British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Overwhelmed Newbie! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/overwhelmed-newbie-937812/)

VivM Mar 25th 2021 10:53 pm

Overwhelmed Newbie!

Hi everyone. I am so eager to find a way into Canada, but at the moment, even a few days visit is impossible and anything more permanent seems to be more difficult than climbing K2 in a blizzard in shorts!
Anyway, I'm here to read, and learn and try whatever I can to be able to relocate to Alberta ideally....or B.C. .....here's a bit of background.....
I'm 59 (no idea how that happened!), widowed 4 years ago, a semi retired Registered Nurse with my 2 sons, both PRs in Calgary. I've over 35 years experience in both clinical and managerial roles in the NHS. The process to register my nursing qualification in any Province seems to take years, and whilst I may have up to 10 years working potential left in me, half of that could be taken just waiting for the whole process to complete!
So it looks like the emerging plan is full retirement, apply for a parent/grandparent supervisa whilst trying for PGP sponsorship. Maybe it'll be easier to work on provincial nurse re registration from within the Province.... but the important thing is being with my boys!

Any tips, hints, suggestions, stories to be told will be very welcome!!
Fingers crossed we can all be where we need to be as soon as possible!

PMM Mar 26th 2021 2:30 am

Re: Overwhelmed Newbie!

Hi

Originally Posted by VivM (Post 12987809)
Hi everyone. I am so eager to find a way into Canada, but at the moment, even a few days visit is impossible and anything more permanent seems to be more difficult than climbing K2 in a blizzard in shorts!
Anyway, I'm here to read, and learn and try whatever I can to be able to relocate to Alberta ideally....or B.C. .....here's a bit of background.....
I'm 59 (no idea how that happened!), widowed 4 years ago, a semi retired Registered Nurse with my 2 sons, both PRs in Calgary. I've over 35 years experience in both clinical and managerial roles in the NHS. The process to register my nursing qualification in any Province seems to take years, and whilst I may have up to 10 years working potential left in me, half of that could be taken just waiting for the whole process to complete!
So it looks like the emerging plan is full retirement, apply for a parent/grandparent supervisa whilst trying for PGP sponsorship. Maybe it'll be easier to work on provincial nurse re registration from within the Province.... but the important thing is being with my boys!

Any tips, hints, suggestions, stories to be told will be very welcome!!
Fingers crossed we can all be where we need to be as soon as possible!

1. With your age there is only 2 practical ways to come to Canada.
2. A super visa, allows you to visit for 2 years. Note that you can't work.
3. Your sons would have to enter the lottery for a PGP visa when/if it reopens this year. The Minister says that there will be 30K applications accepted.

VivM Mar 26th 2021 9:27 am

Thanks PMM.... thats exactly my frustration.... age!!!!
Youngest son, who has been there the longest, and can apply for citizenship soon, applied for the PGP sponsorship last year, but wasn't drawn in the lottery, so yes, a reapplication is planned for this year and hopefully improved odds but no guarantees. Hence the Supervisa application. Which I started last night.
its just so frustrating as I have many transferable skills, experience, funds to invest and will be able to be a contributor to the Canadian economy in the longer term.
I know I won't be able to work on a supervisa, but maybe could look for work with a possibility of a job offer, LMIA and possible provincial nomination and subsequent work permit....possible PR that route....

Just a quick question.... can you work if you get PGP sponsorship? Does that give PR status and can you then apply for full citizenship with PGP? Soz that was two questions!!

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2021 10:31 am

Originally Posted by VivM (Post 12987927)
Youngest son, who has been there the longest, and can apply for citizenship soon, applied for the PGP sponsorship last year, but wasn't drawn in the lottery

Quick question, how long has he been in Canada? Has he lived/worked there long enough to qualify to sponsor you?

Originally Posted by VivM (Post 12987927)
Just a quick question.... can you work if you get PGP sponsorship? Does that give PR status and can you then apply for full citizenship with PGP? Soz that was two questions!!

Yep, you'd get PR, and then be able to apply for citizenship down the line.

HTH, best of luck.

VivM Mar 26th 2021 11:01 am

Hi Christmasoompa, (love the name btw), and thank you for confirming the PR status.
My youngest (30) been there over 4 years, if there was any doubt last year it was about his first years income, but all sorted for definite this year. My rationale behind applying now for the supervisa is that if we're not successful this year, or next, or the one after for PGP... (at some point we will be, I'm sure), but the supervisa gives me some easing in over there and gives me time to tidy up a very chaotic life here. Also though, with the motivation that I can spend some significant time over in Canada preparing for a successful PGP result! (Parent at the moment but hopeful the grandparent title will be required in the not too distant future). If not, I will be their doggy daycare!!
its all very exciting, but good it's a year to process as I have SO much to rationalise here!

