Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Opening small buisness-not resident-residency?

Opening small buisness-not resident-residency?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:41 am
Just Joined

eblezard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening small buisness-not resident-residency?

I'm hoping to open a small buisness in BC, I've been living here a year and have just renewed my BUNAC visa for one more year.
I was hoping to use the buiness to gain residency, but there is a $400,000 minimum to be an investor.
Also I was told for a buisness to take me on and do an LMO then they have to of been open a year and have at least 5 staff, if this right?

I would really appreciate if any one could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Emily
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening small buisness-not resident-residency?

Originally Posted by eblezard
I'm hoping to open a small buisness in BC, I've been living here a year and have just renewed my BUNAC visa for one more year.
I was hoping to use the buiness to gain residency, but there is a $400,000 minimum to be an investor.
Also I was told for a buisness to take me on and do an LMO then they have to of been open a year and have at least 5 staff, if this right?

I would really appreciate if any one could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Emily
Investor - You give the money to the govt. they invest it. It's not to invest in your own business. You get no interest on this money.

You may be able to get a WP to start a business then apply for PR. Do you have a strong business plan in place, the money to start the business and support yourself? It is a gamble though, because the WP is only temporary and if for any reason PR is not granted, you have a lot invested in the business and would have to leave the country if your PR application was not granted and the TWP not renewed.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

More information can be found at:

Federal Program:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ness/index.asp

BC Program:
http://www.welcomebc.ca/en/immigrati...investors.html

Quebec Program:
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...ple/index.html

Other provinces may also have their own programs that you might consider.

Ray
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:31 pm
Lawyer

David L. Thomas is on a distinguished road

You have some options. There is the BC PNP program - they will look for a $200K investment in your own businss, provided it is outside of greater Vancouver. As was suggested, you can make application for a work permit, but a start up depends very much on the strength of the business plan and the track record of the applicant (or parent company) outside of Canada. There are some options, all depends on the facts, really...