Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:03 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Windsor Ontario
Posts: 58
Jimjoiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Hi all

I am now 4 weeks into a watching brief on an LMO application for Ontario - percieved wisdom seems to be that no news is good news, and that 7-8 weeks is a reasonable estimate of timelines .

This means that potentially in a couple of weeks I MIGHT be landing at Toronto airport and attempting to get a TWP for myself and a SWOP for Mrs J - with the intention of returning home to resign, tidy up affairs and prepare for a permanent return in a couple more weeks.

What I cant afford to mess up is the landing at Toronto and applications at POE.

It appears from cic site that I will not need a medical, but I want/need to make sure that all eventualities are covered (just in case).
i know i will need:
Job offer letter
Approved LMO docs
Police report
Evidence of funds held
Some proof of address in Canada

My question is - what else could I get together to make sure that I have every eventuality covered?

The wisdom of this site seems my best chance of covering bases, as the official sites and excellent Wiki don't convince me I know ebeverything I might need.

Once again - I would really be grateful, as my nerves are quickly shredding!

Cheers all

JJ
Jimjoiner is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:08 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,164
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

You've got more than you need, so should be fine. Assume you have read the Wiki article about getting a TWP at POE which tells you exactly what you need to take?

And just to add for the sake of anybody reading in the future that if you *did* need a medical, then you couldn't apply at POE anyway.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:57 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Windsor Ontario
Posts: 58
Jimjoiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Many thanks...

the job I have been offered is a specialist sales/business development role, and I therefore presume notf a medical as it is not dealing at all directly with vulnerable individuls.
the business, however, is in the Health sector - so just to avoid confusion, is there anyone I can ask directly to confirm that the medical is not required, as getting turned away at POE would be a disaster!!

Sorry, but since i embarked on this journey the nerng the better of me..

Sorry - my typing is a disaster - "the nerves are getting the better of me" I meant to say!!

Last edited by Jimjoiner; Sep 20th 2011 at 4:59 am. Reason: spelling
Jimjoiner is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:47 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 185
gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by Jimjoiner
Hi all

I am now 4 weeks into a watching brief on an LMO application for Ontario - percieved wisdom seems to be that no news is good news, and that 7-8 weeks is a reasonable estimate of timelines .

This means that potentially in a couple of weeks I MIGHT be landing at Toronto airport and attempting to get a TWP for myself and a SWOP for Mrs J - with the intention of returning home to resign, tidy up affairs and prepare for a permanent return in a couple more weeks.

What I cant afford to mess up is the landing at Toronto and applications at POE.

It appears from cic site that I will not need a medical, but I want/need to make sure that all eventualities are covered (just in case).
i know i will need:
Job offer letter
Approved LMO docs
Police report
Evidence of funds held
Some proof of address in Canada

My question is - what else could I get together to make sure that I have every eventuality covered?

The wisdom of this site seems my best chance of covering bases, as the official sites and excellent Wiki don't convince me I know ebeverything I might need.

Once again - I would really be grateful, as my nerves are quickly shredding!

Cheers all

JJ
Is this right that you need to take proof of funds when entering on a TWP ? This might be a daft question but can you still ship furniture abroad the same as if you were going on a PR. I think i read somewhere that you can not purchase a house whilst on a TWP, are there other things that you can not do on a TWP as opposed to PR
gillan85 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:29 am
  #5  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by gillan85
Is this right that you need to take proof of funds when entering on a TWP ? This might be a daft question but can you still ship furniture abroad the same as if you were going on a PR. I think i read somewhere that you can not purchase a house whilst on a TWP, are there other things that you can not do on a TWP as opposed to PR
No, that is why christmasoompa said he has more than he needs.

All you need to claim your TWP at POE is your job offer letter and your LMO.
Of course, you will have your passport with you, so Birth Certificate is not necessary.

The wife will need the marriage certificate to claim her Spousal WP.

You do not need any proof of funds at all.

Yes, you can ship goods on a TWP and you do not need a Goods to Follow list when you get your TWP at POE, either. We did exactly that in July.
As a temporary worker you can ship all your stuff as long as you agree to take it all back at the end of your work permit period.

I don't think there is any rule about buying a house - after all, you can own property as a holiday home even if you are not a resident. You would not be able to get a mortgage, though and there are the tax issues.

Last edited by helcat12; Oct 31st 2011 at 3:31 am. Reason: Addition
helcat12 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:38 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 185
gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by helcat12
No, that is why christmasoompa said he has more than he needs.

All you need to claim your TWP at POE is your job offer letter and your LMO.
Of course, you will have your passport with you, so Birth Certificate is not necessary.

The wife will need the marriage certificate to claim her Spousal WP.

You do not need any proof of funds at all.

Yes, you can ship goods on a TWP and you do not need a Goods to Follow list when you get your TWP at POE, either. We did exactly that in July.
As a temporary worker you can ship all your stuff as long as you agree to take it all back at the end of your work permit period.

I don't think there is any rule about buying a house - after all, you can own property as a holiday home even if you are not a resident. You would not be able to get a mortgage, though and there are the tax issues.
Thanks for your advice helcat12...really helpful.
gillan85 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:01 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 889
wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by Jimjoiner
This means that potentially in a couple of weeks I MIGHT be landing at Toronto airport and attempting to get a TWP for myself and a SWOP for Mrs J - with the intention of returning home to resign, tidy up affairs and prepare for a permanent return in a couple more weeks.
Why are you activating your TWP and then returning home? Time will start ticking off your TWP as soon as it is activated.

