Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In a panic re SW app - expert advice please

In a panic re SW app - expert advice please

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default In a panic re SW app - expert advice please

I am hearing different things from different people and so could anyone give me a definitive answer please.

Applied SW route May 07 with 4 children ages 6, 12, 18 and 19.
Hoping to get there sooner by finding employment and move out summer 08

1. Do I go WP or PNP route? My consultant says that we cannot go PNP as we have already submitted our application (I know that my consultant should be the fount of all knowledge, but I have reason to question his knowledge as he has not always been right so far)

2. Are my older children included on our application as they still live at home? One is working full time (and was when we applied) and one is taking a year out and doing some casual work (but was in full time education when we applied). I was told that under 22 years they were included but I am beginning to doubt this too. I called my consultant but did not get a definitive answer.

3. If my older children are not included, what is the best way for facilitate them going with us?

I had understood from this forum that PR via WP or PNP was taking 6-10 months, my consultant says 18 months to 2 years. Who is closest please?

I would be really grateful for any advice, the issue about my children is especially concerning me.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:24 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In a panic re SW app - expert advice please

[QUOTE=destinationnovascotia]

1. Do I go WP or PNP route? My consultant says that we cannot go PNP as we have already submitted our application (I know that my consultant should be the fount of all knowledge, but I have reason to question his knowledge as he has not always been right so far)
Sorry, I do not know if you can apply for PNP once you've already lodged a PR application under the SW category.

2. Are my older children included on our application as they still live at home? One is working full time (and was when we applied) and one is taking a year out and doing some casual work (but was in full time education when we applied). I was told that under 22 years they were included but I am beginning to doubt this too. I called my consultant but did not get a definitive answer.
As you can see from this page of the CIC website, children who are single and under the age of 22 can accompany you to Canada. The page to which I have referred you is in the work permit section of the CIC website. However, I'm sure that the same criteria apply to PR applications.

3. If my older children are not included, what is the best way for facilitate them going with us?
That is not relevant, because they are included in your existing PR application, and they could be included if you now submitted a WP application.

I had understood from this forum that PR via WP or PNP was taking 6-10 months, my consultant says 18 months to 2 years. Who is closest please?
Sorry, I don't know that either. Like you, I have based my perception on what I've read on this forum.

I would be really grateful for any advice, the issue about my children is especially concerning me.
One thing I should warn you about is that, while your children are allowed to accompany you if you move to Canada on a work permit, children of work permit holders are not automatically allowed to work in Canada.

In contrast, accompanying children of permanent residents also become permanent residents, and are eligible to work in Canada right off the bat.

That is one of the advantages of PNP. It leads to a PR visa, and in that sense is different from a WP.

If accompanying children of WP holders want to work in Canada, they have to apply for WPs in their own right. They are allowed to apply from inside Canada, but their prospective employers have to get positive LMOs from HRSDC. The point is, though, which young person has enough experience in his or her field that HRSDC is going to believe that the employer couldn't attract an equally qualified local resident to do the job?

The fact that accompanying children of WP holders do not have an automatic right to work in Canada is very problematic. The fact that mandi moo's 16-year-old son wasn't able to work in Calgary was one of the major factors in her family's decision to move back to the UK now, after having landed here in April 2007.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:57 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I am hearing different things from different people and so could anyone give me a definitive answer please.

Applied SW route May 07 with 4 children ages 6, 12, 18 and 19.
Hoping to get there sooner by finding employment and move out summer 08

Not sure about the whole children thing - mine were a lot younger so there was no question about them being included.

I heard somebody else posting on here that because they had already applied through SW it precluded them from putting in a PNP application. I'm not sure what the final analysis was there but I would contact the NS Immigration office (who deal with NS PNP) and check with them to make sure. That could be misinformation.

If you can do it i would definitely say PNP is the best thing to do first. Once you get the provincial nomination (stage 1 before putting in your federal application) you can then apply for a work permit too and you don't need the HRDC confirmation (which is the slowest part of the WP app process) so in other words as a nominee you can get a work permit in about a month. Plus, as Judy says, you end up with PR at the end of it.

If you start off putting in for a WP then you will still need to get HRDC confirmation for that too (same as with Federal Skilled worker app with job offer).

