Owner Operator LMIA

Old Aug 27th 2022, 12:21 am
Just Joined

jimmybarrymurphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Owner Operator LMIA

Hello,

My wife is a piano tutor who has had her own tuition business in the UK since 2010. Following a call to an immigration lawyer in Canada, I was advised that the Owner Operator LMIA route would have a high chance of success (with a shorter time than other routes that my wife and I have been looking at).

Does anyone have experience/knowledge about this route?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27th 2022, 6:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owner Operator LMIA

Originally Posted by jimmybarrymurphy
Hello,

My wife is a piano tutor who has had her own tuition business in the UK since 2010. Following a call to an immigration lawyer in Canada, I was advised that the Owner Operator LMIA route would have a high chance of success (with a shorter time than other routes that my wife and I have been looking at).

Does anyone have experience/knowledge about this route?

Thanks!
The whole process was tightened up considerably in April 2021, and tbh I'm not sure how they lawyer can advise a 'high chance of success' for a one man (woman!) band who presumably does't plan to hire Canadians? To get owner operator LMIA she'd need a 'proper' Canadian business (not just self employed) and usually need to prove she'll hire Canadians as part of her business plan etc. I've never heard of one being approved without potential Canadian employees. Search for posts by 'RICH', he's a forum regular that has done it and often posted about it, here's a relevant post with links in it to some of his info/advice - LMIA exempt and Owner Operator

Is the main aim just to get out there quickly? Or to move permanently?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 27th 2022 at 7:00 am.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

jimmybarrymurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi christmasoompa,

The immigration lawyer suggested that she hires a Canadian to source business for her (i.e. find piano students in person and online for her). He said that would be a crucial thing that she would have to do, so he is completely aligned with your comment.

The immigration firm is www.myvisasource.com - they have good reviews and they have won numerous awards. He asked for a fair bit of detail about her piano tuition business here in the UK - once he had that info (and subject to her hiring a Canadian to source business for her) he said that she would have a very high chance of success based on previous similar cases.

Does this sound reasonable to you, or do you think I need to be interrogating the lawyer more?

Thanks!

Last edited by jimmybarrymurphy; Aug 27th 2022 at 11:14 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 8:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmybarrymurphy
Hi christmasoompa,

The immigration lawyer suggested that she hires a Canadian to source business for her (i.e. find piano students in person and online for her). He said that would be a crucial thing that she would have to do, so he is completely aligned with your comment.

The immigration firm is www.myvisasource.com - they have good reviews and they have won numerous awards. He asked for a fair bit of detail about her piano tuition business here in the UK - once he had that info (and subject to her hiring a Canadian to source business for her) he said that she would have a very high chance of success based on previous similar cases.

Does this sound reasonable to you, or do you think I need to be interrogating the lawyer more?

Thanks!
I think they're simplifying it, I haven't heard of the company but just do your due diligence (make sure they have FB and Google reviews and not just what they have on their website, alarm bells should ring if they don't have a Google listing or reviews turned on on their FB page!).

And would your wife normally need somebody to source business for her? Might look a bit odd if not, i.e. if it's just her as a sole trader in the UK but then she suddenly wants to start hiring Canadians once you move. Will she hire anybody else and will she have premises?

You can certainly try applying, worst thing that could happen is that it's refused, but personally I'd have got a self employed app in by now as well, both as back up, and as a route to PR underway.