You may be better off waiting and activating when you move over permanently. If this isn't an option for whatever reason, then get a letter from your employer that states your start date, explain the situation to the CBSA officer and ask if they can start the TWP from the start date of your job rather than from when you land.

With regards to mortgages - I had a chat with my bank (RBC) last week with regards to mortgages on a TWP.

As long as you have good Canadian credit history, you can get a mortgage providing you have at least a year left to run on your TWP and a minimum 5% deposit.

Cash back mortgages (in effect no down payment required), are out of the question though.

If you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes, I wouldn't have thought there would be tax issues associated with buying a house on a TWP. At least, my mortgage advisor hasn't mentioned such implications.
Best of luck.

Last edited by wolstie; Oct 31st 2011 at 4:08 am.
wolstie is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:21 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Windsor Ontario
Posts: 58
Jimjoiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Hi Wolstie

Many thanks - The reason I am activating my TWP then returning is because I am cautious...

I have a good job here in the UK and need to work 1 months notice - if I handed in my notice and then went to get the TWP in that order, I would be scared of not getting it for whatever reason, and I would then be without a job in both Canada and the UK.

Safety first for me - unless of course members of this esteemed forum know better

JJ
Jimjoiner is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:42 am
  #9  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by Jimjoiner
Hi Wolstie

Many thanks - The reason I am activating my TWP then returning is because I am cautious...

I have a good job here in the UK and need to work 1 months notice - if I handed in my notice and then went to get the TWP in that order, I would be scared of not getting it for whatever reason, and I would then be without a job in both Canada and the UK.

Safety first for me - unless of course members of this esteemed forum know better

JJ
If you have your valid LMO and official job offer letter, then there should be no issues getting your TWP at POE.
The only thing which could cause an issue is if you have any criminal convictions or a criminal record, in which case you need to look into the implications of that right away.
Otherwise there is no reason why there should be a problem.
Being careful I can understand completely, but it really is nothing to worry about
helcat12 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:27 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 889
wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by helcat12
If you have your valid LMO and official job offer letter, then there should be no issues getting your TWP at POE.
The only thing which could cause an issue is if you have any criminal convictions or a criminal record, in which case you need to look into the implications of that right away.
Otherwise there is no reason why there should be a problem.
Being careful I can understand completely, but it really is nothing to worry about
Agreed. As soon as I got my positive LMO - I packed my job in, worked my notice and came over to activate my TWP. As long as you've got the docs in order you should be fine.

I printed off this page from the CIC web-site (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...ible.asp#enter), and took it with me as a back up. Of course, I didn't need it. She was just interested in the LMO and letter of employment offer.

Last edited by wolstie; Oct 31st 2011 at 11:32 pm. Reason: added link
wolstie is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:21 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Windsor Ontario
Posts: 58
Jimjoiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Woo Hoo It has arrived!!!

Job interview 6th June - Job offer 10th August - LMO submitted 24th August - LMO approved 14th November for 2 years...

We are now flying to Pearson Toronto on friday 25th to activate TWP and SOWP.

Does anyone have any last minute tips on "do's and "dont's" - as we really need this to go smoothly

Mrs J and I will be finding a Canadian house to rent next weekend, and are so excited we have hardly slept since monday. We will turn up in Canada looking like we have been "dug up"!!

We would be really grateful for any last minute advice - the 11-12 weeks waiting on the LMO have been the longest of my life - But we got a positive result
Jimjoiner is offline  
Old Nov 19th 2011, 5:15 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 124
Moondoggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

As people have already pointed out, you seem to have all you need and more! Me and my partner are also going to apply for his SOWP as we land (I have already been granted my TWP via the London Embassy) and we are planning to take the same documents as you listed. minus the proof of funds, since this isnt needed.

We are also applying for a TRP for my partner as well so need some additional documents.
Moondoggy is offline  
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:24 pm
  #13  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Originally Posted by Jimjoiner
Woo Hoo It has arrived!!!

Job interview 6th June - Job offer 10th August - LMO submitted 24th August - LMO approved 14th November for 2 years...

We are now flying to Pearson Toronto on friday 25th to activate TWP and SOWP.

Does anyone have any last minute tips on "do's and "dont's" - as we really need this to go smoothly

Mrs J and I will be finding a Canadian house to rent next weekend, and are so excited we have hardly slept since monday. We will turn up in Canada looking like we have been "dug up"!!

We would be really grateful for any last minute advice - the 11-12 weeks waiting on the LMO have been the longest of my life - But we got a positive result
Do not get a pre-paid mobile telephone - go straight away and get a contract one which will be much cheaper.
Swap your UK driving license asap - it is so useful as proof of your Canadian address.
Get your SIN number asap.
Good Luck and enjoy.
helcat12 is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:22 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Bella Cullen's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Sudbury, Northern ON
Posts: 221
Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

Sorry to hijack your thread. Congrats on your positive LMO - Fingers crossed we'll get on to.

When it was stated you need your marriage cert to apply for SOWP would a copy do? We're in the process of a similar thing for ON and whilst we've been married for 5 years, we got married in the Dominican Republic and have lost our marriage cert. Now whilst I can request a new on, it takes 6 months to come from them. Would a copy do?
Bella Cullen is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:53 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Windsor Ontario
Posts: 58
Jimjoiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paperwork for a TWP and Spousal (SOWP) permit at POE

thanks everyone once again for all the advice and support..you guys in this forum are truly amazing

I am not sure about copies of official documents - so won't be able to offer an opinion. But I believe in covering all the bases and if an original or duplicate can be sourced i would try and do it.

Good luck to you
Jimjoiner is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.