Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jimjoiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
Sorry to hijack your thread. Congrats on your positive LMO - Fingers crossed we'll get on to.

When it was stated you need your marriage cert to apply for SOWP would a copy do? We're in the process of a similar thing for ON and whilst we've been married for 5 years, we got married in the Dominican Republic and have lost our marriage cert. Now whilst I can request a new on, it takes 6 months to come from them. Would a copy do?
hi Bella

I can ask when i am there whether they would have accepted a copy or not - but wont be back to update until December....

where in ontario are you off to?
JJ
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to Manitoulin Island. It's near Sudbury. A lot of people haven't heard of it as it's about 6 hours from TO.

We wont be going till early next year so if you could ask I would really appreciate it.

Where abouts are you guys going?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

hi Bella

Windsor Ontario - just across the water from Detroit. About 4 hours from Toronto (but in a different direction)

I will ask for you - so message me after the 2nd December (in case I forget)
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to reply to my original thread...my OH has activated his TWP through immigration in Calgary on 17th November (we are still here) and I obtained my SOWP...all we were asked for was copy of LMO and job offer, that was it ! really straight forward...
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Great to know Gillan85 - Good luck with your plans...
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
Sorry to hijack your thread. Congrats on your positive LMO - Fingers crossed we'll get on to.

When it was stated you need your marriage cert to apply for SOWP would a copy do? We're in the process of a similar thing for ON and whilst we've been married for 5 years, we got married in the Dominican Republic and have lost our marriage cert. Now whilst I can request a new on, it takes 6 months to come from them. Would a copy do?
Hi Bella
As promised... we landed in Toronto last saturday and went heart in mouth to immigration. Needn't have worried - picking up TWP and SOWP was a piece of cake. Lovely girl was only interested in Job offer, Approved LMO and proof of address for me. She asked to see the Marriage cert and I took the opportunity to ask on your behalf whether a copy would have been ok.
She said that for her it would - as at the end of the day it is only to prove that the two individuals are genuinely married and she would only get "picky" if she started to doubt it.
Short answer is you should be ok with a copy, but she couldn,t talk for all her colleagues. So make sure to wear wedding rings and maybe take a copy of wedding photos etc if you are chancing it.
No definitive answer, but hope this helps?

Good luck JJ
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

gymbunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jimjoiner,

How do you proof your address when you just arrive in Canada? Do they need proof of your UK address or did you have a house lined up before you came over?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi

I simply had a letter from a friend "Canada side" which was agreeing to rent me his basement at $x per month...

Nothing official - but they were happy with it. I don't know whether i could have blagged it with nothing, but they did ask me the question of where I would be living.

Hope this helps?

JJ
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for that. I really appreciate it. I doubt it'd be a problem now you've set my mind at ease.

Nice to hear that landing went so well also. Remember to keep us up dated!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Will do Bella...

Will continue to be a frequent visitor to this fine site in the New Year from the Great white north....

Good luck to you as well