Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Outland vs. Inland. Under pressure

Outland vs. Inland. Under pressure

Old Jan 29th 2016, 7:10 am
Just Joined

sammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond repute
Default Outland vs. Inland. Under pressure

Hello All,

I am currently struggling with the decision of going for either inland spousal sponsorship or outland. I know the general pros and cons of both that on an inland spousal I am able to work throughout the process & on and open permit not confined to one job. Though I know it takes 2-3 years. I was however wondering why so many people i've spoken to or read via threads on here and other site advise Outland so much? I understand the fact it can be quicker but how much quicker is it 'likely' to be? I get that nothing is certain and I could have stumbled across isolated cases, but I was wondering if anyone could help out on here. I am unfortunately in need of money however maybe be able to support myself through 3-4 months if these stories i keep hearing about outland are true. Any help/ advice would be great.
Thankyou
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outland vs. Inland. Under pressure

Originally Posted by sammatthews
Hello All,

I am currently struggling with the decision of going for either inland spousal sponsorship or outland. I know the general pros and cons of both that on an inland spousal I am able to work throughout the process & on and open permit not confined to one job. Though I know it takes 2-3 years. I was however wondering why so many people i've spoken to or read via threads on here and other site advise Outland so much? I understand the fact it can be quicker but how much quicker is it 'likely' to be? I get that nothing is certain and I could have stumbled across isolated cases, but I was wondering if anyone could help out on here. I am unfortunately in need of money however maybe be able to support myself through 3-4 months if these stories i keep hearing about outland are true. Any help/ advice would be great.
Thankyou
Where are you now, in Canada? Remember that most on the forum are in the UK, and apply before moving to Canada, so an outland makes much more sense for most of them (approx 10 months processing time versus years). They'd just rather have the certainly of PR after approx 8-10 months, versus a work permit after 4-5 months, but if you need to work soon after applying, then inland is probably your only option. There are other 'cons' with inland though, such as not being able to appeal it if you get refused.

You're not by any chance aged 30 or under?
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

sammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond reputesammatthews has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much for your response. Ah I had read that about the inland and no appeal situation, but thought it must be unlikely to happen? I am currently in Canada yes and already working. I have been here for a year now, and I am electrician under 30. Though haven't gone down the electrical route as it is apparently difficult within the lower mainland.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

So if I get denied via inland..does that stop me appealing and applying another way either now or in the future? Also I am in the pool for the iec work visa but obviously have no guarantee of getting one.
Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you married or common law?
As you are already here and working with a valid work permit you can still do an Outland application which is quicker. You could be required to go back to the UK for an interview but not a normal request.
Obviously if you got accepted for the IEC and eligible that gives you another 2 year work permit. If it was me I would do the Outland.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Are you married or common law?
As you are already here and working with a valid work permit you can still do an Outland application which is quicker. You could be required to go back to the UK for an interview but not a normal request.
Obviously if you got accepted for the IEC and eligible that gives you another 2 year work permit. If it was me I would do the Outland.
I am not married but in a common law yes. I am already here and working yes but my work permit expires at the end of feb. I've left it late as i was expecting to gor throuh my employer which all fell through. Obviously i need some income to support myself as even though more and more people are saying its going to be a few months, it could still be a year right? I was also wondering whether i could work onlibe for a uk based company doing sales or something from here? But obviously get paid into a uk account and work for uk company...is this legal?
Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can work online providing you have no Canadian clients paying you in Canada. As there is no guarantee that you will be accepted for the IEC and as your TWP expires next month Im guessing the need to work is greater than the amount of time it takes to become a PR. If this is the case then Inland would work better providing you meet the eligibility for the OWP as an Inland applicant.

You are in Canada and are applying or have already applied for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class.
Who can apply for an open work permit?

As long as you stay out of trouble even if doing an Inland application and you meet the common law eligibility and criteria CIC/CBSA won't be asking you to leave as long as you remain in legal status and your application is being processed.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The other downside to applying 'Inland' is that it's recommended that you don't leave the country during processing - so you should also factor that into your decision - are you ok with potentially not being able to go back to the UK for 2-3 years?

IEC and Outland would be the perfect combination, but failing that if you need to work then yes, Inland would be your best bet.

Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The other downside to applying 'Inland' is that it's recommended that you don't leave the country during processing - so you should also factor that into your decision - are you ok with potentially not being able to go back to the UK for 2-3 years?

IEC and Outland would be the perfect combination, but failing that if you need to work then yes, Inland would be your best bet.

Yes this is my main dilemma as obviously i have family back in the Uk. Since the discovery that my employment sponsor wouldn't be of much use in the lower mainland I was kind of hoping for this IEC+outland spousal to come through ...however I would say it is now the time that I need to make a decision seeing as I have had no word from the IEC yet.
I have been looking at the possibilities of bridging visas via different routes also but had no luck.