somebody with a script that usually has very little immigration knowledge. It's best not to rely on what they say, if you want a definitive answer then contact an immigration lawyer.

FWIW, I agree with Jim.

Thanks for the perspective... makes sense. I will contact an immigration lawyer.