Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Our first 3-week Experience in Toronto

Our first 3-week Experience in Toronto

Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough
Default Our first 3-week Experience in Toronto

After getting your landing papers and visas and finally selling your house and property, When you are ready to move to Canada, you may find a lot of new small but still problems on your way. I had some and I manage to handle them successfully, here is my story, I hope it can be helpful.

In February we landed in Vancouver and in a month after that we departed Canada. We got our PR Cards and Sin Cards during that time. We returned Canada 3 weeks ago and settled down in Toronto

Place to live
Well we used the following URL and successfully found the right place and price. You need to keep checking for some days and be patient till you find what you like.

http://toronto.craigslist.org/apa/

Airport pick-up
Then we though, well there are many luggage and we had to book a car to pick us up at the airport. The average price is no less than 40-50 dollars. And there is no other place where you can find better price. But that’s not true. You can get into ethnic groups where they have competitive prices to offer but they are not available in English on line. So I went through some Chinese websites and I found there were many people with minivan who could do it for 20-30 dollars for up to 4 passengers plus 6 or 7 luggages!

Finding low price food
On the first day, we purchased some basic food at Loblaws, but the next day when we visited the Price Chopper Supermarket, I realized how cheap and good the food items were there. JUST got for PRICE CHOPPER.

Transportation,
Well the first days you may be confused with the streets and places around you and you need to go for your SIN Card application, OHIP Card and so on. We didn’t like taking TTC (Bus-Subway..) since despite Vancouver, you have to pay fare for each direction you move, while in Vancouver I could use my ticket for 90 minutes from the time I purchased on board in any direction I moved, I mean to go or return. Here in Toronto I bought 2 nice cheap bikes (one for 35 and the other for 20 dollars) and that saved us a lot of time and tickets. (Of course for winter you cant use them, but for about 7 to 8 months a year, it can help) Best time to buy cheap bike, starts from October. There are some shops on Dundas, where you can find some cheap bikes.

OHIP Card Application:
Although we have to wait for 3 months to get our health cards, but I see no real need to go through private insurance companies for this period. Its expensive I think. About $700 for each person. We didn’t do it and so far so good. Any way, the point about OHIP Card is, when you go to apply for this card you must have a proof to show, EACH ONE of you in the family live in Ontario (as an example), that means, its not enough to show the husband or wife, you MUST show proof for both of you, and since you are new and don’t have many of those stuff listed in the their documents as the proof to show, the easiest thing to do is, when you sign a lease with the landlord, write your name (wife and Husband) together on the contract as LEESSES, so that can be a good proof where it shows your names and address in Ontario and its perfectly accepted.

Bank and Credit
Sooner or later, we all need a credit history in Canada. As soon as you arrive, after opening a checking account (you need this sort of account in may places where you want to work, they may ask you to give them a VOID checque and that can help), since you have your settlement funds with you, that could be a good back-up for your application for a Credit Card. Keep in mind, in most cases banks agree with your application if you have an employment, so since you may not have a job at the beginning (for a day or year J), use the time and the excuse that you are newly landed or returning and use your funds as a back up to apply for credit card. You can start with a Secured Credit Card with the minimum Credit amount of 1000 dollars. Why? Because firstly there is no chance for you (when you have no job) to get an nonsecured credit card and on he other hand to have a secured card you need to freeze some funds for a period of 2 years in the bank (of course it can be redeemable), so the lower your credit the lower your deposit will be in the bank as a guarantee. so you will have more cash available at hand. And the good thing is in 6 months you can go back to bank and show proof of employment and your good credit during this time to ask them change your status to non-secured, so that you can have access to your frozen money and even you can ask to increase your limit easily.
The other fact I learned about the credit cards is, when I purchased food in cash each time I had to pay GST and PST, but from the time I use credit card, I don’t need to pay any of them and all the time it keeps ZERO.

BY the way, there is bank called ING Direct (an internet banking), they offer a very high interest on your savings 2.5% and the good point is you can withdraw this money any time you want without any deduction of your interest while in other banks, to get such interest, you need to deposit your funds in term accounts locked in. There is no fee or commission in this bank and you can do everything free of charge. And there is a promotion on their service for now. If you open a new account before the end of December 2005, you can receive 3% interest on your regular savings. And you can receive 13 dollars cash as bonus deposited into your account directly on the spot as soon as you open your new account IF a friend has introduced you to this bank.

If you are interested you can log into:
www.ingdirect.ca/en/ISAfriends

And open an account online (this offer is just for Canadian dollar), and make sure if you were asked for a referral code use this one “ 16354283S1 “ so that you can make sure 13 dollars go into your name, without this code you get nothing. That’s True, I did it last week and today I had it in my account, I couldn’t believe it at first but that’s true. I opened an account for my wife and child each one and received 13 dollars for each one too. The good point is, you can get this money and later close your account if you wish and there is no fee or any cost for you. Give it a try. Remember this offer is up to end of December 2005.

Finding Job,

There are free newspapers everywhere in toronto where you can find job ads. I used Employment News and found a job for my wife 2 weeks ago and for myself just yesterday.

Good luck every one

Last edited by Raska; Nov 9th 2005 at 1:31 am.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:14 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our first 3-week Experience in Toronto

Originally Posted by Raska
After getting your landing papers and visas and finally selling your house and property, When you are ready to move to Canada, you may find a lot of new small but still problems on your way. I had some and I manage to handle them successfully, here is my story, I hope it can be helpful.

In February we landed in Vancouver and in a month after that we departed Canada. We got our PR Cards and Sin Cards during that time. We returned Canada 3 weeks ago and settled down in Toronto

Place to live
Well we used the following URL and successfully found the right place and price. You need to keep checking for some days and be patient till you find what you like.