With my NS PNP the first bit (nomination) took about 2 months and the federal part took about 5 months. If you look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ial.asp#europe it shows half of cases for PNPs get finalised in 7 months but I don't know how long the nomination part is taking now. I wouldn't have thought it has increased that much.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:11 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

looks to be some discussion on the subject of putting in PNP apps alongside an existing SW app here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383495

I'm sure there will be other threads/cases too
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:50 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We applied under SW back in Aug 05. Came here on WP in Jan 07.

I had an spousal Open WP and the kids had Study Permits. I am not allowed to work in a hospital or school environment on my open WP and my kids are not allowed to work on a Study Permit.

About one week after we landed we received a letter from the CHC requesting up-to-date paperwork and police checks. Then a couple of months later we got our medical requests (which took quite a few weeks for us to get appointments). Finally we had our passport requests so are only weeks away from PR.

Our medicals slowed us up, but its taken about 7 months from when we landed to awaiting return of our passports. Not so long really. My timeline in my profile goes into detail
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

That is one of the advantages of PNP. It leads to a PR visa, and in that sense is different from a WP.
Thanks for all the advice, my daughter in particular is very relieved.

Can I just query the above. Am I incorrect in thinking that if I go on a work permit with my family my SW application will be fast-tracked and so we will get our PR quite quickly anyway, or does this only apply if you go on PNP?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NSpaul
looks to be some discussion on the subject of putting in PNP apps alongside an existing SW app here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383495

I'm sure there will be other threads/cases too
Thanks for the advice, and the link. I am coming over to NS in October to take my nursing exam and I hope to arrange to see potential employers whilst I am there. We don't want to move out until July/August 2008 as we don't want to interrupt the childrens' school year. Going by you timescale we should have plenty of time to do it if I get a job
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
We applied under SW back in Aug 05. Came here on WP in Jan 07.

I had an spousal Open WP and the kids had Study Permits. I am not allowed to work in a hospital or school environment on my open WP and my kids are not allowed to work on a Study Permit.

About one week after we landed we received a letter from the CHC requesting up-to-date paperwork and police checks. Then a couple of months later we got our medical requests (which took quite a few weeks for us to get appointments). Finally we had our passport requests so are only weeks away from PR.

Our medicals slowed us up, but its taken about 7 months from when we landed to awaiting return of our passports. Not so long really. My timeline in my profile goes into detail
Thanks, your timeline is quite reassuring
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:00 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice, my daughter in particular is very relieved.

Can I just query the above. Am I incorrect in thinking that if I go on a work permit with my family my SW application will be fast-tracked and so we will get our PR quite quickly anyway, or does this only apply if you go on PNP?
I applied for PR (skilled worker) in June '05. Moved to BC in Aug '05 and have been working here on a 3yr WP.

My PR application isn't fast tracked, I'm expecting it to take at least another 12mths. AFAIK, fast-tracking only occurs with PNP nomination.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:06 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
AFAIK, fast-tracking only occurs with PNP nomination.
If you're in Canada on a WP and get an AEO (arranged employment opinion) from HRSDC, your PR application is fast tracked.

From what I can gather from having read other threads on the topic, CIC does not have an official policy of fast tracking PR applications that are backed up by AEO. However, anecdotal reports suggest that, in reality, that's what CIC does.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

So Judy, realistically, it doesn't matter if we come over via PNP or WP, our PR will probably take the same length of time??
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:11 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you're in Canada on a WP and get an AEO (arranged employment opinion) from HRSDC, your PR application is fast tracked.
Unless you're self-employed, which apparently isn't counted as AEO.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:14 am
Now on Vancouver Island

So Judy, realistically, it doesn't matter if we come over via PNP or WP, our PR will probably take the same length of time??
I don't know. But what I can say is that other forum members who have submitted PR applications backed up by AEO while they've been working in Canada on WPs have reported that their PR visas have taken about a year to come through.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Still sounds like PNP is the best way. Why-o-why didn't my consultant who has charged me about £1million (well maybe not quite that much) didn't explain this to me. If ony I had found this website before I hired him.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:41 am
Immigration Consultant

Still sounds like PNP is the best way. Why-o-why didn't my consultant who has charged me about £1million (well maybe not quite that much) didn't explain this to me. If ony I had found this website before I hired him.
I would think it would be though I have heard PNP and SW apps with arranged employment are meant to take similar timescales but don't know if that is true having only done one route myslef.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.