Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Outland to Inland applicant? Eligibility for work permit if outside Canada?

Outland to Inland applicant? Eligibility for work permit if outside Canada?

Old Oct 29th 2020, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Outland to Inland applicant? Eligibility for work permit if outside Canada?

We're in the middle (well hopefully the end) of a PR application as some of you may be aware.

Other half has an unstarted IEC - just got POE entry letter extended until 31st March.

She can enter on a job offer, I may be able to enter accompanying or reuniting with her if IRCC allow me to travel.

At this point, would we effectively become inland applicants? (given outlands currently can't land, PPR/COPR isn't being issued)??

Likewise, other point is if she was to get a skilled job would I be able to get an open work permit even if I wasn't in the country?? (as opposed to our original plan of me being their on a visitor visa and applying for work permit whilst over there)
Old Oct 29th 2020, 11:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outland to Inland applicant? Eligibility for work permit if outside Canada?

Are you sure she can enter Canada at the moment? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...n-workers.html
You would only be able to join her - not accompany her... because she would need to already be in Canada for you to get dispensation to "JOIN" your family member
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#temporary

You would notify Immigration Canada of your change of address (once you move) so they can send the COPR to you - then you would normally make an appointment to do your "Landing Interview" once they restart them (although the have a new process for 'landing' Inland applicants)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pplicants.html

If you got your COPR, but haven’t landed

If we sent you a COPR, but you haven’t been able to go to one of our offices in Canada to validate it, we’ll contact you to tell you what to do. Use the web form if you need to update your contact information.

You should not travel to a port of entry to validate your COPR. This is not considered essential travel and you won’t be able to validate it this way.

Due to COVID-19, we have a new process to confirm permanent resident status. We don’t need a COPR for this new process if you are in Canada.

As to work permits..
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=177&top=17

Hope it all comes together soon.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 29th 2020 at 11:16 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outland to Inland applicant? Eligibility for work permit if outside Canada?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you sure she can enter Canada at the moment? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...n-workers.html
You would only be able to join her - not accompany her... because she would need to already be in Canada for you to get dispensation to "JOIN" your family member
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#temporary

You would notify Immigration Canada of your change of address (once you move) so they can send the COPR to you - then you will make an appointment to do your "Landing Interview"

As to work permits..
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=177&top=17

Hope it all comes together soon.
Thanks - yea current situation is she needs a job offer to enter, but given how she already has an IEC visa a job offer is apparently easier to come by than it would be normally if you didn't have a work permit or the like(I know of 2 people who got housekeeping jobs in hotels and flew over, likewise facebook IEC groups seem to be quite full of folks using workaway "jobs" as a way in - obviously this wouldn't give me access to a work permit and she'd have to find a skilled job at the end of the workaway).

Thanks for the link reference work permits - I wasn't sure if anything had changed, because again whilst its anecdotal (and I couldn't find anything myself online) people were saying on an IEC facebook group that due to reduced IRCC capabilities, work permits for those outside Canada weren't currently being issued.

I'm hoping we don't need any of it, and I get PPR through before March, but its getting towards crunch time where if we delay too much longer - we will lose our backup plan, but also feel like the wait is starting to sour the whole thing, and I'm aware there is only so long we can put on our life on hold.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

She can ask for another extension, if necessary.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...vid19/iec.html
You could be eligible for an extension of your current POE letter for up to 12 months.

Extending your POE letter

You can ask to have your POE letters extended by using our Web form.

Select “International Experience Canada” from the drop-down menu and include as many details as possible to support your case.
Don't give up hope, this too will pass
Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
She can ask for another extension, if necessary.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...vid19/iec.html

Don't give up hope, this too will pass
Aye, she's had her second extension now - takes her to 8 months. I'm hoping my PR is done and dusted by then, but not convinced.

Think the thing is, I am so set on it happening - I want to ensure I have a plan B/Plan C. (which is all IEC was) - But we ideally said we'd like to move between mid march and end of June, so we've got time to settle in and adjust before winter hits (that was our ambitious plan this yearpre covid) as feel moving in the depths of winter wouldnt be a positive start to a new life, and we've got the option of just hanging round vancouver till the winter passes.