Parent Super-visa questions

Old Oct 8th 2022, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent Super-visa questions

Evening all,

I'm a British/Canadian citizen looking to sponsor my mum to come to Canada under the parent super-visa. I understand things have changed since July 2022 and a parent can now visit for up to 5 years rather than 2 years. I had a few questions around this:

1) If my mum rents her place out in the UK, will she be liable to pay tax in Canada? Or is this a non-issue as she is technically visiting under the super-visa?
2) Would she be able to go back to the UK and continue to have access to the NHS? Are there any residency implications if she has been out of the UK for up to 5 years?
3) Does anyone know how long it takes to get a super-visa?
4) I understand she'll need to get 1 years medical insurance, assuming this needs to be renewed every year while she is in Canada?

Cheers in advance!

Last edited by dj322; Oct 8th 2022 at 3:56 am.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 6:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent Super-visa questions

1) She’ll need to register as a ‘non resident landlord’. Under that scheme she’ll still have to pay tax in the UK but she’ll be tax resident in Canada (so any other income such as pensions will generally be taxed there).

2) No, she’ll no longer be eligible to use the NHS (other than for emergency treatment, the same as all visitors are entitled to). If she returns to the UK for a visit she’ll need travel insurance.

3) Currently quoted at 96 days.

4) if she’s planning on leaving Canada during the 5 years then yes. It must “be valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by the border services officer (BSO) upon request”

HTH, good luck.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

mrbanks is an unknown quantity at this point

If she has a UK state pension it will likely be frozen at the current level
Old Oct 8th 2022, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
1) She’ll need to register as a ‘non resident landlord’. Under that scheme she’ll still have to pay tax in the UK but she’ll be tax resident in Canada (so any other income such as pensions will generally be taxed there there as in UK or Canada?).
If she is a non-resident landlord, doesn't that mean she will have to pay taxes in Canada only?

2) No, she’ll no longer be eligible to use the NHS (other than for emergency treatment, the same as all visitors are entitled to). If she returns to the UK for a visit she’ll need travel insurance.
Then does this mean she will be a visitor in Canada and the UK, meaning she will have to pay for dental and optical appointments etc in both countries rather than being covered by NHS/MSP? If she goes back to the UK, is she taking out travel insurance as if she's a Canadian resident? I guess I'm confused as I thought the super-visa is like a visitor visa so you'd still be considered a visitor rather than a resident of Canada?

3) Currently quoted at 96 days.

4) if she’s planning on leaving Canada during the 5 years then yes. It must “be valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by the border services officer (BSO) upon request”

HTH, good luck.
Thanks, not sure I totally understand, see my comments in red.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you Google non-resident landlord it’ll give you the info you need. ‘There’ is Canada, any other income she has will usually be taxed in Canada as she’ll be tax resident there. But she’ll pay tax on UK income property in the UK, that’s an exception.

And no, she won’t be a visitor in Canada if she’s staying for years. She should be eligible for provincial healthcare there, but either way she won’t be eligible for the NHS.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

If you Google non-resident landlord it’ll give you the info you need. ‘There’ is Canada, any other income she has will usually be taxed in Canada as she’ll be tax resident there. But she’ll pay tax on UK income property in the UK, that’s an exception.

And no, she won’t be a visitor in Canada if she’s staying for years. She should be eligible for provincial healthcare there, but either way she won’t be eligible for the NHS.
thanks, it looks like she won’t be eligible for MSP in BC (where I live) as the first thing it states is that you must be:
  • A citizen of Canada or lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence

So it sounds like she wouldn’t be eligible for NHS or MSP…crazy!

To pay taxes in Canada it also states you’ll need a SIN, but you it doesn’t seem you can get one whilst on a Supervisa.

Last edited by dj322; Oct 8th 2022 at 11:30 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj322
thanks, it looks like she won’t be eligible for MSP in BC (where I live) as the first thing it states is that you must be:
  • A citizen of Canada or lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence

So it sounds like she wouldn’t be eligible for NHS or MSP…crazy!

To pay taxes in Canada it also states you’ll need a SIN, but you it doesn’t seem you can get one whilst on a Supervisa.
We are in Ontario, originally came here using the SV. You have to apply to the revenue for a SIN. We used an accountant and he applied for it.

We also couldn’t access Ontario healthcare. We had to take out health insurance with an approved Canadian insurance company. It would only cover emergency treatment. Therefore any existing health conditions would not be covered. Fortunately having lived in the US prior to coming here, we had US healthcare insurance, so we used to cross the border (1 hr drive) for healthcare.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So it sounds like she wouldn’t be eligible for NHS or MSP…crazy.
Hence the insurance requirement I guess. But the info about having to be a PR or citizen for MSP can't be correct, as other temp residents qualify for MSP i.e. temporary workers and students. So I'd double check that?

Yes, you can, she'd qualify as a 'temporary resident' so get one under that.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 9th 2022 at 1:52 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hence the insurance requirement.

Yes, you can, she'd qualify as a 'temporary resident' so get one under that.

HTH.
Apply for the SIN as soon as you, that way you will not be in arrears paying Canadian taxes.