Wikiposts

Parent Sponsorship...

Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough
Default Parent Sponsorship...

Hi all

We applied 2005, it's now time to ask about how/when we can sponsor
living parents, once we emigrate to Canada from the UK.

Do we have to wait until we are Canadian Citizens(18 months min?) or is there
a quicker way. Obviously, we will get them over on a standard 6 month visitors visa, but then we need to get this fixed.

Anyone that has had this experience or is thinking along the same lines, your information or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:39 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent Sponsorship...

I believe the process is as follows:

You need to be a permanent resident in Canada before being eligible to apply to become sponsors of your parents. Concluding that part of the application can take a year or two.

Once you're deemed eligible sponsors, your parents apply to be sponsored - more paperwork and more waiting time unfortunately.

I recall this topic being raised before no so long ago - use the search function and I'm sure you'll find more details posted within the forum.

The following has been posted in the Wikki section:

A permanent resident of Canada who is living in Canada or a Canadian citizen may sponsor a relative's permanent residence application as a Family Class Immigrant if that person is a:
Parent
Grandparent
Child adopted outside of Canada or intended to be adopted in Canada
Brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter who is orphaned, under 18 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner
Another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents; and accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

The sponsor signs an undertaking that he/she will support the sponsored family member, if necessary, for a specified length of time. In the case of a parent or grandparent, for example, the financial commitment is for ten years.

The application process can be lengthy. An application for a parent or grandparent can take five years to be processed.

The procedure is outlined fully here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../relatives.asp

Last edited by R I C H; Jan 14th 2008 at 8:52 am.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Parent Sponsorship...

Hi

That's great information with many references to follow

I hope that once I move and have experienced Canada, that I can help others, as you have helped me.

Many Thanks

Bob