Parent sponsorship

Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all
Default Parent sponsorship

Hi, all,

I have a query about parent sponsorship. Myself and my wife lived in Ontario from 2008-2011, then came back in September of 2012 to settle permanently. We initially returned on an intra-company transfer TWP, but received our CEC PR last November.

My mother-in-law would like to move out here to be closer to us. My wife is an only child and her mother is single, and though she does have some siblings and nieces/nephews in the UK, she understandably wants to be closer to her daughter and grandkids. We would like to sponsor her, and we've started gathering paperwork and documentation ready to submit in January.

My first question regards proof of income. We both have notice of assessments for the entirety of the 2014 and 2013 tax years, but our NoA's for 2012 only cover the final 4 months of the year. Our gross household income in Canada for 2012 is less than the required amount, but pro-rated (or including our 2012 income from the U.K) we would meet it comfortably. Will this be sufficient, or are we looking at having to wait another year so that we have three complete-year tax returns?

My second question relates to processing times. I know that prior to the moratorium on new applications the waits for parent/grandparent sponsorship were excessively long, but a press release suggested that new applications in 2014 would only take 2-2.5 years, with the aim of bringing that down to 1-2 years for 2015 and beyond applications. Does anyone know if these new targets are being met?

My last question regards the parent/grandparent super visa. My MiL is looking at this as an alternative to get herself out here sooner if the PR processing times are still very lengthy, however my wife and I have reservations about it. On a personal level, we know that my wife's mother is not great at putting herself out there, doing activities and such and making friends, and since she would not be eligible to take on some part-time work while she was out here we are worried she would struggle to fill her days and meet people, and end up lonely. From a practical perspective, she is keen to sell her home in the UK and buy a place out here right away, and we are concerned that will impact her in the "ties to the U.K" part of her application, since with her only child/grandchildren living out her she would essentially be removing her last official tie to Britain. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Apologies for the lengthy post and thank you in advance for any help you guys can offer!
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all
Default Re: Parent sponsorship

Argh, sorry, I meant to put this in the immigration sub-forum.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The processing times are still horrendously long: CIC is quoting 47 months for stage one (sponsorship approval) plus 82 months for second stage at the London office:
Processing Times: Family Sponsorship

You need to meet the minimum necessary income for all 3 preceding years, & I don't think that can be pro-rated for 2012 (in your case), nor whether (And how) you could include UK income for that year.

There are a couple of posters who are here on the Supervisa, hopefully they'll see your questions on that.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the response, Shirtback, much appreciated. I guess we will have to put everything on hold for a year and hope the back log starts to clear a little in the meantime.

The more I read about the super visa, the less convinced I am that it is the right idea in our situation. My MiL is dead set on purchasing an apartment when she comes here and selling her place back in the UK, which is all well and good, but it removes her only official tie to Britain, especially when her only child and grandchildren are here rather than there. She fully intends to go after the 10-year visa and essentially flagpole every two years, i.e a means to move here before she gets PR. From what I can tell, unless we lie on her letter of invitation about how long she plans to be out here (which I am not prepared to do), she is ripe to be rejected for the super visa.