Loving this forum already!! So helpful, thank you!!

Ooo, yes, another question... any recommendations for organising the medical insurance with a Canadian company as requested on visa application?

Siouxie Mar 26th 2021 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by VivM (Post 12987954)
Hi Christmasoompa, (love the name btw), and thank you for confirming the PR status.
My youngest (30) been there over 4 years, if there was any doubt last year it was about his first years income, but all sorted for definite this year. My rationale behind applying now for the supervisa is that if we're not successful this year, or next, or the one after for PGP... (at some point we will be, I'm sure), but the supervisa gives me some easing in over there and gives me time to tidy up a very chaotic life here. Also though, with the motivation that I can spend some significant time over in Canada preparing for a successful PGP result! (Parent at the moment but hopeful the grandparent title will be required in the not too distant future). If not, I will be their doggy daycare!!
its all very exciting, but good it's a year to process as I have SO much to rationalise here!

Loving this forum already!! So helpful, thank you!!

Ooo, yes, another question... any recommendations for organising the medical insurance with a Canadian company as requested on visa application?

Would both of your sons qualify to sponsor you for PGP PR? If so, perhaps both should enter the pool, to double their (and your) chances of a successful invitation to apply.

As to the long term possibility of working in nursing, it's a long convoluted process (it can take years) to become registered and certified to work as a nurse in whichever Province you are moving to (it's Provincially Regulated).. for Alberta: https://nurses.ab.ca/become-a-nurse/...ted-applicants

As to medical cover - our wiki has some links; for the Supervisa you will need a Canadian provider.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada
:)

Fingers crossed for you! :fingerscrossed:

VivM Mar 26th 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks Siouxie
Going forward, the convoluted process for nurse registration is frustrating and at 59 approaching 60, something I have to probably say is not worth the time, money, effort or stress!! Unfortunately for Canada, they're limiting their recruitment of experienced nurses at a time when registered nurses top the list of sought after professions. Its a shame, as I would have enjoyed contributing, and ultimately is Canada loss. Sad.

I was under the impression that duplicate applications for PGP just get whittled out so even if Simon the older could sponsor (hasn't been there long enough to), it would just be excluded. So it rests on the younger Andrew to get his mam sorted!

I'll check out the insurance suggestions thanks. I'm SO energised and for all I have a huge pile of stuff to sort...the future is certainly feeling more positive than in years!! Manulife initially seems a potential company, but I will certainly investigate your link. Thanks again!

On the latest list of travel exemptions from Canadian government site, close relatives of citizens and PRs are exempt, however it doesn't feel as clear on the UK side and I think I'd still be liable for this £5k fine. Tough times but still no global consensus as to how international communities interact on a basic humanitarian level. All I want is to see my bairns!

My saying of the week is "just get me on the first stagecoach (plane... its 2021!) outta Dodge"

..... meanwhile, research continues....

jigneshpadia May 26th 2021 3:50 pm

I am in a similar situation. Came to canada on visitor visa. Can I apply for Supervisa while in Canada. All the online information says I can't but when I am completing the form through the portal it is letting me procees all the way to paying the fees. Can anyone clarify what's the real deal?

Former Lancastrian May 26th 2021 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jigneshpadia (Post 13010787)
I am in a similar situation. Came to canada on visitor visa. Can I apply for Supervisa while in Canada. All the online information says I can't but when I am completing the form through the portal it is letting me procees all the way to paying the fees. Can anyone clarify what's the real deal?

No you cant however you can apply to extend your stay if already in Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tend-stay.html

jigneshpadia May 26th 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks that's helpful. Its bit confusing for me. Sorry if I am not getting it. When I fill up the form it has an option for staying more than 6 month and supervisa. If I can't apply why is that option allowed? Also I don't have any stamp on my passport so not sure what's my end date of current stay. Any further suggestions.

Former Lancastrian May 26th 2021 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by jigneshpadia (Post 13010825)
Thanks that's helpful. Its bit confusing for me. Sorry if I am not getting it. When I fill up the form it has an option for staying more than 6 month and supervisa. If I can't apply why is that option allowed? Also I don't have any stamp on my passport so not sure what's my end date of current stay. Any further suggestions.

That is something IRCC would have to answer as it clearly states on the eligibility for the super visa that you must be OUTSIDE Canada to apply. With no stamp it is 6 months from date of entry. I seriously suggest you apply to extend your visitor status as provided in the link.

jigneshpadia May 26th 2021 7:08 pm

Processing time is 199 days, does it mean that if I wanted to stay beyond six month, I should apply today it self as my allowed stay is 180 days.