Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Opinions: Parents applying for FSW

Opinions: Parents applying for FSW

Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

tastyh will become famous soon enoughtastyh will become famous soon enough
Default Opinions: Parents applying for FSW

Hi there,

My parents have been wanting to join me in Canada for some time now (I'm a permanent resident). So I had been considering sponsoring them, however since I'm a student I do not meet the income requirements to apply, or even apply for the super visa.

So we've been looking into the option of them applying for FSW. It turns out there's a job category under the FSW (Senior managers) that my Dad has much experience in. They meet all other requirements of the FSW and from my calculations are above the minimum points threshold by 5 to 10 points.

The only potential issue is that they are in their in their early 60s, and while both still working and young in spirit, are close to retirement age.

I know no-one here will be able to give me a definitive answer, but in your opinions and experiences, do you think it would be worthwhile them applying for FSW, given that they appear to meet all the requirements? My thinking is, if they were going to automatically reject anyone who appears too old, say, over 60, they would simply make this a maximum age requirement of the FSW.

My Dad, the principal applicant, has both a bachelor's in Chemistry and an MBA, has over 40 years of experience in the science and security industries, and would ideally like to continue working in Canada.

Thanks guys.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions: Parents applying for FSW

Hi tastyh

Actually the CIC websites has an FSW calculator.

Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

47 and older does not immediately disqualify the person - you just get 0 out of a possible 12 points in this category (which may or may not be challenging depending on the other criteria)

So what I suggest is you help them calculate this.

Now the other thing is depending on the NOC code, he qualifies under, it may or may not be near quota.

The CIC quotas are apparently very slow to update... there is on the web some spreadsheet which claims to track NOC quotas a bit better.

So you might want to look at that.

Wishin you well.

PS If intersted, they should book in for an IELTS test ASAP and apply to get his education credentials evaluated, these are all timely processes