Airport pick-up
Then we though, well there are many luggage and we had to book a car to pick us up at the airport. The average price is no less than 40-50 dollars. And there is no other place where you can find better price. But that’s not true. You can get into ethnic groups where they have competitive prices to offer but they are not available in English on line. So I went through some Chinese websites and I found there were many people with minivan who could do it for 20-30 dollars for up to 4 passengers plus 6 or 7 luggages!

Finding low price food
On the first day, we purchased some basic food at Loblaws, but the next day when we visited the Price Chopper Supermarket, I realized how cheap and good the food items were there. JUST got for PRICE CHOPPER.

Transportation,
Well the first days you may be confused with the streets and places around you and you need to go for your SIN Card application, OHIP Card and so on. We didn’t like taking TTC (Bus-Subway..) since despite Vancouver, you have to pay fare for each direction you move, while in Vancouver I could use my ticket for 90 minutes from the time I purchased on board in any direction I moved, I mean to go or return. Here in Toronto I bought 2 nice cheap bikes (one for 35 and the other for 20 dollars) and that saved us a lot of time and tickets. (Of course for winter you cant use them, but for about 7 to 8 months a year, it can help) Best time to buy cheap bike, starts from October. There are some shops on Dundas, where you can find some cheap bikes.

OHIP Card Application:
Although we have to wait for 3 months to get our health cards, but I see no real need to go through private insurance companies for this period. Its expensive I think. About $700 for each person. We didn’t do it and so far so good. Any way, the point about OHIP Card is, when you go to apply for this card you must have a proof to show, EACH ONE of you in the family live in Ontario (as an example), that means, its not enough to show the husband or wife, you MUST show proof for both of you, and since you are new and don’t have many of those stuff listed in the their documents as the proof to show, the easiest thing to do is, when you sign a lease with the landlord, write your name (wife and Husband) together on the contract as LEESSES, so that can be a good proof where it shows your names and address in Ontario and its perfectly accepted.

Bank and Credit
Sooner or later, we all need a credit history in Canada. As soon as you arrive, after opening a checking account (you need this sort of account in may places where you want to work, they may ask you to give them a VOID checque and that can help), since you have your settlement funds with you, that could be a good back-up for your application for a Credit Card. Keep in mind, in most cases banks agree with your application if you have an employment, so since you may not have a job at the beginning (for a day or year J), use the time and the excuse that you are newly landed or returning and use your funds as a back up to apply for credit card. You can start with a Secured Credit Card with the minimum Credit amount of 1000 dollars. Why? Because firstly there is no chance for you (when you have no job) to get an nonsecured credit card and on he other hand to have a secured card you need to freeze some funds for a period of 2 years in the bank (of course it can be redeemable), so the lower your credit the lower your deposit will be in the bank as a guarantee. so you will have more cash available at hand. And the good thing is in 6 months you can go back to bank and show proof of employment and your good credit during this time to ask them change your status to non-secured, so that you can have access to your frozen money and even you can ask to increase your limit easily.
The other fact I learned about the credit cards is, when I purchased food in cash each time I had to pay GST and PST, but from the time I use credit card, I don’t need to pay any of them and all the time it keeps ZERO.

BY the way, there is bank called ING Direct (an internet banking), they offer a very high interest on your savings 2.5% and the good point is you can withdraw this money any time you want without any deduction of your interest while in other banks, to get such interest, you need to deposit your funds in term accounts locked in. There is no fee or commission in this bank and you can do everything free of charge. And there is a promotion on their service for now. If you open a new account before the end of December 2005, you can receive 3% interest on your regular savings. And you can receive 13 dollars cash as bonus deposited into your account directly on the spot as soon as you open your new account IF a friend has introduced you to this bank.

And open an account online (this offer is just for Canadian dollar), and make sure if you were asked for a referral code use this one “ 16354283S1 “ so that you can make sure 13 dollars go into your name, without this code you get nothing. That’s True, I did it last week and today I had it in my account, I couldn’t believe it at first but that’s true. I opened an account for my wife and child each one and received 13 dollars for each one too. The good point is, you can get this money and later close your account if you wish and there is no fee or any cost for you. Give it a try. Remember this offer is up to end of December 2005.

Finding Job,

There are free newspapers everywhere in toronto where you can find job ads. I used Employment News and found a job for my wife 2 weeks ago and for myself just yesterday.

Good luck every one
Good work on all counts! Congrats. This is a useful post and encouraging.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Riadh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Congrats,

very good job, thank you for sharing your experience, it is very helpful, but how can I access chineses web sites if I dont know chinses Language !!

Good luck and enjoy your new life in Toronto
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Canada1702 will become famous soon enoughCanada1702 will become famous soon enough

Place to live

Airport pick-up

Finding low price food

Transportation,

OHIP Card Application:

Bank and Credit

Finding Job,

Good luck every one
Thanks for sharing your experience! wish you the best!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Riadh
Hi there,
Congrats,

very good job, thank you for sharing your experience, it is very helpful, but how can I access chineses web sites if I dont know chinses Language !!

Good luck and enjoy your new life in Toronto
if you need that guy, i can find his number for you. he speaks a bit english. And if you wish to do some business with him, you can make your pick-up free of charge and add some bucks into your pocket too.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:17 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

if you need that guy, i can find his number for you. he speaks a bit english. And if you wish to do some business with him, you can make your pick-up free of charge and add some bucks into your pocket too.
I love Toronto so much and really miss living there. Be sure to eat at Salad King just North of Yonge and Dundas. THE most amazing food in the city IMHO.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:48 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Nice to hear things are working out for you.
Hope the wife didnt mind you getting her a job first.!! (joke)
Good Luck for the Future