Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Outland Spousal application questions

Outland Spousal application questions

Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

cberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Outland Spousal application questions

Hi all, the more forms I attempt, the more questions they generate... This site has been a lifesaver so far. Nearly done with the (first draft, of many!) of the application.

Situation: UK/US citizen living in London with Canadian wife and daughter. Looking to apply for outland Spousal sponsorship as soon as I get my FBI check returned (there has been IT delays on this).

I’ve come across the following questions so far:

1. I understand that both I and my wife will need to create short relationship essays explaining how our relationships developed. However, I’m wondering if it is worthwhile also including a short covering letter explaining our situation generally? I used these in all of my UK visa and citizenship applications, so wondering if the same would apply in Canada

2. My wife is a stay-at-home mum, so does not provide an income, does this make the application more problematic? If so, any tips for how to offset this? Form 5540 Q6 she has to state she is not currently employed, and I understand the sponsor has some financials responsibilities regarding the sponsored applicant – which is odd in our situation as it is me (the applicant) that financially supports the family

3. My wife is also a naturalized Canadian citizen (Indian by birth) and has been out of the country lived in Canada for the past 12 years – again does this make the application more problematic? And would there be any general watch outs? Tips?

4. Form 5540 Question 9 – since my wife is a naturalized citizen of Canada, she need to answer “on what date did you become a permanent resident?” Would this be the date her permanent residency was issued, or the date she landed as a permanent resident? These dates are ~7 months apart for my wife

Thanks!
Chris
Old Jan 5th 2015, 3:07 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outland Spousal application questions

Originally Posted by cberry
Hi all, the more forms I attempt, the more questions they generate... This site has been a lifesaver so far. Nearly done with the (first draft, of many!) of the application.

Situation: UK/US citizen living in London with Canadian wife and daughter. Looking to apply for outland Spousal sponsorship as soon as I get my FBI check returned (there has been IT delays on this).

I’ve come across the following questions so far:

1. I understand that both I and my wife will need to create short relationship essays explaining how our relationships developed. However, I’m wondering if it is worthwhile also including a short covering letter explaining our situation generally? I used these in all of my UK visa and citizenship applications, so wondering if the same would apply in Canada
I suppose you can if you want, but generally, if it's not on the checklist, then it's not required. Up to you.

2. My wife is a stay-at-home mum, so does not provide an income, does this make the application more problematic? If so, any tips for how to offset this? Form 5540 Q6 she has to state she is not currently employed, and I understand the sponsor has some financials responsibilities regarding the sponsored applicant – which is odd in our situation as it is me (the applicant) that financially supports the family
There is no financial requirement for family class applications unless you are sponsoring a dependent who has dependent children of their own (e.g., you are sponsoring your dependent son, who also has a young daughter). As it doesn't sound like this is the case for you, there is no financial requirement. Instead, your wife just acknowledges that should the sponsored person (you) claim any kind of government assistance within 3 years of becoming a PR (for example, welfare) that she, as the sponsor, will be required to repay that money back to the government.

She should provide details of her last tax return, and any savings she has. Otherwise just write a letter staying what you have said here - she's a SAHM, you are the primary and sole breadwinner, but she understands the requirements of undertaking sponsorship.

3. My wife is also a naturalized Canadian citizen (Indian by birth) and has been out of the country lived in Canada for the past 12 years – again does this make the application more problematic? And would there be any general watch outs? Tips?
It shouldn't, no. They may look into your application a bit more as she's originally from a higher-risk country (in terms of immigration fraud, etc), but as a Canadian citizen, she has the right to sponsor her non-Canadian partner. I wouldn't worry about it. (And I"m just speculating that they may look a bit closer - it's only a guess, I may be completely wrong! And for the record, not implying there is any fraud or anything, just stating a fact that India is one of the countries with a higher immigration fraud rate.)

4. Form 5540 Question 9 – since my wife is a naturalized citizen of Canada, she need to answer “on what date did you become a permanent resident?” Would this be the date her permanent residency was issued, or the date she landed as a permanent resident? These dates are ~7 months apart for my wife

Thanks!
Chris
Write the date that she became a PR on the form, and include on a separate sheet that she became a citizen 7 months later on x date.

Hope that helps!