Our first draft of a plan

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

lyttlem1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our first draft of a plan

Hi I've been reading the great info on forum here and the Canadian CIC site over the past week. Well I've got to the point were my head hurts thinking about the different option and answers seem to be leading to more questions lol

So I hope it's ok to run things by you guys to see if the basic plan is right and get a few pointers about things that I still haven't been able to figure yet.

My partner and I are in our early forties and with the kids all up and away we are hoping to follow our dream and emigrate to Canada.

I have been self employed for the past 15 yrs. We don't have a large amount of assets but can show that we can support ourselves in Canada.

We both come up with the required number of 67 points and have no criminal stuff to worry about.

From what I can gather my partner should likely be the main applicant and she seems to fit the criteria for the Federal Skilled Immigration route. She has worked in management in a Health and Social Care Trust in the UK in a Head of Services post for 4 years within the past 10 years.

Her initial route into her last job above was as a Social Worker (Noc 4152) (experience also within past 10 years). Her last Job had the Job title 'Head of Service', the closest we can see (that matched her last jobs duties) on the list of 50 eligible occupations for the FSW Program is 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311). However we found an even closer match by drilling down in the 'Classified Elsewhere' section of 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311) - Is this allowed to do this? (we came up with Managers in Social, community and correctional services' Noc 0423)

Here's were it all becomes a bit foggy for us - what are the benefits (if any) to applying under 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311) as opposed to 'Social Worker' under the FSW Programme - I know I'm getting confused here but can't see where.

Am I right in thinking that this route ('Managers in health care' (Noc 0311))would mean:
- that it is possible to look for a job in person after arriving in Canada (ie a Job offer not being required for the application)?
- a prospective employer would be exempt from the need to carry out a Labor Market Impact Assessment?
- A successful application would bring with it PR ?

So the early draft of the plan (I'm sure to be revised lol) is to apply to FSW Program under the occupation 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311) (or closest matching 'Classified Elsewhere' Occupation Title.

Thanks for taking a read at this, it has felt quite daunting reading the info and even posting on the forum. From other posters on the forum I see we need to get our skates on to get an application in before the change of rules in Jan. Our initial reaction was kind of panic and we wanted to run out and pay someone to take the headache but we have decided to try and do this ourselves and really do appreciate any advice or insights you have.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our first draft of a plan

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by lyttlem1
I have been self employed for the past 15 yrs. We don't have a large amount of assets but can show that we can support ourselves in Canada.
Just checking, but when you say you don't have a large amount of assets, you do have the amount required by CIC (which is considered by most to be far too low btw, best to aim for more), plus a good chunk more for the application process and move?

Her initial route into her last job above was as a Social Worker (Noc 4152) (experience also within past 10 years). Her last Job had the Job title 'Head of Service', the closest we can see (that matched her last jobs duties) on the list of 50 eligible occupations for the FSW Program is 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311). However we found an even closer match by drilling down in the 'Classified Elsewhere' section of 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311) - Is this allowed to do this? (we came up with Managers in Social, community and correctional services' Noc 0423)
Not only are you allowed to do that, but you must do that - Social Workers aren't on the list of eligible occupations in demand, so your wife would only be eligible under 0311! You must also always choose the closest NOC to the job she'd be applying under, as if there is one that is a better fit CIC would reject her application. So do make sure that 0311 is definitely right and that she can prove she's done the duties listed and meets the other criteria.

Here's were it all becomes a bit foggy for us - what are the benefits (if any) to applying under 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311) as opposed to 'Social Worker' under the FSW Programme - I know I'm getting confused here but can't see where.
As above, one is on 'the list', the other is not.

Am I right in thinking that this route ('Managers in health care' (Noc 0311))would mean:
- that it is possible to look for a job in person after arriving in Canada (ie a Job offer not being required for the application)?
- a prospective employer would be exempt from the need to carry out a Labor Market Impact Assessment?
- A successful application would bring with it PR ?
Yes, yes, and yes.

So the early draft of the plan (I'm sure to be revised lol) is to apply to FSW Program under the occupation 'Managers in health care' (Noc 0311) (or closest matching 'Classified Elsewhere' Occupation Title.
If there's another that is a closer match, you need to be sure it's on the list of eligible occupations. Let's hope that she fits in to 0311!

