Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Are our goods arriving before we are????!!

Are our goods arriving before we are????!!

Old Dec 13th 2006, 9:01 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Are our goods arriving before we are????!!

Hello!
We have a general question and have tried to research a possible answer, which is still unclear...

We are arriving Feb 9 2007 and we have heard from our shipping company that the boat will arrive Feb 5 2007, but that clearance will take place approx 10 days following.
Do we need to be there physically the day the boat arrives or the day customs gets around to clearance the 10 days following?

Thank you so much for you advice. We just have heard that its best to be there before, which we know, but now are just confused between boat arrival date or customs clearance date!

Fluffy Boogie
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are our goods arriving before we are????!!

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
Hello!
We have a general question and have tried to research a possible answer, which is still unclear...

We are arriving Feb 9 2007 and we have heard from our shipping company that the boat will arrive Feb 5 2007, but that clearance will take place approx 10 days following.
Do we need to be there physically the day the boat arrives or the day customs gets around to clearance the 10 days following?

Thank you so much for you advice. We just have heard that its best to be there before, which we know, but now are just confused between boat arrival date or customs clearance date!

Fluffy Boogie
on my papers it states that you have to be 'in canada' when your goods arrive.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jempee
on my papers it states that you have to be 'in canada' when your goods arrive.
This is my understanding as well. Our goods are already "packed" and are in storage with Whites. We are landing in Calgary on 14 Jan 07 and have a house to move into the next day. We were anxious for the goods to be there as quickly as possible so asked Whites to send them in advance of our arrival so that, upon arrival, we simply need to go to customs, get goods cleared, and have them delivered.

However, Whites have informed us that we must be in country at the time the goods first land on Canadian soil, which we understand will be at Montreal, before they are transported to Calgary.

Apparently, officials will check to ensure we are in country and, if we are not, there is a risk that the goods could be sent back to the UK

HTH
Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:10 am

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Thank you both for your advice. I'll try and see if the shipping company can hold our stuff an extra week and ship it one week later, to be sure we are there when it arrives...

Have a good day!
Fluffy

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
This is my understanding as well. Our goods are already "packed" and are in storage with Whites. We are landing in Calgary on 14 Jan 07 and have a house to move into the next day. We were anxious for the goods to be there as quickly as possible so asked Whites to send them in advance of our arrival so that, upon arrival, we simply need to go to customs, get goods cleared, and have them delivered.

However, Whites have informed us that we must be in country at the time the goods first land on Canadian soil, which we understand will be at Montreal, before they are transported to Calgary.

Apparently, officials will check to ensure we are in country and, if we are not, there is a risk that the goods could be sent back to the UK

HTH
Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:22 am

Question Experts? Help re: goods

In the meantime I have received this quote from my shipper:

If the vessel arrives the 5th, the goods will not be available before a couple of days, so do not worry…It still needs to be unloaded from the vessel, unloaded from the container and picked up by my agent. By the time you arrive, the goods are ready for clearance.

Argh the confusion........ He sounds like he knows what he is talking about but so do you!

I wrote him explaining the actual physicality of being there when the boat arrives, but he seems to feel that as long as we are there once the goods actually get to clearance we are fine.

Fluffy

Experts??
Originally Posted by Dying to leave England

HTH