Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Open Work Permit while waiting for Common Law PR

Open Work Permit while waiting for Common Law PR

Old Feb 9th 2022, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

missmayej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open Work Permit while waiting for Common Law PR

Hi everyone,

First post here, I've been reading through the Canadian government website and the resources here and I'm still confused.

I am a dual Canadian and UK citizen intending to sponsor my fiancé/common-law partner (a UK citizen) so he can become a Permanent Resident and we can settle in Canada. We are currently living together in the UK. I read that sometimes you can apply for an open work permit in Canada once you've submitted a PR application and are waiting for it to be processed - my question is, can he apply for this from the UK, so that we could potentially move to Canada earlier?

I saw that he could apply for the permit from Canada as long as he had legal status, but how could he get in to Canada with legal status in the first place if he doesn't have a work permit or PR? He can't afford not to work for several months, if he were to enter on a tourist visa, or something like that. Therefore, to me, it would make sense to:

1) send off our sponsorship application, which we're currently working on
2) apply for the open permit from the UK while we're waiting to hear back
3) if it's approved, move to Canada and both get any old job until
4) the sponsorship application is (hopefully) approved and he gets PR, we look for careers in our respective fields, etc.

I hope this question makes sense. Sorry if it's been posted elsewhere, I'm still learning how to navigate this forum!

Thanks so much

Last edited by missmayej; Feb 9th 2022 at 3:46 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Work Permit while waiting for Common Law PR

Hi, welcome to BE.

You can only get an open work permit if you apply 'inland' i.e. from Canada (if you were already living there and your fiancé was there on another status i.e. a study permit or work permit). If you're applying from the UK ('outland') then it's not an option I'm afraid. If you've not discovered it already, then our Wiki has tons of useful info - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...d_Applications

And this Wiki article will be invaluable for help completing the application - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms

HTH, best of luck.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

missmayej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Open Work Permit while waiting for Common Law PR

Thank you, very helpful! I just couldn't seem to find an answer either way so now I know. Thanks also for the links, this forum is invaluable!