Overwhelmed :(

Old May 6th 2019, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Langley0909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Overwhelmed :(

Hi all,

Posted a few weeks ago reference help for a spousal visa but even though people have been kind in their replies everything is just so overwhelming. Has anyone used a company to do it on their behalf? I know to some i may think its stupid because its not that difficult and i should just do it myself but i just seem to have a mental block and its really getting me down. I just want to get on with it but I'm going backwards not forwards

Thanks
Old May 6th 2019, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed :(

It's not stupid at all. Most people don't use a consultant, but for some it does make sense to use one, and if you're struggling with the paperwork then it may be worth spending the money. It'll be a few thousand though, so before you go down that route, are you sure the good folks of BE can't help for free? Any specific questions you've got you will probably find have been covered in the amazing Spousal Sponsorship Wiki article (https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms), and people are more than happy to help if they can so do feel free to ask on the forums.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old May 7th 2019, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Lucyjane is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel, it took us almost 6 weeks from marriage to sending off paperwork and I had a few meltdowns.
Now it’s all sent off I have anxiety I did something wrong that may delay the process. No idea why as ours is pretty straight forward - Canadian, British, married, no police convictions, no children, no previous relationships/marriage

The forms are fairly straight forward (if it’s for PR) I felt a lot of them just asked for the same info (name, partners name passport number)
The checklist is very good, I printed off two and made notes on them.

personally I kinda wish we had paid someone to do it for us. Yes it’s more expensive option but for the cost of a mini break to take away this horrible gut feeling I’m having is worth it.

Good luck xx
Old May 7th 2019, 12:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you find the paperwork daunting, I would recommend starting with one page/ form and only doing a few questions/ requirements a day, then when that is done move on to the next page/ form/ requirement list, because if you set out to do the whole thing in one sitting it will certainly look a bit scary.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 7th 2019 at 1:16 am.
Old May 7th 2019, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

That’s good advice above - I find it works with all sorts of seemingly complicated tasks. I procrastinate but when I have to knuckle down and do it, it’s never as bad as I dreaded eg tax forms 😳
One bit of advice that someone gave us - when you finally do have everything together, check it from the back forwards - looking at it differently sometimes highlights a gap or error.
Old May 7th 2019, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Even though you pay a consultant many thousands of £s, YOU still have to collect all the information and get it together.

They do not do that for you.So you pay them, but you still do the work
Old May 7th 2019, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Even though you pay a consultant many thousands of £s, YOU still have to collect all the information and get it together.
AND you have to review what they prepared, as it is YOUR signature that is attesting to it being correct.
Old May 7th 2019, 5:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As said above, you will have to supply all the information, the declarations, the certificates, the medical, the police check... all they are going to do is put the information you give them onto the forms! For that you will pay several thousand dollars.

An alternative perhaps is to follow the great advice you were given above about filling out just one page at a time.. and then have the application checked by someone...there are companies that will check it for completeness for a small fee.. if you are really concerned.

Spousal sponsorship is the probably the easiest of all the applications to do for Permanent Residency - so follow the guide and the help files in the wiki - our wiki article will walk you through each question - then at least you know what information you'll need to supply, whether directly to Citizenship Canada or an Immigration consultant (and be very careful, make sure they are approved and licensed)

It can also slow your process down in using one - Immigration Canada contact them instead of you - and you have to wait on them to get to you to tell you what Canada Immigration want - then give them the information to pass onto Canada Immigration - and if they miss the deadline, you are screwed!

Shout if you need help! We're here for free.. - don't despair and please don't waste your hard earned money on paying someone to fill out the forms for you - save it for the celebration!

What part of it are you finding overwhelming... perhaps breaking it down into sections will make it easier for you.. do the simple stuff first

You'll be fine!

Last edited by Siouxie; May 8th 2019 at 3:37 pm.
Old May 8th 2019, 12:57 am
Just Joined

MinsterMan83 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I took a different approach when she sponsored me. We filled in the forms ourselves and paid $100 for a lawyer to check it.

She gave us a heads up on a form that was about to be replaced/updated. If we had sent it in as it was, it would have been rejected.
Old May 8th 2019, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MinsterMan83
My wife and I took a different approach when she sponsored me. We filled in the forms ourselves and paid $100 for a lawyer to check it.

She gave us a heads up on a form that was about to be replaced/updated. If we had sent it in as it was, it would have been rejected.
$100 is very cheap, it's usually about $500 for a form checking service.

But definitely a good idea if possible - these days with most applications being online, it's not usually an option.