Panic stations!

Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:31 am
Delbert

alan dell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Panic stations!

Hi all

Hope you can help us out. Our visas expire very shortly and our house sale has fallen through. I have heard that you can fly out to Canada then return. Is this the case? Do you need your PR cards sent to an address in Canada and if so can they be posted back to the UK. How long do I have before I need to return to Canada (does the two out of five years apply). Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. From a slightly panicky family of five.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:44 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Panic stations!

Originally Posted by alan dell
Hi all

Hope you can help us out. Our visas expire very shortly and our house sale has fallen through. I have heard that you can fly out to Canada then return. Is this the case? Do you need your PR cards sent to an address in Canada and if so can they be posted back to the UK. How long do I have before I need to return to Canada (does the two out of five years apply). Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. From a slightly panicky family of five.
I feel with you on the house sale. We were in a similar situation when we had to leave the US (work permit expired) and moved to switzerland.

But you you can land and then fly right back (2 out of 5 year rule applies), you just have to be able to show the minimum settlement funds on landing which if you do not have them in cash may worst case require an additional mortgage on your house temporarily

good luck.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 8:13 pm
Frustrated wanderer

donfos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alan dell
Hi all

Hi for what its worth I landed in Calgary in August. I stayed for two days and then returned to Saudi where I am working at the moment. I had my PR card sent to my immigration lawyer in Calgary, but I dont think that it is essential that they be sent to a Canadian address (not sure though). In my case I work for a Canadian company overseas so the 2/5 years story is frozen. In your case however I believe the clock starts running from when you land.

Don
Old Dec 19th 2004, 8:04 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by donfos
Hi for what its worth I landed in Calgary in August. I stayed for two days and then returned to Saudi where I am working at the moment. I had my PR card sent to my immigration lawyer in Calgary, but I dont think that it is essential that they be sent to a Canadian address (not sure though). In my case I work for a Canadian company overseas so the 2/5 years story is frozen. In your case however I believe the clock starts running from when you land.

Don
Hi Don,

I read somewhere that you have to fulfill certain requirements when working for a canadian company overseas, ( temporary expat contract with return guarantee to Canada,...) Did you have your lawyer sort out your employment contract to meet those criteria? Also, did you get this preapprouved by CIC or do you only know if it will be accepted after the fact?
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:48 am
Frustrated wanderer

Originally Posted by mhhp
Hi Don,

I read somewhere that you have to fulfill certain requirements when working for a canadian company overseas, ( temporary expat contract with return guarantee to Canada,...) Did you have your lawyer sort out your employment contract to meet those criteria? Also, did you get this preapprouved by CIC or do you only know if it will be accepted after the fact?

Hi,

I am not aware of the particular requirements that you are talking about. I am a staff employee of a Canadian company (I worked for them for 2 and 1/2 years in Calgary on work authorisation before I came here to Saudi). I have a two year foreign assignment contract and expect to return to Calgary on or before the two years are up (preferably sooner!). The only difference being that when I return I will no longer require my work authorisation because I have landed and obtained my PR in the meantime. The contract I have is their standard foreign assignment contract, certainly not one geared up for a new immigrant. I did ask my lawyer about this and he seemed to think there were no problems. This is situation is also described in the CIC website (see below)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html
Permanent Residency Obligations

Here is what you must do to comply with your residency obligations.
You must accumulate two years of physical presence in Canada in every
five-year period. You can also count Canadian residency days if you
are outside Canada for an extended period of time for one of the
following reasons:

You are employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business, the
Public Service of Canada or the public service of a Canadian province.

If there is something you know that I dont I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Don
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:59 am
keep checking....

Hi,

I am not aware of the particular requirements that you are talking about. I am a staff employee of a Canadian company (I worked for them for 2 and 1/2 years in Calgary on work authorisation before I came here to Saudi). I have a two year foreign assignment contract and expect to return to Calgary on or before the two years are up (preferably sooner!). The only difference being that when I return I will no longer require my work authorisation because I have landed and obtained my PR in the meantime. The contract I have is their standard foreign assignment contract, certainly not one geared up for a new immigrant. I did ask my lawyer about this and he seemed to think there were no problems. This is situation is also described in the CIC website (see below)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html
Permanent Residency Obligations

Here is what you must do to comply with your residency obligations.
You must accumulate two years of physical presence in Canada in every
five-year period. You can also count Canadian residency days if you
are outside Canada for an extended period of time for one of the
following reasons:

You are employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business, the
Public Service of Canada or the public service of a Canadian province.

If there is something you know that I dont I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Don
Hi Don,

I am not an expert on this, but I remember reading a discussion thread a couple months ago on which expat contracts qualfy for PR time and which ones do not. Andrew and PMM were so kind to elaborate on that. Let me see if I can find the thread and I will post the link here.

Last edited by mhhp; Dec 20th 2004 at 1:06 am.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:04 am
keep checking....

Found it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253675

Hope this helps
Old Dec 21st 2004, 8:33 pm
Frustrated wanderer

Originally Posted by mhhp

Thanks for the info, based on what I see, I think I will be OK. I dont imagine I will be spending too much more time in this part of the world anyway. It seems that there are a number of us that found Canada while drifting around the world. At last count Canada was the seventh country I have lived and worked in in the engineering business. I definately intend to make Canada the place where I finaly put down my roots.

Thanks again for the info, and good luck.

Don
Old Dec 21st 2004, 9:56 pm
keep checking....

Thanks for the info, based on what I see, I think I will be OK. I dont imagine I will be spending too much more time in this part of the world anyway. It seems that there are a number of us that found Canada while drifting around the world. At last count Canada was the seventh country I have lived and worked in in the engineering business. I definately intend to make Canada the place where I finaly put down my roots.

Thanks again for the info, and good luck.

Don
Same for me, Canada was country no. 5 out of 6 so far, but the place I felt most at home.