Ottawa

Old Jan 25th 2001, 6:40 pm
David Handford

Please can anyone share any information on the city of Ottawa as me and my wife are split
on starting-up in Ottawa or Toronto. Ottawa looks good on paper being a small city
surrounded by beautiful countryside with inexpensive housing costs and lots of work in the
IT sector. But we would like to here from anyone who has been or actually lives there to
find out things about the people who live there. For example are they friendly/unfriendly,
what's the feel of the place, is it family orientated as we have two young children.

Many Thanks in advance

David & Kate

Old Jan 25th 2001, 9:08 pm
Jim Humphries

I lived in Ottawa for 6 years all told. It is definitely cold in winter but there are lots
of facilities and, as you already know, IT jobs too. I can recommend it unless you are a
weather wuss. Jim Humphries

David Handford wrote:
>
> Please can anyone share any information on the city of Ottawa as me and my wife are
> split on starting-up in Ottawa or Toronto. Ottawa looks good on paper being a small city
> surrounded by beautiful countryside with inexpensive housing costs and lots of work in
> the IT sector. But we would like to here from anyone who has been or actually lives
> there to find out things about the people who live there. For example are they
> friendly/unfriendly, what's the feel of the place, is it family orientated as we have
> two young children.
>
> Many Thanks in advance
>
> David & Kate

Old Jan 25th 2001, 9:40 pm
HG

Please can anyone share any information on the city of Ottawa as me and my
> wife are split on starting-up in Ottawa or Toronto. Ottawa looks good on paper being a
> small city surrounded by beautiful countryside with inexpensive housing costs and lots
> of work in the IT sector. But we would like to here from anyone who has been or actually
> lives there to find out things about the people who live there. For example are they
> friendly/unfriendly, what's the feel of the place, is it family orientated as we have
> two young children.

Ottawa is friendlier, prettier, cheaper and better to raise a family than Toronto - and I
say this as a loyal Torontonian. You may prefer Toronto if you like the big city lifestyle
or if you cannot tolerate cold weather and lots of snow (Toronto winters are milder). Both
are great cities, very cultured and fun to live in.

Old Jan 26th 2001, 1:11 am
ottawacisco

Both are great cities. The living cost is almost same. The housing is a little bit cheaper
in Ottawa but you may pay more for vegetables. Consider Ottawa if you are doing IT.
Toronto may be too big and it is very common to drive one hour or more from you home to
your job. Here in Ottawa, it will not be more than 30mins in most cases

In article <Zh%b6.2577$UO1.37191@news1-hme0>,

> Please can anyone share any information on the city of Ottawa as me
and my
> wife are split on starting-up in Ottawa or Toronto. Ottawa looks
good on
> paper being a small city surrounded by beautiful countryside with inexpensive housing
> costs and lots of work in the IT sector. But we
would
> like to here from anyone who has been or actually lives there to find
out
> things about the people who live there. For example are they friendly/unfriendly, what's
> the feel of the place, is it family
orientated
> as we have two young children.
>
> Many Thanks in advance
>
> David & Kate

Old Jan 26th 2001, 4:28 am
Gary L. Dare

: Ottawa is friendlier, prettier, cheaper and better to raise a family than Toronto - and
: I say this as a loyal Torontonian. You may prefer Toronto if you like the big city
: lifestyle or if you cannot tolerate cold weather

I concur. I'm a big city guy despite being born and raised in Winnipeg. Toronto would be
what me and the future missus (a Euro-New Yorker) would need, not Ottawa. We'll visit our
friends in Ottawa often, and vice-versa.

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Jan 26th 2001, 4:56 pm
akiyomiya

I visited Otawwa and stayed there for 2 weeks in summer.

It is a beautiful city and I really liked it. It is one of the cleanest cities in Canada.
It is pretty hot in summer in my standard (I live in San Francisco Bay Area, CA), but it
may not be for other people.

You may get bored living there if you are a city boy/girl. I guess it really depends on
what your preference, job prospect, and what you are looking for in your life.

AK

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> Both are great cities. The living cost is almost same. The housing is
a
> little bit cheaper in Ottawa but you may pay more for vegetables. Consider Ottawa if you
> are doing IT. Toronto may be too big and it is very common to drive one hour or more
> from you home to your job. Here in Ottawa, it will not be more than 30mins in most cases
>
> In article <Zh%b6.2577$UO1.37191@news1-hme0>,

> > Please can anyone share any information on the city of Ottawa as me
> and my
> > wife are split on starting-up in Ottawa or Toronto. Ottawa looks
> good on
> > paper being a small city surrounded by beautiful countryside with inexpensive housing
> > costs and lots of work in the IT sector. But we
> would
> > like to here from anyone who has been or actually lives there to
find
> out
> > things about the people who live there. For example are they friendly/unfriendly,
> > what's the feel of the place, is it family
> orientated
> > as we have two young children.
> >
> > Many Thanks in advance
> >
> > David & Kate
> >
> >

Old Jan 27th 2001, 1:22 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

HG ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> : Ottawa is friendlier, prettier, cheaper and better to raise a family
than
> : Toronto - and I say this as a loyal Torontonian. You may prefer Toronto if you like
> : the big city lifestyle or if you cannot tolerate cold
weather
>
> I concur. I'm a big city guy despite being born and raised in Winnipeg. Toronto would be
> what me and the future missus (a Euro-New Yorker) would need, not Ottawa. We'll visit
> our friends in Ottawa often, and vice-versa.

Ottawa is definitely nicer for raising a family. The countryside starts 16 km from
downtown, there's a bigger Quebec influence due to proximity, but it's definitely more
quiet than Toronto, and homes are a bit more affordable.

But it does get cold here, and we get a lot more snow than Toronto.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Jan 29th 2001, 2:06 pm
sarigama

How's skiing in Ottawa? Is it popular? Are there a lot of ski slopes and facilities?
Thanks --S

In article <[email protected]>,

>

> > HG ([email protected]) wrote:
> >
> > : Ottawa is friendlier, prettier, cheaper and better to raise a
family
> than
> > : Toronto - and I say this as a loyal Torontonian. You may prefer
Toronto
> > : if you like the big city lifestyle or if you cannot tolerate cold
> weather
> >
> > I concur. I'm a big city guy despite being born and raised in Winnipeg. Toronto would
> > be what me and the future missus (a Euro-New Yorker) would need, not Ottawa. We'll
> > visit our friends in Ottawa often, and vice-versa.
>
> Ottawa is definitely nicer for raising a family. The countryside starts 16 km from
> downtown, there's a bigger Quebec influence due to proximity, but it's definitely more
> quiet than Toronto, and homes are a bit more affordable.
>
> But it does get cold here, and we get a lot more snow than Toronto.
>
> Stephen Gallagher