British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Over 40- has anyone immigrated this late? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/over-40-has-anyone-immigrated-late-906317/)

GraceOmalley Nov 28th 2017 4:16 am

Over 40- has anyone immigrated this late?

Hi,

First time poster-
I was wondering if the possibilities of two teachers/administrators in their 40s would be eligible to apply?
Both Irish citizens, 42,44 - no dependents and no relations/ties in Canada.
Also willing to change careers...just not sure what to!
Has anyone any experience or advice?

Thank you-

christmasoompa Nov 28th 2017 7:26 am

Re: Over 40- has anyone immigrated this late?

Hi, welcome to BE.

Unfortunately, you've got two things against you - your age which will potentially limit your visa options, and your professions. I assume you know that teaching isn't an occupation that you're likely to both be able to continue easily in Canada? For more info, see this Wiki article - Teaching in Canada : British Expat Wiki

Whether or not you'd be eligible to apply will depend on lots of things including your education level and language abilities. Start with the eligibility test on the CIC website and let us know if it suggests a visa route for you - Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

We can then try and help you figure out the next step.

HTH.

cheeky_monkey Nov 28th 2017 8:00 pm

i was 38 when i landed originally but 40 when i moved here full time..i had no problems at all..i didn't change careers just carried on doing what i did in the UK... for me though my occupation is/was in relatively high demand.

GraceOmalley Nov 29th 2017 3:02 am

Thanks for your replies. Seems teaching is not in demand. I’ll try the calculator and see if anything pops up to inspire us. Ideally we’d like to move there permanently.

scilly Nov 29th 2017 3:16 am

You might want to check the situation in BC ...............

the Supreme Court of Canada ruled late last year that the previous provincial government had been wrong to unilaterally change the terms of the contract back in about 2003/2003 with regard to class size and special education teachers.

The Ministry and school districts have since been scrambling to fill all the vacancies for form teachers, subject teachers and special ed teachers (including librarians, music, etc), at both primary and secondary levels.

It might be worth your while to contact the BC Ministry of Education and the BC Teachers Federation to see what the situation is.

BC Teachers Federation ...... https://bctf.ca/

christmasoompa Nov 29th 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 12390595)
i was 38 when i landed originally but 40 when i moved here full time..i had no problems at all..i didn't change careers just carried on doing what i did in the UK... for me though my occupation is/was in relatively high demand.

And you applied under the old system, when you simply needed 67 points as a FSW.......unfortunately very different now for the OP with the CRS points system as well. Not sure what the OP is scoring as a FSW and then the CRS, but their age may well have a negative impact on both scores.

crg2704 Nov 29th 2017 11:20 am

My wife and myself are 47 and 49 and have recently had our COPR's,actually my wife as the principle applicant landed on the 27th November
We didn't get any points for our ages but we did have points for Canadian experience which was quite a bit and extra points for family in Canada.
We had 435 points and had an ITA back in March, so there are ways to get there but it did take a long time for us and with the advice of the great people on here we got there 🎉🎉🎉🛫🛫🇨🇦🇨🇦
Best of luck

Turtle Nov 29th 2017 5:49 pm

I know nothing about teaching but my wife & I did immigrate here in our early 40's without jobs ready to come to. We were both professionals and while I found work in IT project management relatively easily, my wife (FCIPD and very highly experienced in HR) was never able to find a comparative job in her field. As soon as the recruiters heard she didn't have that mythical Canadian experience, they didn't want to know. That was nearly 15 years ago, so I don't know how much things have changed since then. Although it all worked out for us in the end, it was much more of a risk than we had anticipated and not something I would willingly go through again.

JasonTFord Nov 30th 2017 2:59 pm

Hi,
I came over at the age of 42 as a mature student, having spent 20 years in the insurance industry in the UK. I am now a college instructor teaching insurance and risk management. I guess I was in the right place at the right time, because obtaining any kind of full time permanent teaching/instructing job here in New Brunswick is difficult, even for qualified teachers.

benlast Dec 2nd 2017 6:11 pm

I immigrated in 2013, at the age of 48. Came in as a temporary worker with a job offer, immediately applied for PR under the BC Provincial Nomination Program, and have just sent off my citizenship application. As others have said, at this age you get no bonus points, but it helped that I'm in an in-demand occupation, and that I had a job offer.

Twitcher1958 Dec 2nd 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by benlast (Post 12393021)
I immigrated in 2013, at the age of 48. Came in as a temporary worker with a job offer, immediately applied for PR under the BC Provincial Nomination Program, and have just sent off my citizenship application. As others have said, at this age you get no bonus points, but it helped that I'm in an in-demand occupation, and that I had a job offer.

Similar for us in 2010 but we were 52 - became citizens 2 years ago.

DandNHill Dec 3rd 2017 12:09 am

Hubby and I were 44 and 47 when we emigrated.
We came with PNP so we didn’t count points.
I think it was a good to time to move over.
We’ve eligible for citizenship for ages but hubby has decided he wanted to wait until he doesn’t need to write the test. Lol

GraceOmalley Dec 4th 2017 2:52 am

Thank you for all the positive replies. It’s definitely not something that’s going to be easy from reading the various experiences.
Lots more research to do that’s for sure, although we’ve also got to be conscious of the time ticking by..
Might need to take the atlas out again!