Opening Canadian bank account

Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future
Default Opening Canadian bank account

Does anyone know if it is possible to open a bank account without a permanent Canadian address?

I have read that it is a good idea to open one asap, but we will be coming back to the Uk a week after we land. It there any benefit in depositing some money in an account or not?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening Canadian bank account

I don't know about doing it in Canada with no Canadian address, they might think that was a bit odd... but it's definitely possible outside of Canada with no Canadian address (the likes of HSBC etc).

But I wouldn't put large amounts of money in a Canadian account just for the sake of it, interest rates are really poor. And it doesn't help your credit rating or anything, so there's no advantage from that point of view.

Of course opening an account is one less hassle when you do move for good, but there's no real advantage to it if you don't need one until then.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

dandersen is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to let you know that when I spoke to TD Canada Trust about opening an account, they said it would be no problem, but I'd have to come to their branch to open an account. So I'll be doing it when I visit next.

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
Does anyone know if it is possible to open a bank account without a permanent Canadian address?

I have read that it is a good idea to open one asap, but we will be coming back to the Uk a week after we land. It there any benefit in depositing some money in an account or not?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:25 pm
We make IT happening

aat147 will become famous soon enoughaat147 will become famous soon enough

I did open both US/CAN $ account + secure credit card at TD Canada Trust without any problem. They told me that I have to provide them detail about my SIN; as I got it. This time I just went there for landing, opening bank account and SIN application.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:16 pm
Snow Man

pineys is an unknown quantity at this point

No problems at all. I opened one with CIBC in Fernie BC with my UK address. It was ten times more efficient that the UK. Two pieces if ID and 20 minutes later I had a cashpoint card and two accounts.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

We opened an account with Royal Bank of Canada and didn't require a Canadian address. We simply explained our situation and they were fine with it. The only thing we didn't get was the atm card, as I think RBC only mails them to addresses within Canada. We didn't really need that, though, so it was fine!

Tracey

Originally Posted by pineys
No problems at all. I opened one with CIBC in Fernie BC with my UK address. It was ten times more efficient that the UK. Two pieces if ID and 20 minutes later I had a cashpoint card and two accounts.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

I opened a bank account with HSBC in Canada whilst still in the UK. This is a service that they only offer to existing customers. You can walk into any branch in the UK and they will give you the forms and fill them in with you. The forms are sent to the international business centre in London, who liaise with the Canadian HSBC branch, on your behalf. It took about 3-4 weeks until my new account details arrived in the post. They give you a free phone number so that it doesn't cost you when you contact your Canadian branch.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:00 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Suggest you start with your own bank. I did this with HSBC on a recce last year so you dont need a Canadian address. Statements are sent to me in the UK. Also worth checking if the Canadian branch does a £ Sterling Account. The interest will be less than you can get in the UK at 2.5-3.05 but access to your £ is immediate when you plan to transfer to $CDN
Old Jan 31st 2006, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
I opened a bank account with HSBC in Canada whilst still in the UK. This is a service that they only offer to existing customers. You can walk into any branch in the UK and they will give you the forms and fill them in with you. The forms are sent to the international business centre in London, who liaise with the Canadian HSBC branch, on your behalf. It took about 3-4 weeks until my new account details arrived in the post. They give you a free phone number so that it doesn't cost you when you contact your Canadian branch.

Thanks, that's really useful information.I'll pay them a visit.