Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is our wait-time with no updates "normal" (spousal)...experts pls take a look too

Is our wait-time with no updates "normal" (spousal)...experts pls take a look too

Old May 11th 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default Is our wait-time with no updates "normal" (spousal)...experts pls take a look too

Hi all,

As I am reading posts of other people applying for spousal sponsorship and hearing about wait times of a couple to three months, I am starting to worry and just want to check that I am not missing somehting here....

Ok, so we applied back in August 2007. I was approved as sponsor, our file was sent to London. Ecas says "in process" and nothing new has come up since September 2007 when it posted "we started processing Mr x's application on September 5th, 2007".

We did have a letter regarding his medical, and he was ordered to have further testing (see a psychiatrist to investigate his "history of substance misuse" and have drug tests-he had admitted to smoking weed in his past). Hubby saw the psychiatrist, had the tests and as far as we know it all was sent off-though no update to say meds received.

So, we have heard nothing for a long time. His visitor visa (which has already been extended twice) expires in August 2008.

As some of you will remember, our case is not straightforward. There is a police caution from 4 years and 8 months ago on his police check. The caution is for "cultivation of cannibas" which is an indictable offence here in Canada...so it could/will pose a problem for our application. So, we expected delays and problems....we have explored the many options for what to do next if he is refused because of criminal inadmissablity etc etc.

I guess we have adopted the attitude that no news is good news, and thinking that the closer it gets to September, the better, because then it will be five yrs since the caution and then we may be in a better position.

Anyways, I guess what I am wondering is whether we ware doing the right thing just sitting and waiting. Is there anything abnormal about our wait? Is there anything we could or should be doing? For some reason I am starting to panic.

Kellie
Old May 11th 2008, 3:47 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is our wait-time with no updates "normal" (spousal)...experts pls take a look too

Given the nature of your husband's case the delay is not surprising. You did not say when the further medical results were sent in but a delay of at least 5 months or more from then is to be expected.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is our wait-time with no updates "normal" (spousal)...experts pls take a look too

Thanks for the reassurance.

I checked and we actually sent the updated med info at the end of August, beginning of September, so it has been over 8 months since then! I remember now that we were shocked at how fast they requested the further info, and hubby was able to get in with the shrink at a last minute cancellation, so it all happened quickly.

I don't want to 'rock the boat' by contacting CIC, as like I said, we are in a better position come September. Maybe a kind immigration officer knows that and has put our file into a 'deal with in September pile'!!!!

Fingers crossed.

Is there anyone else on here that has been waiting as long as us for a spousal application?