In or Outland?

Old Sep 16th 2021, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Small Totem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In or Outland?

I’m Canadian living in the UK. I have the option of moving back with my current employer due to a global position opening up which I would be confident of securing; I have the option of being based anywhere and have been itching to go back to bc for some time.
my common law partner is highly employable (carpenter, class 1 and 2 driver, timber framing and resort maintenance mgmt)
if I took this role and we did move back what would be the better option for us?
inunderstand there is open work permit possibility for him once he submits his application but confused as to what is the best route?
apply now Outland then move once SA comes thru or go together with him entering under dual intent?
Any experiences would be appreciated!
Old Sep 16th 2021, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: In or Outland?

Can he apply for an open work permit as soon as sponsor approval comes back and he enters under dual intent?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 1:56 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Small Totem
Can he apply for an open work permit as soon as sponsor approval comes back and he enters under dual intent?
1. If you submit an inland sponsorship, he would include an open work permit application. Usually about 4 months for the AOR, but with resources moved to working on Afghanistan cases, I would count it being longer than 4 months before he would be able to work.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 10:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

apply now Outland then move once SA comes thru or go together with him entering under dual intent?
That's the same thing.

This Wiki article may be helpful - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...d_Applications

Essentially, if you want to apply from the UK then you have no choice, you have to apply outland. Inland is only for people living in Canada on another status who can apply from there.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
basically I can move and work immediately and although my other half wouldn’t be able to work until his permit came through my father is building a holiday home so having a volunteer carpenter in bc would be handy!
so if I understand correctly, we can apply Outland from the U.K., wait for sponsorship approval to come thru, move and once we land he can apply for a work permit from within Canada while we wait for his PR to come thru? And enter under dual intent? Or does he apply for work permit at the point we submit the application?

I have read the wiki but still confused
Old Sep 18th 2021, 7:34 am
Just Joined

I understand it’s easier to gain a longer visitor visa if you have the application already submitted hence wondering if Outland is best, or just move and have him do it inland. Not sure what would be the best route really!
Old Sep 18th 2021, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

basically I can move and work immediately and although my other half wouldn’t be able to work until his permit came through my father is building a holiday home so having a volunteer carpenter in bc would be handy!
Sorry, but I don't think he'll be able to do that. Any job that would normally be renumerated isn't allowed unless you have a work permit, so he can do true volunteer work (help at a soup kitchen, dog walk for a shelter etc), but nothing that would normally be paid work.

so if I understand correctly, we can apply Outland from the U.K., wait for sponsorship approval to come thru, move and once we land he can apply for a work permit from within Canada while we wait for his PR to come thru? And enter under dual intent? Or does he apply for work permit at the point we submit the application?

You're mixing them up. Did you see the Wiki article comparing the two ways of applying?

Outland - you apply from the UK, can move over once SA is received under 'dual intent', but no work permit is possible so he'd just have to wait for PR before being able to work. A safer option.

Inland - can only be applied for from Canada, so is usually for those already there (i.e. those on a study permit or work permit already living in the country). Can get the work permit. Risky as no guarantee he'll be given entry as no 'dual intent', he'd have to be prepared to convince the border officer that he's not planning on staying (but of course that's exactly what he would be doing!). No appeal route either for inland apps.

HTH.
​​​​​​​
Old Sep 18th 2021, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, that helps loads. The work for my dad is not actually paid. It’s land I own in title so would be wouldn’t be ‘paid work’. Ita essentially building another cabin on land we own.

that clears it up for me, I was thinking that if most people could go and land under dual intent then apply for work permit everyone would just go that route. So doing it Outland would be best, but would make it more complicated as he wouldn’t be able to join me if I had to relocate for the job.

I have read the wiki and the cic website but it still does confuse me when it gets to the work permit area. I guess inland is for people that are already there under another visa? I mean if my salary can support the both of us financially then it still does confuse me slightly. If I am Canadian and can move back and earn enough to support us both it seems strange that he can’t come and get a visitors visa that allows him to stay long enough to apply for pr?
Old Sep 19th 2021, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is absolutely correct: It doesn't matter that the work for your father isn't paid. The kind of work you describe would be considered as taking an opportunity away from a Citizen or PR (or work Permit holder). Your partner should be extremely careful about doing anything that could be considered "work" before he gets a WP or becomes a PR, even unpaid for his father in law! It sounds ridiculous but it's the law!

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 19th 2021 at 4:21 am.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Fewf - still on this mission but 2 years later and for good reason as I started and completed my MBA (employer funded) so made the decision to stay in the UK for the duration of my study.

We are now looking at making the move and are still debating inland v outland
we have the funds to make the move now however I will be leaving my employer so will have to find work once we get to BC. I appreciate spousal route is not means tested but basically we can fund 4/5 months with no work.
Is there anyone on here with recent experience of how long it takes to get OWP if we did the application inland?

many thanks!
Old Jun 1st 2023, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As above, if you’re in the UK then you’d apply Outland.

HTH.