Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Out of status in U.S & PR to Quebec??

Out of status in U.S & PR to Quebec??

Old Mar 3rd 2001, 2:47 pm
fk1342

Hello; I am on an H-1 visa in U.S and I would like to migrate to Montreal , Quebec. The
company that is sponsoring me for H-1 will be laying me off in a month. If I loose my
legal status in U.S is that going to cause any problem with my Canadian PR? One has to be
in legal status to be able to apply from U.S to immigrate to Quebec???

Thank you

Old Mar 3rd 2001, 6:22 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Hi:

You should have no problems as long as you are not in the USA without status. Once your
H-1 Visa expires, you may want to apply for an adjustment of status in the USA so that you
can remain in the USA while your Canadian permanent residency application is processing.

If you remain in the USA without status, CIC may take this into consideration.

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 3rd 2001, 9:52 pm
Sirithan

Resident of the USA, with or without status, may submit their applications for Certificate
of Selection to the Quebec immigration office in New York: www.quebecusa.org. Experience
acquired in the USA without a valid status will not be taken into account in the
assessment. The Canadian Visa section in Buffalo will process applications as well.

Sirithan

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 4th 2001, 11:24 pm
D. Gian

Sirithan wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Dear FK & Sirithan: Not only will the experience acquired be at issue, you documenting
that you broke the law and worked in USA illegally will lead to denial of your case. The
Quebec or Canadian Immigration officer will "probably" find a way to deny such an
application. As advise given earlier by others, do not get out of status, your application
to quebec or Canada will take 6 to 12 months to process...

Wishing you the very best, Very truly yours, --D. Gian

>
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need To Discuss your specific immigration issue(s) ? Please Contact Us via Phone For
Services on Your Specific Immigration Matters. Phone Consultation fee of US$ 50 (credited
towards any immigration work done for you within 30 days of the phone consultation)
Immigration & Visas International
Team of Specialized Immigration Consultants & Lawyers Providing Immigration and Job
Searches in: USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND Also providing Notary Services for the
Sate of New Jersey, USA.
################################################## #########################
New Jersey, USA Office: Immigration and Visas Int'l 7 Village Road, Kendall Park, NJ 08824
Voice: (732) 821-6077 Fax: (732) 821-1615 Mailto: [email protected]

(If Replying or Requesting your immigration assessment, Mailto:
[email protected] )

World Wide Web URL= http://www.immigrationandvisas.com
!!!!!!! DISCLAIMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISCLAIMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: This email/correspondence is not intended to establish an attorney-client
relationship. All information contained in this email/correspondence is generalized. Any
reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. Contact our Office(s)
Via Phone to get Specific Information regarding Your Issue(s).

Old Mar 12th 2001, 12:43 pm
ALEJA32313440

<<You should have no problems as long as you are not in the USA without status. Once your
H-1 Visa expires, you may want to apply for an adjustment of status in the USA so that you
can remain in the USA while your Canadian permanent residency application is
processing.>>>

What if one is out of status in USA and wants to go to Montreal to study with a student
authorization? Thank you.

Ale