From other posters on the forum I see we need to get our skates on to get an application in before the change of rules in Jan. Our initial reaction was kind of panic and we wanted to run out and pay someone to take the headache but we have decided to try and do this ourselves and really do appreciate any advice or insights you have.
Yes, don't delay. Best of luck with it, and I'm sure now you've found BE you've no need to hire a consultant to do anything for you.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, that has cleared a lot of that up.

Just checking, but when you say you don't have a large amount of assets, you do have the amount required by CIC (which is considered by most to be far too low btw, best to aim for more), plus a good chunk more for the application process and move?
We have the amount required by CIC and may have to beg and borrow for the application process and move. What would be an approximate ball park figure for two people to undertake the process and move from the uk? We don't have much in terms of possessions and could literally fit everything into 2 rucksacks lol but even with that I'm sure it's a considerable sum?

One other thing that we are thinking may effect the amount we need is that I have a daughter still at university in the uk, we send her money each month to help keep her afloat but would she be considered a 'dependent' for the purposes of the assessment (she is over 18) and would we then have to show available funds to support 3 people?
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We have the amount required by CIC and may have to beg and borrow for the application process and move. What would be an approximate ball park figure for two people to undertake the process and move from the uk? We don't have much in terms of possessions and could literally fit everything into 2 rucksacks lol but even with that I'm sure it's a considerable sum?
Generally speaking, it's usually cheaper to ship stuff than buy everything new (just think how much you'd have to buy, from the big things like sofas, bed, wardrobes etc, down to every little thing like potato peelers, loo brushes, picture frames etc!). But if you don't have anything at all to take with you, then my guess would be around £15k perhaps?

So a couple of thousand for the visa app/medicals, same again for flights, few thousand for rental deposits, utility deposits, insurances, and another chunk for a car (more if you'd want two), then a few thousand to furnish a house. That's all a bit of a guess, the only thing you can say for sure is what the visa app will be and the flights. If you wouldn't have a job to go to, then you'd need a lot more than that.

This thread may be useful reading, although for most it's a family that they're giving costings for, there are some useful figures and perhaps some couples in there too? http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/

One other thing that we are thinking may effect the amount we need is that I have a daughter still at university in the uk, we send her money each month to help keep her afloat but would she be considered a 'dependent' for the purposes of the assessment (she is over 18) and would we then have to show available funds to support 3 people?
No, she wouldn't be a dependent, which is good from a funds point of view, but also bad from another - you're ok with her not being able to go on your visa app and join you in Canada?

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 3rd 2014 at 2:28 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot, that has cleared a lot of that up.

You can do a search on here, there's loads of examples of costs but the general consensus would be around £20k for two of you depending on your needs/circumstances (i.e. job offer, shipping, bringing pets, etc). I would aim for at least that amount though
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:51 am
Just Joined

No, she wouldn't be a dependent, which is good from a funds point of view, but also bad from another - you're ok with her not being able to go on your visa app and join you in Canada?
Is that possible? it would be great if she was able to go on our visa app, we thought with her being over 18 she wouldn't be able to go on the visa app, our hope was to eventually go for citizenship and look at a way of sponsoring her into Canada?
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Is that possible? it would be great if she was able to go on our visa app, we thought with her being over 18 she wouldn't be able to go on the visa app, our hope was to eventually go for citizenship and look at a way of sponsoring her into Canada?
No, it's not possible, that's what I mean - she cannot go on your app so are you ok with that? You also couldn't sponsor her (being a citizen would make no difference) as Family Class doesn't allow for the sponsorship of adult children I'm afraid.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 3rd 2014 at 3:15 am.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys that has all given us plenty to think about....the are two things that we are wondering if will effect our application.

The first is that we have been traveling in Vietnam since May 2014 (hence just having our rucksacks) we plan to return to the uk in a few weeks. Does being out of the UK for 6 months effect the application.

The second is a building site that we have a mortgage on in the uk, before we left for Vietnam we had an interested buyer but the sale has dragged on and yesterday we got an email from the solicitor that the sale has fallen through we are about to put it on the market again. I'm thinking this will be our biggest obstacle - owing money to the bank?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, read the FSW criteria on the website.
To 1, no, you will relay that in the forms though, travel, and generic. You may also need police certificates for Vietnam
To 2, read about required funds