Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Outland Common law application. Adresses/residency.

Outland Common law application. Adresses/residency.

Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Outland Common law application. Adresses/residency.

Hello everyone.

I have searched this subject to the ends of the earth and am still not sure on it.

I Have just come to the end of my bunac visa and have aplied for a visitor visa. (should I get any confirmation of this? I applied online)

My Canadian girlfriend and I have been living together for 10 months now.

So filling out paperwork and gathering evidence

I have a few questions.

Edit: few was worried about income but cleared that up.

Secondly its the address issue.

I plan to put my mailing address as my address here but should I put my residential address as an English address?

Also Residency I cant put here can I? as i am only here on a visitors visa now? so England? even though I haven't lived there in over a year?

also on forms such as IMM5406 Additional family information what do I put as present address? as it is here in Canada but I plan to put living address as England?

also IMM0008 question 15 address
Where I am listing all Addresss since 18. should I put my most current address as Here in Kelowna where I am living and put the to date as present?

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outland Common law application. Adresses/residency.

use your canadian address since that is where you're living (it doesnt matter that you are now a visitor)

You should get your visitor visa through in the mail but it may take a while. You have implied status anyway until you get a decision/it arrives
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
use your canadian address since that is where you're living (it doesnt matter that you are now a visitor)

You should get your visitor visa through in the mail but it may take a while. You have implied status anyway until you get a decision/it arrives
Ok but should still put residency as england?

Thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

i dont see any reason why you cant put canada - residency is determined by ties to the country i.e. a common law partner, address in canada, bank accounts etc. You are not currently a permanent resident but you are a temporary one having lived there for the past year and will continue to live there on a visitor visa.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

We erred on the side of caution. For every time we were confused by something like that , we had a typed sheet titled "Additional Information for Form xxxxx". In the box in question we'd put "see sheet titled Additional Info for Form xxxxx". On the typed sheet, we'd write "we're unsure which address you are requesting. If you want the Canadian address where he is currently staying as a visitor, it is xxxxxx. If you want his permanent address back in the UK it is xxxxx. However he will be in Canada pending the outcome of the PR application at the above address." (or whatever applied to the box in question).

I can happily say our application went through without issue.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kynn
We erred on the side of caution. For every time we were confused by something like that , we had a typed sheet titled "Additional Information for Form xxxxx". In the box in question we'd put "see sheet titled Additional Info for Form xxxxx". On the typed sheet, we'd write "we're unsure which address you are requesting. If you want the Canadian address where he is currently staying as a visitor, it is xxxxxx. If you want his permanent address back in the UK it is xxxxx. However he will be in Canada pending the outcome of the PR application at the above address." (or whatever applied to the box in question).

I can happily say our application went through without issue.
Thanks Kynn. That sounds like the safest plan. Will do that.

now I am having another issue. IM trying to USe the fillable PDFs and for some reaosn the text goes small in some fields.

Anyone know why that is?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomHoney
Thanks Kynn. That sounds like the safest plan. Will do that.

now I am having another issue. IM trying to USe the fillable PDFs and for some reaosn the text goes small in some fields.

Anyone know why that is?
The way the form creator formated the document. Unless you have the full version of Acrobat, nothing you can do to fix it.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Anyone know why that is?
It's so you can fit more into the space, where a longer answer may be needed. Addresses tend to use the smaller font size I believe.

I filled in all my forms electronically, but had to leave some of them blank and fill in by hand because there wasn't enough space or the format was wrong (UK phone numbers being the obvious example).

Andy
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smivers
It's so you can fit more into the space, where a longer answer may be needed. Addresses tend to use the smaller font size I believe.

I filled in all my forms electronically, but had to leave some of them blank and fill in by hand because there wasn't enough space or the format was wrong (UK phone numbers being the obvious example).

Andy
^yes. Its weird though becasue when it goes to the smaller font it moves around a bit and is osmetimes on the line spacing. think i might just have to do those fields by hand.

I have one more unrelated question not sure if anyone can help me out.

on Form IMM1344 Application to Sponser undertaking
Question 8. A

Your marital Status.

Have selected Common law

then it asks for Date relationship started.

are we meant to put the Date we started dating? or When we started living together? or when We had lived together for 1 year and were officially common law?
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

^yes. Its weird though becasue when it goes to the smaller font it moves around a bit and is osmetimes on the line spacing. think i might just have to do those fields by hand.

I have one more unrelated question not sure if anyone can help me out.

on Form IMM1344 Application to Sponser undertaking
Question 8. A

Your marital Status.

Have selected Common law

then it asks for Date relationship started.

are we meant to put the Date we started dating? or When we started living together? or when We had lived together for 1 year and were officially common law?
ok Well we are getting nearer gettign everything completed. for the DAte question above I just put all the dates on an addtioanal info sheet.

Have booked medicals. Now trying to find a comiisioner of Oaths for the Decleration. Anyone know where best to look? Have tried google but it throws up some odd stuff.

Also for eveidence. I had planned to Put all my evidence for everything in one envelope along with an Index then Write A number on each piece.

But reading the form it seems some evidence is required for one question and some for another. so shoul I split it up? It seems the leases, wills, joint bills go with one. then Letters, Cards, Photos in another?

Thanks again for everyones help.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Commissioner of Oaths for what declaration? For an outland common-law sponsorship application, there is no declaration to sign. The "declaration of common-law union" (or whatever the official title is) is not for a spousal (common-law or married) sponsorship. It's ONLY for if you're sponsoring a family member. Even then, it's only needed if the primary applicant can't meet the financial obligation and needs their common-law partner's income to be able to. So, if your common-law partner is sponsoring YOU to come to Canada - it's not needed!

I labeled all our evidence with a code (eg. Ph1, Ph2 etc for photos) as well as putting our initials on everything. I did also include an "index" for all the evidence listing the code and description. It was all stacked neatly, in order, index on top in the envelope with the application. Was it necessary? Who knows. Did they accept it? You bet! Should you do it? Up to you.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

You do realise that you cannot file for common law until you have been living together at least 12 months?

And you will need full proof of that 12 months.

I am assuming you are putting together the application in anticipation of when the 12 months is up. Make sure you have the joint bank accounts, lease, life insurance that you have held for 12 months in both names etc, as well as photos, letters from relatives and stuff that prove you have been in a marriage like relationship for a period of 12 months.